What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

I think we're gonna stick with the Al-Khalid series & the AK-2 as the Heavy Tank may have some sort of collaboration but I don't think its very likely that we'd go for the Altays !

The AKs offer us almost everything we need - Its the Add-Ons we'd want the collaboration on just as we do with the Ukranians !

AK-II is reportedly receiving some help from Turks.
@nabil_05

Last edited by a moderator:
@Armstrong @cabatli_53

When gets Pakistan a steady economy. My armor wishlist would look like this.

600 MBT-2000
500 Al-khalid 1
1000 Al-Khalid II
500 Altay [desert optimized]
500 Al-zarrar 1/2.

I will convert all old Chinese Chassis to Tank busters or anti air craft mobile launchers/mine sweepers.

ALTAY TANK SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THE WINTER TESTS

http://www.trthaber.com/haber/gundem/altay-kis-testinden-basariyla-gecti-80407.html
http://www.trthaber.com/haber/gundem/altay-kis-testinden-basariyla-gecti-80407.html

altay6-1.jpg

Can a turkie member point out the biggest reason behind the development of Altay MBT, i undestand that turkie armforces have specific requirement but likewise similar to Canada, turkie does have access to NATO MBTs, which are on par and if i must say very similar to the Altay MBT not asserting that it is entirely similar to Leopard series MBT 2A6. The big question is the project worth the cost that turkie is going through and I know this question sounds a tad bit idiotic but making a tank is not joke on a country's economy especially a 3++ generation one at that.

@liontk
First of all, I don't think Abrams or Leclerc are on par with Altay. The only design that seems to be answering Turkish Army's demands is Leopard 2. But Leopard 2 is getting older even though it has advanced versions Like Aselsan's NG and Rheinmetall's A7+ variants.

We think that it's time somebody make a new design from scratch. From the beginning it was our intention to make the best tank in the world, as a policy of SSM, Turkish defence industry always aims to compete with German products as we think they are the best in the market. That brings us to how Altay will beat the latest Leopard 2.

I think the most important feature will be the new composite armor based on boron carbide. If you did your research it is much harder than ceramic and DU that are being used in Leopard 2's and Abrams' composites respectively. You can also notice that Altay is slightly shorter than Leopard 2. Another addition will be the new Volkan 3 FCS currently under development by Aselsan. Volkan was first used in Turkish Army Leopard 1 tanks and Volkan 2 is the main feature of Aselsan's NG upgrade program for the Army's Leopard2 A4s. Rest of the subsystems will be either same or similar to those of Leopard 2.

This project was originally started to meet Turkish Army's needs but obviously such a high quality product will be appreciated by our allies too. Lastly, I'm supporting the idea of producing our equipment at home instead of buying expensive European labor. R&D costs are very serious when you include technical help from Korean Hyundai Rotem but lower production costs and possible export income may very well compensate for that.

From the beginning it was our intention to make the best tank in the world, as a policy of SSM, Turkish defence industry always aims to compete with German products as we think they are the best in the market

Much respect - really appreciate the attitude.

Altay firing trials...

Side armours are taking shape but Front armours are removed. I really wonder the final design of Altay...

529606_556292504410567_960918609_n.jpg

Sides looks like first design image revealed at the beggining...

010411_otokaraltay.jpg

@liontk
First of all, I don't think Abrams or Leclerc are on par with Altay. The only design that seems to be answering Turkish Army's demands is Leopard 2. But Leopard 2 is getting older even though it has advanced versions Like Aselsan's NG and Rheinmetall's A7+ variants.

We think that it's time somebody make a new design from scratch. From the beginning it was our intention to make the best tank in the world, as a policy of SSM, Turkish defence industry always aims to compete with German products as we think they are the best in the market. That brings us to how Altay will beat the latest Leopard 2.

I think the most important feature will be the new composite armor based on boron carbide. If you did your research it is much harder than ceramic and DU that are being used in Leopard 2's and Abrams' composites respectively. You can also notice that Altay is slightly shorter than Leopard 2. Another addition will be the new Volkan 3 FCS currently under development by Aselsan. Volkan was first used in Turkish Army Leopard 1 tanks and Volkan 2 is the main feature of Aselsan's NG upgrade program for the Army's Leopard2 A4s. Rest of the subsystems will be either same or similar to those of Leopard 2.

This project was originally started to meet Turkish Army's needs but obviously such a high quality product will be appreciated by our allies too. Lastly, I'm supporting the idea of producing our equipment at home instead of buying expensive European labor. R&D costs are very serious when you include technical help from Korean Hyundai Rotem but lower production costs and possible export income may very well compensate for that.

It's without a doubt a fantastic tank in it's look and specs as for now, but I think you are exaggerating by stating it's the best,and underestimating Western Challenger-2, Abrams M1A2 and Lecrec. As for now the project isn't mature yet and and there is nothing revolutionary in it's design or concept to say it's made from scratch. I would say it's on par with Western tanks, I like it, it's very beautiful.

what is its performance in the desert terrain n temperatures as high as say 50 degrees??

@cabatli_53 : How good are Altay's in desert conditions ? Because if we use them we'd use them in the sweltering hot & dusty desert plains of Southern Punjab & Northern Sindh Sector - Pakistan's underbelly on the East - Just next door to the Indian state of Rajastan ! Up North - the Fertile Plains of Punjab would make such a heavy tank extremely unsuitable !
Altay will have MTU power pack.

Similar powerpack is used on Merkava Mk4 and Leclerc Tropic (for UAE). Both work fine in desert. So Altay should not have problems as well.

Leclerc Tropic:
leclerc_06.JPG

It's without a doubt a fantastic tank in it's look and specs as for now, but I think you are exaggerating by stating it's the best,and underestimating Western Challenger-2, Abrams M1A2 and Lecrec. As for now the project isn't mature yet and and there is nothing revolutionary in it's design or concept to say it's made from scratch. I would say it's on par with Western tanks, I like it, it's very beautiful.
duh :fie:
I said "the project's aim was to develop the best tank in the world" It's not even operational yet, so obviously it's not there yet. How it will get there? I've explained in my previous post.

Most importantly the power pack will be German MTU in first batch 250 tanks at least so of fvcking course it'll take some time to mature.

Altay firing trials...

Side armours are taking shape but Front armours are removed. I really wonder the final design of Altay...
I don't think that front armor was there to begin with. It was a mock-up, composites are not ready yet. Front armor's shape too may change but what's more important is the material.

I'd really like to have some composites on the glacis plate too.. it'd be real nasty :D Driver too deserves the protection that rest of the crew enjoys huh? :)

Back
Top Bottom