What's new

215th anniversary of General Tipu Sultan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You call Hindus extremists because they tweeted against Tipu on the Internet! :what:
And you call Tipu Sultan a hero even after accepting his despicable acts. We should erect statues of Churchill, Dyer, Clive etc as well. Maybe Hitler even - he was also an excellent soldier in the first war.

I rest my case. You are free to follow your calling.
How much can you misconstrue my quote???

1) I said hindu extremists -which should mean only those who sullied Tipu Sultan and not all the hindus.Btw being a hindu myself I would not do that.
2)How can you even compare Tipu sultan's heroism with Dyer's????
Did Dyer help in reconstruction of a temple??? - NO
Did Dyer come up with an invention or even commission something similar to the mysore rocket???- NO
Did Dyer die fighting like a brave soldier??- NO
then where's the comparison???

And let me give you another example
We call lord rama our god and hero while Ravan is an anti-hero when the fact is that
1)Ram violated a woman,surpanakha ("naak katna in hindi would mean violating isn't it??)
2) Ram left his pregnant wife alone in a jungle so that wild animals could feast on her.

And Ravan's effigies are burnt because
1) He tried to restore his sister's honor.
2) For not violating Sita when he could 've done that easily.

Ironical isn't it??

he was a mass killer and rapist...don't you know what he did in North Kerala??
I know that he killed but rape??I am not sure.

Last edited:
No. We depend on Tipu's own letters to build the narrative. The British narrative set in only with respect to the Anglo-Mysore Wars.
I am talking about his letter actually. It was more of a frantic desperation to seek help against the Marathas and the British than a letter.

Last edited:
he was a mass killer and rapist...don't you know what he did in North Kerala??

I once too fantasized Tipu Sultan as a hero because of that misleading Hindi TV series Sword of Tipu Sultan until I grew old and came to know about his mass murder and persecution of Hindus and Christians in Malabar and Dakshina Kannada. I don't believe its necessary for us to consider him as hero because he fought against the British bravely and his bigotry will always be a blot on his bravery against British.

he was a mass killer and rapist...
Bogus. Yes, he killed his opponents in war. At the the same time, no mercy was shown to him and his associates by the British and the Marathas . The same treatment was reciprocated. Read history in totality, not in parts.:coffee:

True. Just as long as we remember that it is not the only part to the man.

That was the key part of his personality, I believe Tipu Sultan never had regret for the things he committed in Malabar and Dakshina Kannada. I always wonder why we Indians need to search for a hero even in bigoted people simply because they fought bravely against British.

That was the key part of his personality never to be ignored, I believe Tipu Sultan never had regret for the things he committed in Malabar and Dakshina Kannada. I always wonder why we Indians need to search for a hero even in bigoted people simply because they fought bravely against British.

Not as simple as that. If we wait for a hero without flaws, even serious ones, we may be left with a very thin list, if that. Tipu is both an hero & a villain. How you see him depends on where you sit (true for everyone). I just happen to hold a more nuanced view. As I do with Akbar. Or Chingis Khan. Or Asoka. Or Nehru....

For Me Tipu Sultan is a hero. He fought against British like a hero and died like a hero. The fact that name is his capital remained Sri Rangpattanm during his tenure is ample proof of his tolerance. Royal patronage was provided to the
Ranganathaswamy Temple during his rule. even the temples in Bangalore fort and his summer palace were left intact.

Not as simple as that. If we wait for a hero without flaws, even serious ones, we may be left with a very thin list, if that. Tipu is both an hero & a villain. How you see him depends on where you sit (true for everyone). I just happen to hold a more nuanced view. As I do with Akbar. Or Chingis Khan. Or Asoka. Or Nehru....

@Bang Galore Sir @levina Our fantasizing of Tipu Sultan can be traced to our modern Indian Nationalism which includes struggle of Indian people against Brits but such thing hardly exist during those days all it was to save their respective kingdoms from British expansion and getting mileage against other kingdom, Haider Ali himself stole the throne from the Wadiyars. Some of the nationalistic feeling evolved during 1857 Revolt when many of them kingdoms agreed on Bahadur Shah Zafar as The Emperor of India, but still it was the same story until it became a massive nationalistic movement under Indian National Congress. Malabar and Dakshina Kannada are still the Indian territory and I only see the compulsion of looking for a hero in everyone who fought against British based on our modern nationalistic perception of Indian people's struggle against British rule.

I only see the compulsion of looking for a hero in everyone
Who is making him hero??? Facts are being told.
clear.png

@Bang Galore Sir @levina Our fantasizing of Tipu Sultan can be traced to our modern Indian Nationalism which includes struggle of Indian people against Brits but such thing hardly exist during those days all it was to save their respective kingdoms from British expansion,

I agree. True of 1857, true of the Rani of Jhansi etc. No point in picking on Tipu alone.

I agree. True of 1857, true of the Rani of Jhansi etc. No point in picking on Tipu alone.

I am not aware of any account of Rani of Jhansi leaving terrible memories among people of some regions of India.

I am not aware of any account of Rani of Jhansi leaving terrible memories among people of some regions of India.

Not my point. It was your reference to the rulers fighting for their own kingdoms that I was answering to. If terrible memories are to be picked on, I wonder what the Shaivites might have made of the Maratha antics in the Ujjain Kumbh of 1826. History is complicated. You, my dear chap, know it better than most. Taking an absolutist position like you have here, doesn't become you.

Read what the Scindia fraction of Marathas, the Siks, the Gurkhas and the dogras did to Muslims and their religious places during 1857. You will be shocked.:coffee: Why muslims of India turned into neo-dalits by 1860s? Everything happened automatically?

Read what the Scindia fraction of Marathas, the Siks, the Gurkhas and the dogras did to Muslims and their religious places during 1857. You will be shocked.:coffee: Why muslims of India turned into neo-dalits by 1860s? Everything happened automatically?

I already explained today we see things as the perception of modern Indian nationalism of struggle of Indian people against British rule which hardly existed when British were expanding in India, some of it evolved during 1857 revolt when Bahadur Shah Zafar was accepted as emperor of India but it wasn't until the massive nationalistic movement under Indian National Congress. Certainly, Tipu Sultan who committed persecution and mass murder of Hindus and Christians can't be my hero.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom