What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

How so and in what way ?

They tottally could.
Engine from X country
Armour from X country
Tracks from X country
E/O from X country

Could be best Tank in the world who knows!
They would transfer engineers from Otosan, tank engines aren't that different than truck engines. Get the Armor from Roketsan, electronics from Aselsan. They can make it more national than ALTAY ever will be.

And it wouldn't be made by Qataris, it would be made by Turks.

As explained here.

Let's get something clear.
Production of Altay has not been selected yet, development of Altays engine has been selected - BMC.
BMC and Rheinmetall have invested in joint venture RBSS that has participated in Altay tender. I'm sure you'll feel better on quality knowing that there's an German company involved.
On to the engine, BMC has hired 200 engineers, 70 of whome are foreign engineers and some notable individuals included in their ranks.

If anything, it seems to me like BMC would produce the best quality Altay, they have all the credentials they have all the backing.

No? :-)

They would transfer engineers from Otosan, tank engines aren't that different than truck engines. Get the Armor from Roketsan, electronics from Aselsan. They can make it more national than ALTAY ever will be.

Awesome! They should start straight away!

I think Otokar should make their own MBT now, and Beat ALTAY in foreign export market like a big fvck you to Qataris.

I would advise against that. But maybe they can find compromise. Otokar could help FNSS to build Altay (maybe share the production line and engineering support) and show his good will, not to think on his own profit first, in return they will get the contract for IFV.

BMC has to design, develop and produce a new engine and transmission for a tank weighing 65 tonnes. Their experience lies in engines that have the power to move vehicles up to 40 tonnes. A tank engine is a completely different class. In short, we can wait another 5 to 10 years.

Production of Altay has not been selected yet, development of Altays engine has been selected - BMC.
BMC and Rheinmetall have invested in joint venture RBSS that has participated in Altay tender. I'm sure you'll feel better on quality knowing that there's an German company involved.
So you hate foreign engines but love foreign engineers. Fantastic, how nationalistic of you :)
I would advise against that. But maybe they can find compromise. Otokar could help FNSS to build Altay (maybe share the production line and engineering support) and show his good will, not to think on his own profit first, in return they will get the contract for IFV.
eh, the whole 4 man crew configuration is getting old anyway.

Eventually we'll switch to either 130mm L51 type or a 140mm gun. Too heavy for the manual loader. A smart person can design an autoloading tank that can beat all the current ones.

“BMC Power” received both 905hp (40t IFV) and 1500hp (Altay engine) projects. The affair of this institute is to solely develop engines from 400hp to 5000hp turbo-diesel. I don’t know whether a foreign partner is involved for management in this institute but there is one thing for sure that It will be a strategic gain for Turkish defence industry in mid term since BMC Power is established to replace the mission German MTU carry out for Land and Naval vehicles. There is not an alternative eatablishment in Turkey who invest a new company to work as an engine excellence center.

On to the engine, BMC has hired 200 engineers, 70 of whome are foreign engineers and some notable individuals included in their ranks.

If anything, it seems to me like BMC would produce the best quality Altay, they have all the credentials they have all the backing.

No? :-)
As said my problem isnt BMC, my problem is the corruption involvement, this is a chronic problem of Turkey that has been paralyzing the country even before the republic. Otherwise they can build the tank with Qatari money with Qatari engineers for all i care, thats not the thing im speaking about here.
We must combat corruption instead of being delusioned by short term successes because it harms the country in the long run.

Another exsample in video:

So you hate foreign engines but love foreign engineers. Fantastic, how nationalistic of you :)

I dislike engines that have 'political' strings attached.
Fact that they got foreign engineers in to develop a few engines for Turkey is a huge success on it's own, brain drain reversed :-)

Eventually we'll switch to either 130mm L51 type or a 140mm gun. Too heavy for the manual loader. A smart person can design an autoloading tank that can beat all the current ones.

I don’t tell anything about man crew nor autoloader. Only sharehold and a compromise.

I don’t tell anything about man crew nor autoloader. Only sharehold and a compromise.

Sooner or later we'll need a new tank, Altay 2 or whatever, it could be a state sponsored project or a private venture.
I dislike engines that have 'political' strings attached.
Fact that they got foreign engineers in to develop a few engines for Turkey is a huge success on it's own, brain drain reversed :-)
Except it's not, they are here for qatari natural gas money, you think any of these people plan to stay in Turkey? Neither will Qataris, it only took one Lawrence last time.

ill-make-my-own-mbt-with-blackjack-and-hookers.jpg

I don’t think Otokar is unloyal, not not to AKP. In my opinion, Erdogan risks security of Turkey and Turks with that (friend/foe) behavior.
Otokar is a company of Koç Group employing hundreds of thousands people whose products are sold to the world including UK, Germany, France.
So, It is the most patriotic/loyal company of Turkey in my opinion especially when compared to those who do nothing useful for the country but just talk.

I have more to say but keep silence for now and also off-topic.
---------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Having built a tank with genuine engine , putting autoloader and larger caliber gun wouldnt be problem.

idont understand how people defend otokar that much.. otokar koc group is richest company and family in turkey..look Korean companies where they are. kia hyunda etc. koc even can not make a one turkish brand car in 30-40 years.i expecting them to be more nationalist..but all they care is money.so bmc seems more eaglerly than koc group..and they have arab money,i mean why not if they offer better koc,i believe they can handle it very well even better than koc group

Having built a tank with genuine engine , putting autoloader and larger caliber gun wouldnt be problem.
I have an idea about that too. I want an electrical tank, and I want the batteries to be wrapped around the tank inside body panels working like a second layer of armor. :)

Replacing damaged batteries would be like lifting the side skirts of the tank to do maintenance on tracks. So they would be protected from light arms fire behind a sheet of metal but easy to reach.

Good thing is, electrical engines are rather simple, bad thing is that you would probably have abysmal range.

idont understand how people defend otokar that much.. otokar koc group is richest company and family in turkey..look Korean companies where they are. kia hyunda etc. koc even can not make a one turkish brand car in 30-40 years.i expecting them to be more nationalist..but all they care is money.
They could easily invest in other countries yet they keep their investments here and they pay enormous amounts of taxes.

You don't know what rich people do to avoid paying taxes. That's a huge thing.

Back
Top Bottom