What's new

Pakistani Vegetarian Cuisine

Any non Punjabi non Sindhi veg dish ?
Marc Wiens went to Gilgit I think in 2018 ...There are a lot of vegetable dishes from the Gilgit Baltistan area..check out his videos on youtube...He made the greatest exposition of Pakistan
Sorry but I surmise that except in Punjab and Sindh, vegetarian dishes are nonexistent in Pakistan. There may be some vegetarian supplement (akin to pickle) for the purpose of tasting but nothing essentially vegetarian. @Imran Khan will tell.

- PRTP GWD

Sorry but I surmise that except in Punjab and Sindh, vegetarian dishes are nonexistent in Pakistan. There may be some vegetarian supplement (akin to pickle) for the purpose of tasting but nothing essentially vegetarian. @Imran Khan will tell.

- PRTP GWD

then how are they supposed to live? animal protein consumption is only around 20 kilos per person per year in Pak...way less than in Germany where it is like 80-90 kilos per person per year...and germany has a lot of veggie stuff

then how are they supposed to live? animal protein consumption is only around 20 kilos per person per year in Pak...way less than in Germany where it is like 80-90 kilos per person per year...and germany has a lot of veggie stuff
Naan is vegetarian. But naan alone can't be eaten. That's how one cannot avoid non-veg in Pakistan.

- PRTP GWD

- PRTP GWD

By and large, you are right.

Thats the reason I asked if they have any mostly snacks may be ......
I suspect there will be, but may be less. Areas will less agricultural land will likely have more meat based diets.

- PRTP GWD
what next ? we are alians ? you are next door nighbor of pakistan and you guys do not know anything about pakistan . can any human live without vegitables beans meats chicken fish fastfood junkfood today ? pakistan is as any other country
in one week we have same menu in middle class homes vegi/chicken /daal/beef/vegi/fried/biryani/beans . just for example . can someone eat daily meat or daily vegis ?

for example let see whole of pakistan

a common street vegetables shop in Peshawar KPK pakistan
GoxhLHYBiCFtUWAp4ihyRc4OgBrh_thxf8u-lRRQ59mqwIOV2XumezVREKkaKHPZNwViHrZQwPZIFSyswD5DG4azO0AhvHxUo47NC-xwwt-cyjhV1sqTI12s0v2B8K17eLVt13AaNcrX

a common vegetable shop in Lahore pakistan
5c8ec13344012.jpg

a common vegetables shop in mirpur azad Kashmir
maxresdefault.jpg

a street vendor sale vegetables in islamabad pakistan
5d4f2326aa177.jpg

a street vendor sales vegetables out of impress market karachi
the-vegetable-shop.jpg

here is beautiful street vendor shop of quetta pakistan

vegetable-vendor-arranges-tomatoes-to-attract-customers-at-his-push-cart-in-quetta.jpg

this is my question . how can someone live ? rich may be have luxury of many dishes but common Pakistani homes of middle class have roti /salan (curry ) as daily meal . mostly we cook at lunch time and then use it same or mixed at dinner too . people here are same as any other part of world they consume everything like meat chicken fish beans vegetables with bread or with rice but mostly with bread . some areas consume more meat then other but its not mean they eat meat 24/7 . some went for fast food too but thats only week ends and nice days too . no human like to eat same food for even three days .

just for info if someone interested

Western-style fast food in pakistan is a fairly recent phenomenon,When Pizza Hut started operations back in 1993. Since then Pizza Hut opened its branches all over Pakistan. It is pertinent to mention here that Pizza Hut was the first International franchise to enter Pakistan. KFC opened its first branch in Karachi , Pakistan in 1997, it picked the upper-middle-class neighborhood of Gulshan-e-Iqbal as its first location, September 1998 McDonald's first restaurant opened its door to the people of Pakistan in September 1998 in Lahore. liveliness, vigor and penchant for quality food. Karachi opened its first restaurant a week after Lahore.

Contents
History
KFC opened its first branch in karachi pakistan in 1997 .McDonald's were launched in Pakistan in September 1998, respectively. Hardee's launched the first of its four restaurants in Pakistan in year 2010 .

As of 2019, there are about 60 KFC outlets in more than 18 pakistani cities.With 74 outlets operational countrywide, Pizza Hut has become the first fast-food chain in the country in 2019 .

Franchises
Kentucky Fried Chicken As of 2019, there are about 60 KFC outlets in more than 18 pakistani cities.

McDonald's There are now 71 restaurants in 24 major cities of Pakistan. Today millions of Pakistanis place their trust in McDonald's to provide them with food of a very high standard, quick service and value for money.

Pizza Hut is one of America's fast food companies that repackaged their brand when they entered the Pakistani market. Pizza Hut has an image of being a low priced pizza place in the U.S.With 74 outlets operational countrywide, Pizza Hut has become the first fast-food chain in the country to go public and thier next target is to to take Pizza Hut to all districts of the country.”

