What's new

Agni V canister and mobile launch vehicle TCT 5 tested successfully

Congratulations to DRDO for achieving a quite significant milestone.
i remember long time back when I joined pdf, DRDO was referred as DODO, i don't see that word anymore :smokin:. Still long way to go.

Not really!

Astra is an BVR missile, only aimed on replacing Russian BVR missiles like the R27, or R77 and for LCA in the long run, but that's it. It can't be used in WVR, since it doesn't offer the manuverability (neither by additional fins, nor by TVC), nor could it be fitted to hardpoints, that currently carry R73 missiles, because of the high weight. And no matter what nonsense DRDO is claiming, it won't be used at the upgraded Mirage either, because it is too long for the fuselage missile stations. That's why we already ordered MICA for them, that's why we will order MICA for Rafales, next to a far more capable METEOR (as soon as that is available) and since warefar is changing with NG fighters and internal weapon bays, it won't be even a useful choice for FGFA or AMCA, which will benefit of smaller multi role MICA like missiles far more than with long range single role missiles. For them it's not first sight => first shot, but first sight, get as close as you can get undetected and then shoot.

Though I always considered your post to be factually correct when it comes to air warfare, I find this behavior of yours towards indigenous development & DRDO in particular very amusing.

I agree specification of Astra being 3.6m to 3.8m in length, is a big question one should ask oneself before stating that it could also be used as WVR missile, but one need to understand that all the critical technology required for developing an interceptor missile has already been achieved because of this project. Hence, it will not be that difficult for DRDO to come up with lower range, a little more maneuverable WVR missile based on technological aspect of Astra. Weight will not be an issue once the solid fulled rocket motor sized gets smaller (which itself will make the missile more maneuverable).

In my opinion it is a true state of art missile which is leading in South Asian Region.

We will be operating aircrafts with external weapon pods (ie, non 5th gen aircrafts) for at least 25-30 years more. Whether it's Rafales or MKIs or LCAs or mig-29Ks. And this missile (and its future variants) will be used on all of them, which means billions of dollars worth, just by looking at the number of such aircrafts we have or will have. Even discounting the upgraded mirages.

As said, it won't be used on Rafales, since it's far less capable than METEOR and can't be attached to most of the hardpoints that could hold MICA (wingtip, possibly external wing and for sure not the 2 x centerline stations). That's why it will remain only as a BVR replacement for MKIs, Mig 29Ks and LCA. That indeed will still be a good number of missiles, but far less then you expected. And before we start the usual praises and celebrations, maybe we want DRDO to actually deliver something or?
All they did is a missile launch from the MKI, but that's it. We don't know if it was guided if it offers comparable range and performance as the R77s yet, because that is the minimum requirement that it has to prove, before we actually have something to celebrate. Fielding an inferior missile on the MKI, Migs or LCAs, only because it's indigenous, would be just silly and hamper Indias defence by far!
This launch is a small step in the right direction, but at this point it's nothing more and we shouldn't make more out of it, than it really is!

I agree specification of Astra being 3.6m to 3.8m in length, is a big question one should ask oneself before stating that it could also be used as WVR missile, but one need to understand that all the critical technology required for developing an interceptor missile has already been achieved because of this project.

Then you should compare the design differences of BVR missiles and WVR missiles. There is not "just" a littile bit more maneuverability needed, but a complete different design or set of techs, not to mention that most WVR missiles have IR seekers to start with.
I don't deny that they can develop a WVR missile in further steps, but the fact is (all useless cheering apart), that Astra is not a WVR missile and was never intended to be one, so it might have the techs and capabilities to be a BVR interceptor missile (to use your words), but not to be a WVR interceptor missile!

P.S. I am far away from being anti indigenous developments, but I am also far away from being blindly pro indigenous developments! That is what many people can't distinguish and why I don't care about DRDO's promises or how often they praise themself. The important point is, what performance they can deliver to the forces and when? And as long as they are only testing things, they haven't achieved anything, just like they haven't if the missile can't even provide the performance of the missiles it should replace!
So let them deliver something comparable and I will surely joint the party, till then I sit back and watch. :pop:

Last edited:

That's OK, that page has errors, such as showing the CAESAR self propelled artillery system in place of the TATA mounted system. India Mart isn't exactly the best place to check these things.Still, a few inquiries will do the trick for validating the origin of the TEL.

That's OK, that page has errors, such as showing the CAESAR self propelled artillery system in place of the TATA mounted system. India Mart isn't exactly the best place to check these things.Still, a few inquiries will do the trick for validating the origin of the TEL.
hey some day back u r talking about TBC . Can u give me some good literature on it..

hey some day back u r talking about TBC . Can u give me some good literature on it..

You want to read about ceramics and material sciences? :what:o_Oo_O

Try to get your hands on "Progress in Thermal Barrier Coatings" by The American Ceramic Society (ACerS), pretty much the go to published source, other than that on the net you will have to stick to excerpts from research papers or wiki pages. Any published and accredited material will have to be bought though.

Or you can just refer to my previous posts on TBCs in the OLD Kaveri engine thread. :P

If you're asking where we stand on it, the TBC used in modern engines, YSZ, has been formulated in our DPSU labs (DRDO/HAL releases detail the whole thing) but the status of actual industrial level application is unknown to me.

Here is a DRDO publication on the indigenous progress, its a rather dated publication though, http://publications.drdo.gov.in/ojs/index.php/dsj/article/viewFile/3848/2210.

You want to read about ceramics and material sciences? :what:o_Oo_O

Try to get your hands on "Progress in Thermal Barrier Coatings" by The American Ceramic Society (ACerS), pretty much the go to published source, other than that on the net you will have to stick to excerpts from research papers or wiki pages. Any published and accredited material will have to be bought though.

Or you can just refer to my previous posts on TBCs in the OLD Kaveri engine thread. :P

If you're asking where we stand on it, the TBC used in modern engines, YSZ, has been formulated in our DPSU labs (DRDO/HAL releases detail the whole thing) but the status of actual industrial level application is unknown to me.

Here is a DRDO publication on the indigenous progress, its a rather dated publication though, http://publications.drdo.gov.in/ojs/index.php/dsj/article/viewFile/3848/2210.
thanks for infos

how effect it is ..if u know?

YSZ is YSZ, one you know how to use it properly it will perform like it does anywhere else.
so problem is abt development of material for TBC but interfacial strength between them?

Back
Top Bottom