What's new

215th anniversary of General Tipu Sultan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not agree. He failed both militarily and also in making strategies.
Incorrect, it was only after the British teamed up with other players could they properly checkmate Tipu. His personal bravery even I won't question.

Till a saffron state is established.:D
Request rejected :D
A saffron state will only ensure all biriyani in India has saffron :whistle:

Incorrect, it was only after the British teamed up with other players could they properly checkmate Tipu. His personal bravery even I won't question.

Request rejected :D
A saffron state will only ensure all biriyani in India has saffron :whistle:
1)No doubt he was personally brave. BTW, all fools are brave.:partay:

2) I am a Brahmin and I do not take meat. So, it does not matter to me.:azn:

A hero is a person we look up to.

Tipu was brave, decisive, ferocious and had a good grasp of strategy.

A hero he was not.
I guess you are right. He was indeed rigid on religion and wont appeal to hindu masses.
I have read some books about him, haider ali was far stronger ruler than his son. He was a self-made man and won wars unlike tipu.
In a book about him an incident is mentioned "that one day tipu was taking nap, he awakened and found female servant massaging his legs. He became furious and said who sent you?. The girl replied your mother. Tipu sentenced that girl to 100 lashes. The author was trying to say that tipu was so pious and God fearing man. But i felt anger at his bigotry. First of all the servant was massaging his tired legs , not penis. Secondly he did injustice by punishing the poor girl, it was his mother who told her to do so. He should have also punished his mother.

How much can you misconstrue my quote???

1) I said hindu extremists -which should mean only those who sullied Tipu Sultan and not all the hindus.Btw being a hindu myself I would not do that.
2)How can you even compare Tipu sultan's heroism with Dyer's????
Did Dyer help in reconstruction of a temple??? - NO
Did Dyer come up with an invention or even commission something similar to the mysore rocket???- NO
Did Dyer die fighting like a brave soldier??- NO
then where's the comparison???

And let me give you another example
We call lord rama our god and hero while Ravan is an anti-hero when the fact is that
1)Ram violated a woman,surpanakha ("naak katna in hindi would mean violating isn't it??)
2) Ram left his pregnant wife alone in a jungle so that wild animals could feast on her.

And Ravan's effigies are burnt because
1) He tried to restore his sister's honor.
2) For not violating Sita when he could 've done that easily.

Ironical isn't it??

I know that he killed but rape I am not sure.
Good reply.

But yes Dyer did a number of good things in his life as well. Don't get too deep in equating analogies here. That was a rhetorical statement of mine. :D

Do you know even Hitler financed this

As far as Ram and Ravan are concerned, I don't know the exact relevance here, but I pretty much like Ravan. There is no hatred for me for Ravan. Both Ram and Ravan succumbed to their respective karma. So did Tipu. So what if he did not believe in it.

One mistake - Ram did not violate her, Laxman cut the nose of Surpanakha, which was despicable as well. And look how it turned out for Ram - his wife estranged. The poor king(later) did not even have the fortune to live with his own children(Lav and Kush)

Thing is that if you admire Tipu as a hero and not just as a warrior, you can extend that to Hitler. Or to Aurangzeb. Or Mussolini, even Stalin.

1)No doubt he was personally brave. BTW, all fools are brave.:partay:

2) I am a Brahmin and I do not take meat. So, it does not matter to me.:azn:
Does not matter. Once the saffron state is established we will make sure you have water with saffron :D

I guess you are right. He was indeed rigid on religion and wont appeal to hindu masses.
I have read some books about him, haider ali was far stronger ruler than his son. He was a self-made man and won wars unlike tipu.
In a book about him an incident is mentioned "that one day tipu was taking nap, he awakened and found female servant massaging his legs. He became furious and said who sent you?. The girl replied your mother. Tipu sentenced that girl to 100 lashes. The author was trying to say that tipu was so pious and God fearing man. But i felt anger at his bigotry. First of all the servant was massaging his tired legs , not penis. Secondly he did injustice by punishing the poor girl, it was his mother who told her to do so. He should have also punished his mother.
I have no problem with Hyder. He was an able ruler and his rule was not full of massacres and forced conversions. This was surprising even though Hyder Ali was illiterate and completely uneducated. He was also fearless and is generally recollected in favorable terms.

British was so scared of tipu sultan that when he died they never went close to his dead body for three days.

Some of those rockets are kept in the British meuseum. Its our legacy, which Pakistan and India must bring back.
Along with Koh e Noor and other stolen property.

@Bang Galore Sir @levina Our fantasizing of Tipu Sultan can be traced to our modern Indian Nationalism which includes struggle of Indian people against Brits but such thing hardly exist during those days all it was to save their respective kingdoms from British expansion and getting mileage against other kingdom, Haider Ali himself stole the throne from the Wadiyars. Some of the nationalistic feeling evolved during 1857 Revolt when many of them kingdoms agreed on Bahadur Shah Zafar as The Emperor of India, but still it was the same story until it became a massive nationalistic movement under Indian National Congress. Malabar and Dakshina Kannada are still the Indian territory and I only see the compulsion of looking for a hero in everyone who fought against British based on our modern nationalistic perception of Indian people's struggle against British rule.

Tipu Sultan,in my opinion has been made a patsy by the twitterati.
Do you realise that Tipu is being crucified for something he must really not be guilty of.
We know most of history through the britishers.And it was a british propaganda to show Tipu as a religious fanatic.It was largely in the interest of britishers to show Tipu in a bad light.
Isnt BHAGAT SINGH still a terrorist according to some??

As far as Ram and Ravan are concerned, I don't know the exact relevance here, but I pretty much like Ravan. There is no hatred for me for Ravan. Both Ram and Ravan succumbed to their respective karma. So did Tipu. So what if he did not believe in it.

One mistake - Ram did not violate her, Laxman cut the nose of Surpanakha, which was despicable as well. And look how it turned out for Ram - his wife estranged. The poor king(later) did not even have the fortune to live with his own children(Lav and Kush)
How difficult was that to understand Sarthak??
The skewed view of history and mythology teaches us to glorify a man who might not have been so godly afterall.
Its just a matter of perception.
SarthakGanguly said:
Thing is that if you admire Tipu as a hero and not just as a warrior, you can extend that to Hitler. Or to Aurangzeb. Or Mussolini, even Stalin.
To be honest I do admire Aurangzeb.Did you know Aurangzeb had dictated that his final resting place should be of simple earth, open to the sky. He had also instructed in his will that the expenses for his funeral should be met by selling the cloth caps made by him.And he was so down to earth.Yes there're some qualities in Hitler too that I admire.

Tipu Sultan,in my opinion has been made a patsy by the twitterati.
Do you realise that Tipu is being crucified for something he must really not be guilty of.
We know most of history through the britishers.And it was a british propaganda to show Tipu as a religious fanatic.It was largely in the interest of britishers to show Tipu in a bad light.
Isnt BHAGAT SINGH still a terrorist???

How difficult was that to understand Sarthak??
The skewed view of history and mythology teaches us to glorify a man who might not have been so godly afterall.
Its just a matter of perception.
Them evil Brits. :D

No. My source of study of Tipu Sultan has been he himself. His own letters, his own court chronicles are good enough.

