What's new

Agni 5 Weight is 23 Tons > PK Senguta

IND151

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
According to PK Sengupta, launch-weight of the definitive A-5 ICBM is 23 tonnes.

Bhaswar> You've stated that the Agni-5 weighs in at 25 tons. I cannot help but ask if you have any articles or links supplementing your statement.

Reply of PK Sengupta was as follow:-

To BHASWAR & NAGARAJAN: No, I don’t have any external links. The figures are all listed in the DRDO’s annual products directory, a copy of which I had collected last week during my visit to the DRDO pavilion at Kolkata’s Salt Lake Stadium Grounds. 50 tonnes is the total weight of the Agni-5, its cannister & its TELAR-based communications & fire-control system, i.e. the complete weapon system. That’s how the DRDO publishes its figures. But if the ‘desi’ mass-media misinterprets this as being the launch-weight of Agni-5 (since the ‘desi’ journalists have yet to see the cannister or the TELAR & are therefore erroneously assuming that the published weight figures pertain to only what has been visually revealed, i.e.the missile), then whose fault is it? The error then gets compiunded when certain analysts use such erroneous figures to be their own comparative analysis, whose fundamentals & foundations are all totally off-the-mark.

To NAGARAJAN: The launch-weight of the definitive A-5 ICBM is 23 tonnes.

January 10, 2013 11:08 PM

TRISHUL: Snapshots Of DRDO Exhibits At ISC's 'Pride Of India' Expo In Kolkata

A little too less but has to be less than 40tons... thanks to composite motor casings in the 2nd and 3rd stage with composite REV.
Only 1st stage is of maraging steel so yes lot less weight than Agni 3.

Agni VI would be even lighter with all stages sing composite casings[If it follows the same dimension path as with Agni3 and 5].

How many nations have developed land-based canisters so far? US, Russia & China, thats it? or are there
any other..?

PS - I dont think UK & France made any such canisters because all their ICBMs are submarine-based.

This news will struck India bashers like a lightning :lol:

This is awesome news!

Impossible 23 tons,

Angni 5: 17m long ,diameter 2m,
Trident missile I(D4):10.4m long, diameter 1.8m, 29.5tons
Trident missile II(D5):13.96m long, diameter 1.89m, 58tons
DF-31:13m long, diameter 2.25m, 42tons

if Angni 5: 17m long ,diameter 2m, only 23tons, I must say that India far behind at Solid fuel teck

A little too less but has to be less than 40tons... thanks to composite motor casings in the 2nd and 3rd stage with composite REV.
Only 1st stage is of maraging steel so yes lot less weight than Agni 3.

Agni VI would be even lighter with all stages sing composite casings[If it follows the same dimension path as with Agni3 and 5].

I think A 6 will weigh 3-4 tons more than A 5 if its first stage motor is very powerful to to give faster acceleration to A 6(in order to reduce burning time and making satellite detection more difficult; just like Topol M).

BTW PK Sengupta says A 6 is imaginary; though he admits that there will be a SLBM for S 5 SSBN with 6500 KM range.

Its somewhat believable as one DRDO official has already said next missile from Agni family will not be named Agni 6.

Buddy I don't know anything about technical stuff. I am just a normal poster. :D

Sorry. I called you as you are JTT so you might know more about this.
@Oscar, @Penguin> what do you think about this claim?

Last edited by a moderator:
Impossible 23 tons,

Angni 5: 17m long ,diameter 2m,
Trident missile I(D4):10.4m long, diameter 1.8m, 29.5tons
Trident missile II(D5):13.96m long, diameter 1.89m, 58tons
DF-31:13m long, diameter 2.25m, 42tons

if Angni 5: 17m long ,diameter 2m, only 23tons, I must say that India far behind at Solid fuel teck

Those were developed long before the use of composite materials began in earnest in aviation. Planes, missiles et al were made of metal. Now, with the advance in composite materials, the weight of airframes and missiles have significantly reduced. There is a reason why Tejas was able to be made this light. It is made entirely out of composites, and that has been one of the biggest rewards of the Tejas program - the experience that India got in producing advanced composite materials. A lot of research was done in that area in India, and this is one of the areas where you see the efforts paying off. Agni 5 would not have been possible at the current specifications if India had not invested so much time and energy in making Tejas an all composite airframe (not to mention the advantages it gives to Tejas itself.) When people say that the LCA Tejas program gave India a lot more than just a fighter, they are not joking. A5 would not have had ICBM or IRBM ranges if it used an all metal body.

That said, the figure of 23 tonnes sounds dubious. Nobody officially associated with the program has contradicted the figures widely published in Indian media, of the weight of the missile being about 49 tonnes. Even Sengupta says he doesn't have any published statements, only word of mouth. SO we are expected to believe him when he says that. For a wide variety of reasons, all to do with his past behavior, his word carries little credibility.

If it weighs under 50 tonnes with the dimensions you mentioned, and with the range it has, it has already done brilliantly in weight reduction, as compared to older missiles like Trident II.

Back
Top Bottom