What's new

Agni 5 Weight is 23 Tons > PK Senguta

Impossible 23 tons,

Angni 5: 17m long ,diameter 2m,
Trident missile I(D4):10.4m long, diameter 1.8m, 29.5tons
Trident missile II(D5):13.96m long, diameter 1.89m, 58tons
DF-31:13m long, diameter 2.25m, 42tons

if Angni 5: 17m long ,diameter 2m, only 23tons, I must say that India far behind at Solid fuel teck

Trident II weighs 59 tons (58 tons according to your own post) despite being 13 M long, 1.88 Meter in diameter;while A 5 weighs only 23 tons while being 17.5 Meters long and 2 Meter in diameter

So how India is far behind in solid fuel tech?

How many nations have developed land-based canisters so far? US, Russia & China, thats it? or are there
any other..?

PS - I dont think UK & France made any such canisters because all their ICBMs are submarine-based.

pakistan has developed canister for babur cruise missile

Trident II weighs 59 tons (58 tons according to your own post) despite being 13 M long, 1.88 Meter in diameter;while A 5 weighs only 23 tons while being 17.5 Meters long and 2 Meter in diameter

simple,at least 70% weight of missile is fuel, more than 80% weight of rochet is fuel, If huge volume only contains little weight fuel, you know the degree....

Impossible 23 tons,

Angni 5: 17m long ,diameter 2m,
Trident missile I(D4):10.4m long, diameter 1.8m, 29.5tons
Trident missile II(D5):13.96m long, diameter 1.89m, 58tons
DF-31:13m long, diameter 2.25m, 42tons

if Angni 5: 17m long ,diameter 2m, only 23tons, I must say that India far behind at Solid fuel teck

I thought it is the other way around!!

Typical Chins logic... If a missile is 200+ tons and has to be carried by 3 Big trucks then its a good missile for them.
@IND151... Agni 6 is not imaginary It will be a test bed for SLBM too... with upwards 6000km range... and with MIRVs... various journals and pdf have shown its existence... It would have all three stages composite... the 1st stage in Agni 5 is the heaviest in the missile... If that stage is made composite it would reduce another 4-5 tons or so... making up for the increase due to extra component or amounting to a little increase in wight may be upto 2-3tons.

Last edited by a moderator:
pakistan has developed canister for babur cruise missile

Nope, they're from China. They are actually derived from the CJ-10 canister produced in China.

Canister is not an easy simple thing for every little nation to make.

^^ yes. it carries 3 CMs.

India has developed canister for Shaurya Missile

A canister carries only a single missile. In Babur's case, 4 canisters containing 1 missile each are
packed together on top of a TEL truck. Chinese have decided to put only 3 canisters on 1 truck.

Not just Shaurya but the canisters of BrahMos Block-2 and Block-3 are also from India.

And then also look at the percentage of composite usage in A 5 which is more than Trident's.

And then also look at the percentage of composite usage in A 5 which is more than Trident's.

@Oscar, @Penguin> what do you think about this claim?

Quite possible, Its size is similar to the SS-11 missile.. which weighed in at some 41 tonnes back then.. however.. materials tech has changed a lot since then.

I suspect India is understating the Range of the Newer Agni by quite a bit in an effort to avoid scrutiny.

^^ yes. it carries 3 CMs.

India has developed canister for Shaurya Missile

Thanks for starting this thread. When I picked up on the news I really didn't know which members to ask for any clarifications or opinions but you've done that for me. :yahoo: THANKS! It is possible that the weight of the missile might be in the range of 25 tonnes or so due to the extensive usage of composites. With regard to India underplaying the range of the system, a decrease in the weight of the warhead or construction of the first stage of the missile with a high composite content may well increase the range of the system within a 7000km range perhaps (the latter option does not seem to have been undertaken, at least not certifiably) but to try and fit in the 8000km figure given by the Chinese into this equation would seem speculative at best.

@sancho, @KRAIT, @XiNiX> Kindly take a look at this thread. Do you believe its true? Please comment.

In My Humble Openion, we must take Mr. Gupta's Reporting with a pinch of salt.

Using the Agni 3 Data, AGNI 3 Mass Has been Confirmed by ALMOST ALL the sources to be 48 - 48.5 Tons.

Adding an Extra Stage ( to AGNI 3 ) and yet achieveing Launch Mass of 23 Tons ( Agni 5 ) .. seems a bit uncomfortable to me.

Add to it This Referance :

"Agni V has strike range of 5,000 km and is built with high composite content to reduce its weight. The first stage is made of composites while the missile's second and third stages have a large content of composites," Chander said.

He said at 49 tonnes, Agni V weighs around one tonne more than Agni III but its range has gone up far more. The Agni III missile's range is around 3,500 km.

On the issue of joining hands with Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and draw out a common component sourcing strategy to bring down the hardware cost, Chander said: "It is true there are common technologies between rockets and missiles. But in the case of a missile, it has to re-enter the atmosphere to strike whereas it is not so with the ISRO rockets. Further component specifications would also change."

I Think Mr. Gupta's Claims gets Negated with This :

TECHNICAL WEIGHT ANALYSIS for AGNI 3 :

First Stage: The first stage is approximately 31 tonnes mass and length of 7.7 meters. This stage's specific impulse (ISP) of 237/269 is believed to be better than Agni-II booster and closer to large solid motor currently in use on Indian space launchers. The stage has 28 tonnes (approx.) of high -energy solid fuel and 75 seconds burn time. Composite material case reduces the dead weight increasing its propulsion efficiency. It employs flex nozzle for yaw, pitch and roll thus dispenses with air fins, enabling container stowage & launch. This is the first Indian use of flex nozzle solid fuel stage for booster stage allowing greater flight control during the ascent through dense atmosphere including the maximum-Q point approximately 30 seconds into the flight.

Second Stage: The 1.1 meter long vented interstage is light-weight and ensures better vehicle control and reliable second stage separation. The second stage mass is about 12 tonnes and length of 3.9 meters (including 0.8 m payload adapter). The stage currently employs maraging steel case that could be later upgraded to composites to maximize fuel mass fraction that is critical to realize long range, especially with lighter payload. The second stage also employs flex nozzles to provide necessary in-flight trajectory control. The high energy solid fuel of the stage burns slowly for about 105 seconds using high expansion ratio nozzle making it a very efficient engine.

In My Humble Openion, we must take Mr. Gupta's Reporting with a pinch of salt.
Using the Agni 3 Data, AGNI 3 Mass Has been Confirmed by ALMOST ALL the sources to be 48 - 48.5 Tons.

Adding an Extra Stage and getting Launch Mass of 23 Tons.. seems a bit uncomfortable to me.

Add to it This Referance :

Now this changes the whole equation. Thank you for bringing in this tidbit which I was unaware of, I think I'll have to rollback on my previous post as far the weight of the Agni-5 system is concerned. Although Prasun Sengupta claims to have come across the information in a DRDO printout/informative booklet/brochure. Perhaps we should request him to scan the said document if he can and present it on his blog?

@ @IND151 prasun sengupta said many things in the comment section which are very much suspicious like
-Army may look to CLGM as possible replacement of namica launched nag....(how can a laser guided missile mainly to be launged from a tanks gun can be a replacement for a 3rd gen Fire&Forget missile??)
-Pinaka-2 is a 60km rocket "already with army" (as HEML has made a more powerful propellent and ARDE a "bit long" rocket which extends its range).The picture showed on display is that of a 120km+ 300mm rocket being developed by ARDE ( then why the hell did OFB signed a ToT with RZO Smerch during recent putin's visit to manufacture the rockets here???)
-Rudra will be handed over to the army by march,will undergo 1 & 1/2yrs training with AAC,then CEMILLAC will issue certificates by 2015...first eight will reach the army by 2016,then the army will order 114( although it was reported everywhere the total requirement of IA and IAF combined is 76),after that the IoC & FoC intialization will occur.
-Currently undergoing trials are Arjun MBT-1A...Arjun-2 will rollout 2 years after (never heard anything from drdo as 1A...the upgraded version of 1 is called 2 according to saraswat himself)
-ARDE is making the trichy assalt rifle :lol:
-In the "border beheading incident" PA's 29 Baloch was involved ( no one could report that,"how does he know"???)

@The A-5

Any source to support?..

Anyway you should atleast have searched about the CJ-10..which itself is different from Babur

Babur cruise missile

Pakistan+Successfully+Tests+Hatf-VII+Babar+Cruise+Missile+multi+tube+Missile+Launch+Vehicle+%2528MLV%2529+from+a+new+caniste+submarine+launched+version+operational+%25283%2529.JPG

Pakistan+Successfully+Tests+Hatf-VII+Babar+Cruise+Missile+from+a+new+caniste+submarine+launched+version.jpg

cj-10
11546168_242785.jpg

search about both the missiles as well

I call BS on that claim, and if I remember correctly steel is still used in Agni V construction.

Typical Chins logic... If a missile is 200+ tons and has to be carried by 3 Big trucks then its a good missile for them.

DF-31 series missiles weight less than 50 tons.

@The A-5

Any source to support?..

Anyway you should atleast have searched about the CJ-10..which itself is different from Babur

Babur cruise missile

search about both the missiles as well

A-5 is a well known village idiot. It's best to ignore him.

Back
Top Bottom