What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

The problem with this isn't the decision (tenders are generally better for taxpayers) but how long it took to get here.

Turkey To Relaunch Altay Tank Tender Process

altay_1497273690.jpg

Turkey To Relaunch Altay Tank Tender Process
- A +
Turkey’s defense industry Friday has decided to relaunch the tender process for the Modern Tank Production project, known as the Altay project, after it declined Otokar's proposal.

A statement posted by Otokar on the Public Disclosure Platform (KAP) noted that the Undersecretariat of Defense Industries (SSM) informed Otokar that the administrative, financial and technical aspects of the company's proposal were evaluated but an agreement on the terms of the contract, particularly regarding financial aspects, could not be reached, Daily Sabah reported Sunday.

Otokar said it will decide on the tender process after closely monitoring the statements issued by the SSM.

FNSS, a joint venture owned by Turkish Nurol Holding and UK-based BAE Systems, has also expressed its interests in the Altay project.

A prominent player in the Turkish defense industry with its armored and tactical wheeled vehicles, the BMC is also among Turkish defense firms that indicated plans to participate in the Altay project. Chairman of BMC Ethem Sancak previously noted that his company was ready to submit proposals for the tender as a determined suitor for the project.

Previously, in the 2017-2021 Strategic Plan published by the SSM, the primary date for the first Altay Main Battle Tank entering service was set for 2020. According to the plan, the first 15 tanks will be put into service in 2020, while 20 tanks will be delivered in 2021.

Altay is a third-generation version of the main battle tank and Turkey's first indigenous tank development program.

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/19543/Turkey_To_Relaunch_Altay_Tank_Tender_Process#.WT9XmpDytEY

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/ot...tank.aspx?pageID=238&nID=114242&NewsCatID=345
n_114242_1.jpg

Stocks of Koç Holding’s Otokar plummeted nearly 10 percent on June 12 after Turkey’s defense authority refused to accept the company’s offer to start mass production of the main domestic battle tank Altay.

In a statement late on June 9, Otokar said its final offer to start the mass production of the Altay was found ineligible by the Undersecretary of Defense Industry (SSM), due to disagreements over some contract terms, mainly over price, adding the authority would likely meet the need through a tender.

Otokar, which developed a number of Altay prototypes, said it had submitted its final offer to the SSM to start mass production of the vehicle, in a written statement on Aug. 29, 2016.

The final offer included the mass production of 250 Altay tank units and their integrated logistic support operations, according to the statement.

In the first trading day following the June 9 announcement, the company shares took a nosedive, although some other defense companies, which have operations in defense vehicle building, saw a significant rise.

After Otokar stocks plummeted early June 12, its continuous trading was suspended and an order collection of the call auction period began, the company said June 12.

After losing value by 16.9 percent in early trading, the company shares slightly rebounded to nearly a 9.5 percent decrease at noon, Reuters reported.

İş Yatırım investment analyst Esra Şirinel told Reuters that company shares saw steep sales after the SSM’s announcement on the tanks.

“It is not clear whether the SSM will open a tender for mass production, but this can be the case mainly for local players. This has resulted in mass purchases for stocks of Katmerciler and Tümosan. These companies, however, do not have any experience in producing armored tracked battle tanks,” said Şirinel, as quoted by Reuters.

Turkish vehicle equipment maker Katmerciler, known for its riot-suppression vehicles called TOMAs, witnessed a more than 10 percent increase in its stocks on June 12.

Turkish engine maker Tümosan’s stocks also rose by around 2.3 percent, according to the Reuters report.

Although there are various companies that can produce wheeled and armored vehicles in Turkey, very few companies can make tracked armored tanks.

FNSS, 51 percent of which is owned by Turkey’s Nurol Holding and the remaining 49 percent by the United Kingdom’s BAE Systems, is experienced in tracked armored vehicles.

BMC, which is owned by Turkish businessman Ethem Sancak and a Qatari fund, also produces an armored wheeled vehicle, dubbed the Kirpi, for the Turkish Armed Forces.

June/12/2017

Motor tasarım işini yandaş firma TÜMOSAN'a verdiler. Avusturyalı firma yan çizdi, motor işi fiyasko.
Ortada motor yok ama seri imalat ihalesi iptal ediliyor ve bir yandaşa verilmek üzere üzere yeni ihale açılıyor.
Altay gururumuz olabilirdi. Her iş gibi bunu da ellerine yüzlerine bulaştırdılar.

Motor tasarım işini yandaş firma TÜMOSAN'a verdiler. Avusturyalı firma yan çizdi, motor işi fiyasko.
Ortada motor yok ama seri imalat ihalesi iptal ediliyor ve bir yandaşa verilmek üzere üzere yeni ihale açılıyor.
Altay gururumuz olabilirdi. Her iş gibi bunu da ellerine yüzlerine bulaştırdılar.

^this

Deal will go to Ethem sancak erdos buddy.
At this point I hope BMC wins the tender, just to annoy you guys.

All jokes aside, if I think about it. I wanted Otokar to win the tender because of all the experience. But when I look at FNSS and their showing at IDEF 2017, this company are always working on improving their products. Compared to FNSS, Otokar looked like it showed the same products it did in 2015 (apart from Altay AHT).

If FNSS gets it, I think they will keep on improving Altay for years to come. Maybe it (or it's successor or derivatives) will become a true contender to Germany's Leopard tanks on the international stage, putting Turkey in the same league as Germany when it comes to tanks.

At this point I hope BMC wins the tender, just to annoy you guys.

All jokes aside, if I think about it. I wanted Otokar to win the tender because of all the experience. But when I look at FNSS and their showing at IDEF 2017, this company are always working on improving their products. Compared to FNSS, Otokar looked like it showed the same products it did in 2015 (apart from Altay AHT).

If FNSS gets it, I think they will keep on improving Altay for years to come. Maybe it (or it's successor or derivatives) will become a true contender to Germany's Leopard tanks on the international stage, putting Turkey in the same league as Germany when it comes to tanks.

Yes, it’s true !

When we see this, we tell ourselves, yes nothing prevents it.

Well the development stage is finished what changes do you expect, its not Otokars fault that the tender gets delayed.
I don't think you understood what I wrote in my message, re-read it please. Read Bubblegum's post as well because his post kind of further clarifies my post.

Well...Whoever take the deal... the ALtay will be the same...since it will go through manufacturing and quality check... therefore whoever the manufacturer ... that tank will be the same...
At this point...who cares who get it... just Make it...
it's not like that cheering Otokar or not... we will get something from them...

Back
Top Bottom