What's new

Agni V canister and mobile launch vehicle TCT 5 tested successfully

Wow, what a day this is and last few days. Mind boggling!

BTW, what's up with the date/month selection? Pardon my skeptical mindset. Is it deliberately planned by govt during election?

BTW, what's up with the date/month selection? Pardon my skeptical mindset. Is it deliberately planned by govt during election?

They have nothing to gain from this .

I do not think there is any political motivation in this .

Mars Orbiter Mission - yeh it was politically motivated - both national and international perspective .

But don't think the flurry of missile tests have anything to do with elections.

On other hand it makes feel good that most of our institutions are able to work outside the shadows of election - carrying on as it it's business as usual ....

pakistan had this tech long time ago.. shupa powah india just testing this?

Woo... Long time ago ???:rofl::rofl:
Kid go learn first...
I think you're a Pakistani but you claimed to be Chinese...

They have nothing to gain from this .

I do not think there is any political motivation in this .

Mars Orbiter Mission - yeh it was politically motivated - both national and international perspective .

But don't think the flurry of missile tests have anything to do with elections.

On other hand it makes feel good that most of our institutions are able to work outside the shadows of election - carrying on as it it's business as usual ....
I partially agree but you know Modi did make a point about defence import. There is a large ex and current armed forces personal and defence enthusiasts. Although these things must have been in work for long (years). Govt for sure want to deny new govt any credit while it tries to get some.

Nah, I don't any actual evidence but I suspect this is to do with certain favourable meteorological factors, perhaps the conditions around April/May are just right to do this kind of testing additionally maybe it is a case the DRDO stacks up certain key tests up to a certain period of the year and goes back to back on tests as all the required tenementary and monitoring assets will be in place instead of having to dispatch these teams year round which maybe seen as a waste of resources? Pure conjecture on my part but I definitely don't see a political angle to this- in all the time I've been a defence enthusiast (a few years now) I've noticed these sorts of tests all come together year after year.

-------------------

@Topic is that a TATRA or Volvo truck anyone?

Nah, I don't any actual evidence but I suspect this is to do with certain favourable meteorological factors, perhaps the conditions around April/May are just right to do this kind of testing additionally maybe it is a case the DRDO stacks up certain key tests up to a certain period of the year and goes back to back on tests as all the required tenementary and monitoring assets will be in place instead of having to dispatch these teams year round which maybe seen as a waste of resources? Pure conjecture on my part but I definitely don't see a political angle to this- in all the time I've been a defence enthusiast (a few years now) I've noticed these sorts of tests all come together year after year.

-------------------

@Topic is that a TATRA or Volvo truck anyone?

Here is slightly enlarged picture ... Vehicle is developed by VRDE

Looks like TATRA TEL to me ...
AGNI-DEMO_zpsf66a0685.jpg

Here is slightly enlarged picture ... Vehicle is developed by VRDE
AGNI-DEMO_zpsf66a0685.jpg
Just wondering what the base vehicle is, they may have fabricated the bodywork but the truck won't be from VRDE mate. I'm thinking maybe a Volvo.

Just wondering what the base vehicle is, they may have fabricated the bodywork but the truck won't be from VRDE mate. I'm thinking maybe a Volvo.

may be ...since picture is taken from newsletter ...the quality is quite poor ..

Wow, that is excellent news. Was the test a success? Remember, Astra is going to be a common A2A missile for all our combat aircrafts, including the naval ones. And it can be used both for WVR as well as BVR. It can replace several types of missiles in service currently. That's a lot of money to be saved in future, by not having to buy Russian or French missiles.

Not really!

Astra is an BVR missile, only aimed on replacing Russian BVR missiles like the R27, or R77 and for LCA in the long run, but that's it. It can't be used in WVR, since it doesn't offer the manuverability (neither by additional fins, nor by TVC), nor could it be fitted to hardpoints, that currently carry R73 missiles, because of the high weight. And no matter what nonsense DRDO is claiming, it won't be used at the upgraded Mirage either, because it is too long for the fuselage missile stations. That's why we already ordered MICA for them, that's why we will order MICA for Rafales, next to a far more capable METEOR (as soon as that is available) and since warefar is changing with NG fighters and internal weapon bays, it won't be even a useful choice for FGFA or AMCA, which will benefit of smaller multi role MICA like missiles far more than with long range single role missiles. For them it's not first sight => first shot, but first sight, get as close as you can get undetected and then shoot.

Not really!

Astra is an BVR missile, only aimed on replacing Russian BVR missiles like the R27, or R77 and for LCA in the long run, but that's it. It can't be used in WVR, since it doesn't offer the manuverability (neither by additional fins, nor by TVC), nor could it be fitted to hardpoints, that currently carry R73 missiles, because of the high weight. And no matter what nonsense DRDO is claiming, it won't be used at the upgraded Mirage either, because it is too long for the fuselage missile stations. That's why we already ordered MICA for them, that's why we will order MICA for Rafales, next to a far more capable METEOR (as soon as that is available) and since warefar is changing with NG fighters and internal weapon bays, it won't be even a useful choice for FGFA or AMCA, which will benefit of smaller multi role MICA like missiles far more than with long range single role missiles. For them it's not first sight => first shot, but first sight, get as close as you can get undetected and then shoot.

We will be operating aircrafts with external weapon pods (ie, non 5th gen aircrafts) for at least 25-30 years more. Whether it's Rafales or MKIs or LCAs or mig-29Ks. And this missile (and its future variants) will be used on all of them, which means billions of dollars worth, just by looking at the number of such aircrafts we have or will have. Even discounting the upgraded mirages.

Also, remember that although MICA and METEOR are excellent missiles, Astra costs only a fraction of what they do. I am guessing that Astra will also be qualified for aircrafts that can carry the expensive French missiles. Besides, unlike aircrafts, it is good (to an extent) to have different missiles for the same purpose qualified on the same aircrafts - the enemy will have to prepare to be attacked by different kinds of missiles, with different kinds of aerodynamic performance. So if an enemy fighter does not know what sort of missile will be fired at him, it gives an upper hand to the shooter.

Back
Top Bottom