What's new

After Rafale jet, India eyes French submarine

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: After clinching Rs 99,000-crore deal to equip the Indian Air Force with Dassault Aviation’s Rafale fighters, the government is now eying to acquire next generation submarines manufactured by France.

According to a report by the Hindustan Times, the government is willing to spend more than $10 billion ( Rs 55,000 crore) to strengthen Indian Navy’s undersea combat capabilities.

Confirming the development Navy chief Admiral DK Joshi said the Defence Ministry’s acquisition council had given the go-ahead for buying six submarines under a project codenamed P-75I.

Joshi also stated that a global tender in this regard would be floated very soon.

Joshi said the new subs – bigger than the Scorpene – would be equipped with air-independent propulsion systems to recharge their batteries without having to surface for more than three weeks. “The submarines would also be equipped with land attack missile capability,” Defence Minister AK Antony informed the Lok Sabha on Tuesday.

Currently, six Scorpene-class submarines are being built at the Mazagon Dock Ltd with technology from DCNS under a $4.3-billion ( Rs. 23,562 crore) project called P-75

The Indian Navy’s existing submarine fleet is rather humble, consisting of just 10 Russian Kilo-class, four German HDWs and an Akula-2 nuclear-powered attack submarine leased from Russia at $1 billion ( Rs. 5,500 crore).

After the go ahead, major shipbuilders including DCNS of France, HDW of Germany, Rosoboronexport of Russia and Navantia of Spain are expected to bid for the mega deal to build a second line of submarines for India.

Clearly, government’s move to acquire next generation submarines is aimed at countering the threat emerging from China, which has more than 50 conventional submarines in its fleet, but nearly two-thirds of those are outdated.

This is most probably the S-80 "Super Scorpene" originally produced by NAVANTIA with
DCNS as the prime subcontractor. India may also have the Barracuda-class SSN in sights.

Barracuda+SSN+submarine03.jpg

Barracuda-type nuclear-powered attack submarine (SSN)

NAVANTIA's+S-80+Super+Scorpene+SSK-1.jpg
NAVANTIA's+S-80+Super+Scorpene+SSK-2.jpg

S-80 ‘Super Scorpene’

605b7a89-8c27-4b8f-aa6d-d9c476455440.Full.jpg

MdCN (missile de croisière naval), from Barracuda.The MdCN, made by MBDA and derived from the airborne Scalp-EG cruise missile, has a range of several hundred kilometres and is designed for missions such as the destruction of high value strategic infrastructure deep in enemy territory.

HDW-Submarine10a%255B1%255D.GIF

HDW Type 216 Submarines

These submarines are intended for many missions - to act as a strategic strike platform , as an anti-submarine platform, as an anti-ship platform, plus in surveillance and special operations deployments. These boats must also include a towed sonar array.

Design
Double hull design.
Type 216 is equipped with an air independent propulsion system, giving it the same kind of ability as a nuclear submarine: Staying underwater for weeks to reach crisis area, such as the Strait of Malacca. Like an SSN It would have the ability to launch cruise missiles, to deploy special forces with their underwater delivery vehicle and even unmanned underwater vehicles. The class is designed to be extremely quiet due to its propulsion system and through the use of sound absorbing coating on the hull.

Missions
» Anti-surface and anti-submarine warfare
» ISTAR (Intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition and reconnaissance)
» Land attack capability
» Special Forces operations
» Deployment of unmanned vehicles
» Mine operations and mine reconnaissance

Features
» High crew comfort standard due to enlarged accommodation, recreation area and utility rooms
» Sewage and waste treatment to fufil future environmental regulations
» Stealth characteristics:
__- AIP system for submerged condition lasting for weeks (fuel cell and methanol reformer)
__- Degaussing system
__- Highest acoustic requirements for silent operations
__- Target strength optimised shaping and coating
» Combat information centre with seven multifunctional control consoles
» Sail with nine hoistable masts
» Sensor layout for best performance (acoustic, optic, electronic support measures, communication & nav.)
» Future-oriented flexible payload systems:
__- Up to three vertical multi-purpose locks with various modules (e.g. seven missile modules)
__- Various modules for mission-based equipment inside casing
__- Multi-purpose room for intra-mission flexibility and inter-mission modularity
__- Modular multi-purpose mast

