What's new

A picture of Indian Secularism - Happy Janmashtami

There are clearly 2 ways to look at this.

One way is the way Indians are looking at it, the way that interprets this as secularism and pluralism and an egalitarian society, that a muslim out of respect for the hindus muslims dress as hindus and this is an example of the love between the two.

But there is another argument, the Islamic argument. There are arguments that Islamically it is not allowed to dress up overtly as non muslim Gods and Goddesses and it is disallowed promoting their culture and lifestyle. Many muslims will view this negatively.

Which way a normal person looks at this picture is based on the persons upbringing, religion and thinking. Indians need to focus on not swallowing other religions (ie same laws for Sikhs, Jains and Budhism and treatment of them as a branch of Hinduism) so that muslims dress up as hindus but to try and let Islam and muslims thrive equally with their own culture and traditions. This shows a weak policy, insecurity and pettiness and some muslims will definitely not agree with this kind of thing. Muslims shouldn't have to give up their culture. This may represent religious harmony for many but the image also portrays the gradual elimination of Islamic customs and thought process in Indian occupied regions.

Muslims dont have to do it,they do it because they want to,not because they need to.Most muslims dont do this but they dont bother eating prasad which we give them after offering it to god.There are some wahhabis but strict wahhabism in india will alienate the muslim completely and he will have to move to saudi to earn a living.

Culture is something often reliant on religion. Muslim men have a culture to keep beards. Muslim women have a culture of covering up in burka's or scarves or abayas. Denying us our culture, our unique identity in favor of this we are all one is a mistake. As a Lucknowi I do not understand the insecurity of hindu Indians who want to label all in some or another way Hindu. It is a mistake and a misguided and insecure policy. It is best to understand that culture may be decided partly by geographic location and demography it is also decided by their dominant religion.
thats what everyone is saying,religion plays a part but only a part and that can sometimes be miniscule also.

Muslims dont have to do it,they do it because they want to,not because they need to.Most muslims dont do this but they dont bother eating prasad which we give them after offering it to god.There are some wahhabis but strict wahhabism in india will alienate the muslim completely and he will have to move to saudi to earn a living.

I don't think here it is so clear cut. I am against the Wahabis but certain concepts are practiced universally by muslims. For example though Islamic debate and new instructions due to changing times may challenge this the muslims are not even supposed to portray their prophet, how can they portray a Hindu god. That is the argument, Islamically put.

Personally I see the picture positively. There is hope for us but again that woman by dressing her child as a Hindu God is taking a step back from their religion. It shouldn't have to be this way. Sharing sweets, helping hindus in other ways can be good too.

thats what everyone is saying,religion plays a part but only a part and that can sometimes be miniscule also.
I think the main impingement on our culture is of religion. Definately local traditions do get mixed in however. Like Mehndi... even genital mutilation is practiced by some muslims in africa. It is horrible but it is culture. We must always find new ways though to build a cleaner, safer society which will best function. For this debate is very necessary. I find it a duty to debate modern secularism so that a model can be found that is if not perfect but neutral in its approach. My parents might not have had to leave if such a thriving model existed and much bad blood between us could be avoided. I have failed however to adopt a positive outlook of India as a Lucknowi though.

I don't think here it is so clear cut. I am against the Wahabis but certain concepts are practiced universally by muslims. For example though Islamic debate and new instructions due to changing times may challenge this the muslims are not even supposed to portray their prophet, how can they portray a Hindu god. That is the argument, Islamically put.

Personally I see the picture positively. There is hope for us but again that woman by dressing her child as a Hindu God is taking a step back from their religion. It shouldn't have to be this way. Sharing sweets, helping hindus in other ways can be good too.

I think the main impingement on our culture is of religion. Definately local traditions do get mixed in however. Like Mehndi... even genital mutilation is practiced by some muslims in africa. It is horrible but it is culture. We must always find new ways though to build a cleaner, safer society which will best function. For this debate is very necessary. I find it a duty to debate modern secularism so that a model can be found that is if not perfect but neutral in its approach. My parents might not have had to leave if such a thriving model existed and much bad blood between us could be avoided. I have failed however to adopt a positive outlook of India as a Lucknowi though.

If you say your family is from Lucknow,then the trouble is expected.You do remember that pak punjab got absolutely vacated off hindus and sikhs and a backlash is normal in bharat,i do empathize with you but UP was the main home of the muslim league and people wont shut up and do nothing.

Punjabi people lost all their wealth/homes/families and ended up in Delhi as paupers.

The child just likes to be dressed as krishna,he connects with the playful character and i dont see any harm in it.If you think this will prevent the child from growing up as good muslim,then the imaan seems very kamzor.

She looks like an angel, kudos to the father.
373028-sarfaraz.jpg

A Muslim Radha on Krishna Janmasthami: Today's India needs more such pictures | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

Basically RSS secularism is where Abrahamic faiths leaves their identity and embraces the Hindu(north Indian/Aryan) identity and culture so that in another 5 decades they can create a singular country like what their extremists taught - Hindi-Hindu-Hindustan. Great! Sanghi fartards will be seen often praising Parsis. Guess why? They are not perceived as a threat. Sangh sees other religions including Buddhism as a threat. May be, in North Indian society even Muslims are under the Hindu culture and identity, but remember before these Aryans came here, we have had our own identity which still cherishes.

Buddhism was the main religion in many parts of India. Cow meat eating Aryans from outside came here as foreigners(invaders). Those tribals and others were not Hindus as you fanatics claim. Their Gods(idols) were all rooted to either Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva's avatars to enforce Hinduism.

Last edited:
Basically RSS secularism is where Abrahamic faiths leaves their identity and embraces the Hindu(north Indian/Aryan) identity and culture so that in another 5 decades they can create a singular country like what their extremists taught - Hindi-Hindu-Hindustan. Great! Sanghi fartards will be seen often praising Parsis. Guess why? They are not perceived as a threat. Sangh sees other religions including Buddhism as a threat.

Yes unlike Abrahamic faiths Hinduism is dependent upon soul harvesting. :(

Basically RSS secularism is where Abrahamic faiths leaves their identity and embraces the Hindu(north Indian/Aryan) identity and culture so that in another 5 decades they can create a singular country like what their extremists taught - Hindi-Hindu-Hindustan. Great! Sanghi fartards will be seen often praising Parsis. Guess why? They are not perceived as a threat. Sangh sees other religions including Buddhism as a threat. May be, in North Indian society even Muslims are under the Hindu culture and identity, but remember before these Aryans came here, we have had our own identity which still cherishes.

Buddhism was the main religion in many parts of India. Cow meat eating Aryans from outside came here as foreigners(invaders). Those tribals and others were not Hindus as you fanatics claim. Their Gods(idols) were all rooted to either Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva's avatars to enforce Hinduism.

Lord Shiva/Goddess Shakti are the most popular Gods in deep South India too and it it as Hindu as anywhere else.

There was no aryan invasion theory and who is we here?

Buddhism got destroyed by Muslims,Tamils are hardcore shaivites and hardly buddhists.

where is the bindi?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom