What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

@cabatli_53

Hypothetically,What would 500 of these in Pakistan Army do to the Indian armor :what:

Last edited by a moderator:
Where does the name Altay come from?

ALTAY Main Battle Tank is named after Turkish General Fahrettin ALTAY, the commander of the V. Cavalry Corps who achieved great success during the Turkish War of Independence between 1919 and 1922.

Yes but also "ALTAY" is the name of mounts in our father-land in the middle-asia.

@cabatli_53

Hypothetically,What would 500 of these in Pakistan Army do to the Indian armor :what:

Considering both Pakistan and India operates light weight Eastern Armor because of terrain and Altay happens to be in Western Armor categoy with a weight over 65 tons i would say they would utterly fail.

1st pic´s look like a Leo2A4 and second looks like a Leo2A5 :)

Impossible, First the LeopardA4 doesnt have such a huge scope on its Turret and second has clearly L/55 Barrel.

@cabatli_53

Depends, The Arjun ,as the most western tank in Indian inventory, can be comparable with Altay although stil lacking the goodies the Altay will be armed with (Hard/Soft-kill APS, Dont know about new Mk2). The Ajeyas and Bishmas it would eat for lunch :P

Yes but also "ALTAY" is the name of mounts in our father-land in the middle-asia.

Named after this guy.

Fahrettin Altay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the Abrahams didn't cut it - Why would the Altays ?

If optimised for desert performance, for sure.

Considering both Pakistan and India operates light weight Eastern Armor because of terrain and Altay happens to be in Western Armor categoy with a weight over 65 tons i would say they would utterly fail.

That was 1988, this is 2013. A lot has changed since, and there is almost no comparison between the m1a1 and this monstrous m.fuker! :lol:

@cabatli_53

Bro, You know Altay is under development phase but It is supposed that Altay will reach a weight around 65-66 tonnes. As you see Each prototypes have different turret shapes designed by Otokar/Roketsan engineers. Roketsan along with Nurol develop completely new armour technology based on Boron and Expected protection level for new armours is really high. Along with Roketsan armours, Otokar is also applying own developed different type of armours in some parts of tank and Such developments will proceed until Engineers catch the best performances in field. In additions, There are some other subsystems which will make Altay much more sophisticated and complicated as well such as AKKOR active protection system.

Even in all conditions, The moblity of tanks remain a key performance criteria which designates operational capabilities of design by countries geography. Altay is being designed to hunt heavy armoured Western Tanks in open Western fields bro That's why Our Tanks will be as heavy as German or French tanks. That's why Most of Altay's will be stationed in West to counter Greek Leopard2A6 tanks so Such heavy class tanks suck so bad in mountainous areas, Even If they have one of the best in World. but In Open field, 500 of them will be a big and serious headache for enemy tanks. It isn't important which generation tanks enemy have. We describes Altay as 3+ generation which will be a real nighmare for Greeks in future If they attempt to do something bad near our borders...

@cabatli_53 : How good are Altay's in desert conditions ? Because if we use them we'd use them in the sweltering hot & dusty desert plains of Southern Punjab & Northern Sindh Sector - Pakistan's underbelly on the East - Just next door to the Indian state of Rajastan ! Up North - the Fertile Plains of Punjab would make such a heavy tank extremely unsuitable !

@cabatli_53
So they will then move the Leopard 2A4 in the Turkish Army to the East and Replace the M60 ´s with that ? While we have stationed in future enough Altay´s in the Europe Border ?

Maybe if Pakisten buy´s the Altay they call him maybe : Al-Altay :)

@cabatli_53 : How good are Altay's in desert conditions ? Because if we use them we'd use them in the sweltering hot & dusty desert plains of Southern Punjab & Northern Sindh Sector - Pakistan's underbelly on the East - Just next door to the Indian state of Rajastan ! Up North - the Fertile Plains of Punjab would make such a heavy tank extremely unsuitable !

Only way to learn it is to test Altay in desert. The prototypes are in winter tests at present. Maybe in future When the Altay passed into serial production, We may learn it. :)

@cabatli_53
So they will then move the Leopard 2A4 in the Turkish Army to the East and Replace the M60 ´s with that ? While we have stationed in future enough Altay´s in the Europe Border ?

Maybe if Pakisten buy´s the Altay they call him maybe : Al-Altay :)

This doesn't mean Altay tanks wouldn't be used in East but You know Greece is the sole big armour power which Turkey's latest egenration tanks are prepared to counter, While other obsoletes are stationed in East. That's why I think Altay's primery role will be "ready for battle against Western tanks"

I think they will upgrade the Leo2´s to Leo2NG and let them stay there with Sabra´s.

The Biggest European Tank Army is in Greece.

@Armstrong

I have a feeling that the Army will test drive Altay at some stage if the Arjun MK-II production goes ahead.

@cabatli_53

In my opinion, Altay > Leo2A6

@Armstrong

I have a feeling that the Army will test drive Altay at some stage if the Arjun MK-II production goes ahead.

@cabatli_53

In my opinion, Altay > Leo2A6

I think we're gonna stick with the Al-Khalid series & the AK-2 as the Heavy Tank may have some sort of collaboration but I don't think its very likely that we'd go for the Altays !

The AKs offer us almost everything we need - Its the Add-Ons we'd want the collaboration on just as we do with the Ukranians !

@Aeronaut

Altay will be something very different except for Turkish Army requirement ,that means a World War 3 or against the World :)

Back
Top Bottom