He was such a fanatic that he even changed the court language to Farsi! Just like what kalu miah Brigade wants to do. :omghaha:

They are all there - archived. Some of them I list herein.
Select letters of Tippoo Sultan to various public functionaries .. : Tipu Sultan, Fath Ali, Nawab of Mysore, 1753-1799 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
History of Tipu Sultan - Mohibbul Hasan - Google Books
Hasan, Mohibbul (2005). History of Tipu Sultan. Aakar Books. p. 6. ISBN 81-87879-57-2. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
The Coorgs and their origins, Ponnamma Cariappa, The University of Michigan, 1930, p. 48, 419
Hasan 1971, History of Tipu Sultan

Historian Hayavadana C. Rao wrote about Tippu in his encyclopaedic work on the History of Mysore. He asserted that Tippu's "religious fanaticism and the excesses committed in the name of religion, both in Mysore and in the provinces, stand condemned for all time. His bigotry, indeed, was so great that it precluded all ideas of toleration". He further asserts that the acts of Tippu that were constructive towards Hindus were largely political and ostentatious rather than an indication of genuine tolerance. This aptly sums up Tipu's attitude towards Hindus – it was political and not one of religious tolerance
Rao, Hayavadana C.. History of Mysore 1399–1799: Incorporating the latest Epigraphical, Literary and Historical Researches Vol. 3 pgs 1047–53. Bangalore Government Press

Tipu was a mixed bag.
Anyone trying to show him as absolute good or absolute bad is a liar and a cheat.

He was a good general, a good administrator, but a religious bigot with an issue with Hindus and Christians.

Last edited:
@SarthakGanguly Neo-dalit sounds very secular. :sarcastic:

@Truth Finder Do you know Muslims were more educated than Hindus in UP and by 1937 Muslim aristocratic class of UP started to fear Hindus of UP trying to assert their influence, it was only in Bengal where Muslims were extremely poor and marginalized. Do you know 95% jobs in Hyderabad were occupied by Muslims and rest 5% distributed among British and Hindus.

New
@SarthakGanguly Neo-dalit sounds very secular.
@Truth Finder Do you know Muslims were more educated than Hindus in UP and by 1937 Muslim aristocratic class of UP started to fear Hindus of UP trying to assert their influence, it was only in Bengal where Muslims were extremely poor and marginalized. Do you 95% jobs in Hyderabad were occupied by Muslims and rest 5% distributed among British and Hindus.
In one or two cities may be. But, the overwhelming majority of the Muslims of India was in the worst condition. it was indeed one of the reasons for partition.

BTW, in may state, Bengal- almost all east bengalis or now Bangladeshis were wage labors. That is why they still have anger against the West Bengali Hindus. :D

Lol is this an attempt to provoke my anger or what?
I troll and you burn.:lol:

Them evil Brits. :D

No. My source of study of Tipu Sultan has been he himself. His own letters, his own court chronicles are good enough.

He was such a fanatic that he even changed the court language to Farsi! Just like what kalu miah Brigade wants to do. :omghaha:

They are all there - archived. Some of them I list herein.
Select letters of Tippoo Sultan to various public functionaries .. : Tipu Sultan, Fath Ali, Nawab of Mysore, 1753-1799 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
History of Tipu Sultan - Mohibbul Hasan - Google Books
Hasan, Mohibbul (2005). History of Tipu Sultan. Aakar Books. p. 6. ISBN 81-87879-57-2. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
The Coorgs and their origins, Ponnamma Cariappa, The University of Michigan, 1930, p. 48, 419
Hasan 1971, History of Tipu Sultan

Historian Hayavadana C. Rao wrote about Tippu in his encyclopaedic work on the History of Mysore. He asserted that Tippu's "religious fanaticism and the excesses committed in the name of religion, both in Mysore and in the provinces, stand condemned for all time. His bigotry, indeed, was so great that it precluded all ideas of toleration". He further asserts that the acts of Tippu that were constructive towards Hindus were largely political and ostentatious rather than an indication of genuine tolerance. This aptly sums up Tipu's attitude towards Hindus – it was political and not one of religious tolerance
Rao, Hayavadana C.. History of Mysore 1399–1799: Incorporating the latest Epigraphical, Literary and Historical Researches Vol. 3 pgs 1047–53. Bangalore Government Press
Sarthak when did I deny that he was not religiously intolerant???
But then I dont understand why we should not respect him for something he deserves???
And you've been constantly misconstruing my posts on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom