What's new

Scorpene subs to join fleet without torpedoes : Navy regrets MoD Delays

we shouldn't go for inferior indegenious products ...

especially when we are talking about something as precious as submarines ...

I wouldn't dare to subject billion dollar submarine to risk with equally or more precious lives of our men for few million dollar torpedoes ...NO WAY !

We need to bring our indigenous products to global standards ...

and thats what will make our indigenisation a tough challenge.if you never going to rely on a homemade product,you'll never going to make a best product.if you don't rely on Tejas,you'll never going to make a 5th gen jet,and even if you could,it'd be always inferior of the best product.if you don't rely on Nag and go for Javelin,you'll never going to make a better ATGM.

what makes you say that less range means it has less performance??on the contratry,IN still use torpedos designed in 1960s and 1970s which is still pretty much effective till this day.plus,Black Shark was bought by only handful of countries,and not the best one.its commendable that DRDO did a neat job developing a heavyweight torpedo on which our force can rely on.

@Indo-guy

If I remember correctly,Both Black Shark and German Seahake torpedo competed for supplying "Wake Homing Heavy Weight Torpedo" for IN.both of these are comparable with M-48 and Spearfish torpedo,which are best in this class,used by USN and RN.so,if IN choose Varunastra over Seahake,that means its damn fine product.

Old submarines need upgrade, new subs unarmed, navy regrets MoD delays

Ajai Shukla

When it's a business-standard article, you should always double check who the author is!

Any Antony fans? Comments?

Has nothing to do with Antony, but with laws in India. The Black Shark Torpedos are sold by a subsidiary of Fincantieri, which are in trouble in the Indian defence market because of the VVIP helicopter deal, therefor according to the laws, any deal where Fincantieri might be involved must be checked, be it the LUH competition, or the Torpedo deal.
So Mr Shukla is once again is making things up ("The delay in signing the torpedo contract followed accusations that WASS had won unfairly"), based on unnamed sources, to sell his sensational news and too many people still fall for it!

we shouldn't go for inferior indegenious products ...

At least not for the sole point that they are indigenous, that true. But the competition was between the Italian and a German Torpedo, so the first alternative would be the other contender, IF this deal doesn't happen.

and thats what will make our indigenisation a tough challenge.if you never going to rely on a homemade product,you'll never going to make a best product.if you don't rely on Tejas,you'll never going to make a 5th gen jet,and even if you could,it'd be always inferior of the best product.if you don't rely on Nag and go for Javelin,you'll never going to make a better ATGM.

what makes you say that less range means it has less performance??on the contratry,IN still use torpedos designed in 1960s and 1970s which is still pretty much effective till this day.plus,Black Shark was bought by only handful of countries,and not the best one.its commendable that DRDO did a neat job developing a heavyweight torpedo on which our force can rely on.

Frankly speaking I have no clue which one is superior or inferior. It was you who said that Varunastra may be inferior .

I simply stated obvious that we shouldn't go far inferior products simply because they are indigenous.

we can't really risk our already depleted submarine arm with unproven , inferior torpedoes ....

If we have proven , time tested indigenous weapons ...sure we must use it .

I am no way against indigenous products ...

I am against inferior products ..wherever they may come from ...

At least not for the sole point that they are indigenous, that true. But the competition was between the Italian and a German Torpedo, so the first alternative would be the other contender, IF this deal doesn't happen.

I think we should've chosen either the Spearfish or M-48,both of which is superior than Black Shark.but then,Black Shark was closely associated with Scorpene.

I want your opinion,Varunastra,having 30 km range at 38 Knot,having lighter weight of all the comparable torpedos,Circular Trajectory,Top and Bottom attack approach-its quite impressive,isn't it.though DRDO never clearly declared whether its a Wake Homing Torpedo or not.what is your take on it???

I think we should've chosen either the Spearfish or M-48,both of which is superior than Black Shark.but then,Black Shark was closely associated with Scorpene.

I want your opinion,Varunastra,having 30 km range at 38 Knot,having lighter weight of all the comparable torpedos,Circular Trajectory,Top and Bottom attack approach-its quite impressive,isn't it.though DRDO never clearly declared whether its a Wake Homing Torpedo or not.what is your take on it???

Don't know much about it, just read up a bit about it because of this case, however maturity should play a role too.

It is these kind of things that have been depressing me concerning indian defense,the criminal neglect bordering on outright treason and no one gives a ****.

The Name SCORPENE itself is a weapon. We don't need Torpedoes.

Like they say - "Naam hi kafi hai!!"
Amazing that whole new three kilo class sub were destroyed due to accidents. One on purpose due to share incompetence.!!!!

This is serious oversight! But hopefully within 24 months they'll sort it out.

Can't Varunashtra be used in Scorpenes with necessary modifications?

img2457w.jpg

Scorpene subs to join fleet without torpedoes | Business Standard

Of 14 submarines in the fleet, three Russian Kilo-class vessels are unavailable: INS Sindhurakshak was destroyed in a cataclysmic explosion in Mumbai last August; INS Sindhuratna will take a year to repair after a fire in February. A third, INS Sindhukirti, was scuttled by Hindustan Shipyard Ltd, Visakhapatnam (HSL), which dismantled the submarine for refit in 2006 but cannot put it back together again.

Why was the contract given to HSL ?

The problem with the last ten years is there was a big defense budget readily available, there were no restrictive sanctions, we had multitude of options for every platform, plus there was a major drive for modernization that was taking place and the economy was doing good. This was the right time when things should have moved and this was the time that the congress and Anthony laid waste.

Sure we had a great budget available with the same MIDDLEMEN INVOLVED> THE SAME CORRUPT POLITICANS AND MILITARY OFFICIALS TRYING TO GET A CUT>THE SAME PROCEDURAL INEFFICIENCIES THAT WILL BOTTLENECK ANY WEAPONS TRANSFERS>

You will still have the same issues just with newer weapons that ou paid for dearly. Correct the system, restore balance and success will come. The problem is we keep blaming the likes of MMS and AK when they are not at fault as much as the real idiots SONIA AND HER DUMBASS SON RAHUL. Behind the scenes, there is of pressure by them...

Amazing that whole new three kilo class sub were destroyed due to accidents. One on purpose due to share incompetence.!!!!

The only incompetent thing here is your knowledge and comprehension skills.

One Kilo class got destroyed, not 3 and the reason for the explosion is still under investigation.

The only incompetent thing here is your knowledge and comprehension skills.

One Kilo class got destroyed, not 3 and the reason for the explosion is still under investigation.

i said three got destroyed due to accidents not incompetence.
you should improve your language skills before calling someone else incompetent. i know its hard to swallow but just suck it up.

now to in detail. it would be 2 , as one might be brought back in service. while 2 are written off. out of the three one is confirmed incompetence, the rest 2 we will know after investigation

Amazing that whole new three kilo class sub were destroyed due to accidents. One on purpose due to share incompetence

Back
Top Bottom