Weapons

6x 533 mm torpedo tubes (to deploy torpedoes, anti-ship missiles or mines)
Flexible storage area for 18 reserve weapons
Weapon module for vertical multi-purpose lock (2.5 m diameter to deploy cruise missiles or UUV)
Swimmer Delivery Vehicle (SDV) to deploy special forces
Sensors, Electronics and Decoys
N/A

Propulsion

Diesel / Electric. Air independent propulsion system.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian-defence/150314-type-216-silver-lining-indias-much-delayed-p-75i-project-2.html

i really wish the Germans r able to timely complete U-216 for Project 75I else we'll go for bigger Scorpene like Brazil i guess...:undecided:

@SpArK do have any news about U-216 being a candidate for P-75I?:what:

Last edited by a moderator:
Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: After clinching Rs 99,000-crore deal to equip the Indian Air Force with Dassault Aviation’s Rafale fighters, the government is now eying to acquire next generation submarines manufactured by France.

According to a report by the Hindustan Times, the government is willing to spend more than $10 billion ( Rs 55,000 crore) to strengthen Indian Navy’s undersea combat capabilities.

Confirming the development Navy chief Admiral DK Joshi said the Defence Ministry’s acquisition council had given the go-ahead for buying six submarines under a project codenamed P-75I.

Joshi also stated that a global tender in this regard would be floated very soon.

Joshi said the new subs – bigger than the Scorpene – would be equipped with air-independent propulsion systems to recharge their batteries without having to surface for more than three weeks. “The submarines would also be equipped with land attack missile capability,” Defence Minister AK Antony informed the Lok Sabha on Tuesday.

Currently, six Scorpene-class submarines are being built at the Mazagon Dock Ltd with technology from DCNS under a $4.3-billion ( Rs. 23,562 crore) project called P-75

The Indian Navy’s existing submarine fleet is rather humble, consisting of just 10 Russian Kilo-class, four German HDWs and an Akula-2 nuclear-powered attack submarine leased from Russia at $1 billion ( Rs. 5,500 crore).

After the go ahead, major shipbuilders including DCNS of France, HDW of Germany, Rosoboronexport of Russia and Navantia of Spain are expected to bid for the mega deal to build a second line of submarines for India.

Clearly, government’s move to acquire next generation submarines is aimed at countering the threat emerging from China, which has more than 50 conventional submarines in its fleet, but nearly two-thirds of those are outdated.

Lets Rock the "High Seas"

i really wish the Germans r able to timely complete U-216 for Project 75I else we'll go for bigger Scorpene like Brazil i guess...:undecided:

@SpArK do have any news about U-216 being a candidate for P-75I?:what:

The last link is the news regarding it. in the previous post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy, buy, buy..... Indian buys everything for its defense, rifle, tank, jet, .... , very rich country.

does not India builds submarines, if India can build Nuclear submarine why she wants to buy more submarines from another country:undecided:

Can't we fit AIP to kilos?

Hull needs to be cut down and extended to make space for AIP. With that cost and time of redesigning and modification, one can get a new sub. :D

does not India builds submarines, if India can build Nuclear submarine why she wants to buy more submarines from another country:undecided:

For the first few months of sea trial before putting in nuclear reactor (primary power), SSBN Arihant was a diesel electric sub(auxiliary power ). So yes, we can build one, but we need better AIP technology from the west.

Hull needs to be cut down and extended to make space for AIP. With that cost and time of redesigning and modification, one can get a new sub. :D

For the first few months of sea trial before putting in nuclear reactor (primary power), SSBN Arihant was a diesel electric sub(auxiliary power ). So yes, we can build one, but we need better AIP technology from the west.
what are you suggesting is Arihant is not as efficient as it should be :what:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom