What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

Is the turret the final design?

I'm saying this not via knowledge but i'm guessing it is not, since it is just a mock up on a prototype. I'm sure cabatli or Quasar can give you a more detailed answer.

Probably not, P1 produced yet test will continue and it design could change according to test result as well as P4 will include addon armour.

Regards.

Most probably, FTR (Firing test rig) prototype of Altay has the expected turret which some changes may also be applied for latest P4(Maybe sloping add-on turret side armours(remember first design image revealed)...etc). In following days, FTR Altay will be equipped with Aselsan FCS called Volkan-III to commence firing trials.

vCVBZ.jpg

010411_otokaraltay.jpg

If The P-4 looks like The first design image posted above, I think The weight of Altay with Sarp RCW and AKKOR active protection system will exceed 68 tonnes...

Also I m interest that where did the turkish armor technology came from at the very beginning?

I don't think it was just supported by Korean

before that,turkey had already produced lots of armored viehicles

Also I m interest that where did the turkish armor technology came from at the very beginning?

I don't think it was just supported by Korean

before that,turkey had already produced lots of armored viehicles

Nurol armour and Roketsan.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Tarjanus I think we've had enough people working on composite materials, but before Altay there was little use for them.

As most people know APCs and IFVs rely on homogen steel armor for ballistic protection.

We got Roketsan making add-on reactive armor blocks that will be mounted on sides of the turret. But i don't have exact information wether Nurol or Roketsan came up with boron carbide based composite front armor.

If Roketsan, it's %100 sure the technology came from South Korea, If it's Nurol it's domestic. Roketsan/w Korean know-how is the most probable.

As I know Korean armor technology maybe from US when they designed K1

Actually I wonder how good is the Korean armor compare to UK or US

@Tarjanus I think we've had enough people working on composite materials, but before Altay there was little use for them.

As most people know APCs and IFVs rely on homogen steel armor for ballistic protection.

We got Roketsan making add-on reactive armor blocks that will be mounted on sides of the turret. But i don't have exact information wether Nurol or Roketsan came up with boron carbide based composite front armor.

If Roketsan, it's %100 sure the technology came from South Korea, If it's Nurol it's domestic. Roketsan/w Korean know-how is the most probable.

Tubitak has serious armour knowledge working during years. Lots of Tubitak engineers transfered to Roketsan new Ballistic Protection Center known Turkey's all type armours excellance area. Nurol is the master of Ceramic armours (aluminium oxide, silicon carbide, reaction bonded silicon carbide, boron carbide and reaction bonded boron carbide) and Aliminium carbide armour technologies that is working as a subcontactor of Roketsan for Altay Heavy Armour blocks...

As I know Korean armor technology maybe from US when they designed K1

Actually I wonder how good is the Korean armor compare to UK or US
I'm almost sure our boron carbide based composites will be stronger than Abrams' DU and Leopeard 2's ceramics but never so sure about British dorchester armor, it's probably the strongest composite armor around the world and will remain that way.

Unfortunately Challenger 2 is a very problematic design as was most British post-war tanks including chieftain. Chieftain is still my favorite 2. generation tank btw, love it :)

And @cabatli_53 that cleared some things and reminded me some, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of Tubitak SAGE engineers were also transfered to Roketsan's Missile Technologies establishment. Some media sources call it as politic games over Tubitak...

At present, Tubitak SAGE's SOM cruise missile family technologies are being transfered to Roketsan. Not only manufacturing, but also marketing activities will be held by Roketsan (As far as I know, Roketsan has 1500+ workers at present).

Back
Top Bottom