SUBWAY SUBWAY is fastest growing fast food company in pakistan with 50 stores across major cities of pakistan .

Domino's Pizza domino's pizza serving from 28 branches in pakistan.

hardee's hardee's have some 21 outlets serving across pakistan since 2009.

New York Pizza New York Pizza has been serving the Pakistani Foodies since April 2012 with 10 branches across ccountry .

Broadway Pizza with 27 branches in lahore karachi and hyderabad its fastest growing pizza company in pakistan .

PIZZA POINT launched in Dec 2010, and are proud that PIZZA POINT is one of the well-known pizzerias in town.company have some 14 branches across karachi.

California pizza California pizza started in 2012 Karachi, Pakistan. Now California pizza is serving through 14 branches in Karachi & Lahore.

they are mostly same as Indian Punjabi vege dishes except Pakistanis only use basic spices in vege dishes like ed papers, small amount of haldi, garlic and ginger. Beside Pakistani mostly use meat in most vege dishes.

- PRTP GWD (RSS Gau muttra curse back at you)

List those Pakistani dishes that are made from strictly vegetarian ingredients with the exception of milk. Post pics and state the recipe.

Although this thread is Pakistan-centric this is one question for which there is little chance of any Pakistani answer.

Still hoping . . .

P. S.: And is it as delicious as the non-veg cuisine of Pakistan?

- PRTP GWD

There are a great many. I'll give you some of my favorite ones.

1) Aloo ki bhujia. Two random types below.

canon-pix-1027asa.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Can be made in uncountable different ways and they all taste very different. I personally love them all. My mom makes one with green onions which is unbelievable.

2) Bhindi in pyaz.

AAXscglP5qye8TYqEPHe43Uq6FdRsTsTIPHDYlvtrGW9gwfWG9Gh58COJLZEfYa9r6Luyicy6xai-3WSYZKdNo_VP4_Wi3G5x-CX3n_hBnMf_4X4txVUiQ

I love it. But if I was being honest, I prefer if it's made in minced meat.

3) Daal Chana. The Makhni and Achari types are meant to be had with roti.

hqdefault.jpg

It's also made in curry form to be consumed with rice but that has meat in it.

4) Maash ki daal. Consumed with roti.

Daal_Maash_16-150x150@2x.jpg

I and my family prefer this in minced meat too. But I haven't seen it being cooked with minced meat anywhere else. Maybe just my family's thing.

5) Arvi/Arbi ki bhujia.

maxresdefault.jpg

Made from Taro Root, I had always only had Arvi with meat in shorba form until I got married. So I'd think that it's not very popular but it is delicious. The picture above doesn't look anything like what my wife makes though.

6) Kari. Also known a Kari Pakora.

maxresdefault.jpg

You can have it with Roti, Naan, Kulcha or Rice. Just can't go wrong with this dish. I believe it's pretty popular in Indian Punjab as well.

7) Saag with Makai ki roti (corn roti).

72227188_187210092435565_1527358875001551452_n.jpg

Not one of my personal favorites but its considered a delicacy here and loved by most. Pretty sure it's the same across the border.

8) Massoor ki Daal with Rice.

Kaali-daal-or-khari-masoor-ki-daal-5.jpg

This, I believe, is another dish popular on both sides of the border.

9) Aloo Chana.

Chickpea-Curry_3.jpg

It is a breakfast dish. Usually had with Naan, Kulcha or Puri. Has a fair few different varieties as well.

10) Chana Masala.

images

Another dish which has a great many different varieties. Is usually a breakfast dish but can be had for lunch as well. Usually consumed with Naan or Kulcha.

In essence any vegetable and daal dish can be made and is made with and without meat. Just that more often than not it's made with meat. For example, every single dish I mentioned above is also cooked with meat. A lot of the dishes are also identical or close to North Indian vegi dishes as well.

If you eat say one meat dish once in day in one week(or twice weekly), and for the rest of six days you eat all sorts of veggies...does it make you a non vegan...

Yes, yes it does. Vegans and vegetarians do not eat meat at all.

It is actually Pakistanis are vegetarians as well as meat eaters...

That is a paradoxical statement, as explained above.

Last edited:

canon-pix-1027asa.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Can be made in uncountable different ways and they all taste very different. I personally love them all. My mom makes one with green onions which is unbelievable.

2) Bhindi in pyaz.

AAXscglP5qye8TYqEPHe43Uq6FdRsTsTIPHDYlvtrGW9gwfWG9Gh58COJLZEfYa9r6Luyicy6xai-3WSYZKdNo_VP4_Wi3G5x-CX3n_hBnMf_4X4txVUiQ

hqdefault.jpg

I and my family prefer this in minced meat too. But I haven't seen it being cooked with minced meat anywhere else. Maybe just my family's thing.

5) Arvi/Arbi ki bhujia.

maxresdefault.jpg

Made from Taro Root, I had always only had Arvi with meat in shorba form until I got married. So I'd think that it's not very popular but it is delicious. The picture above doesn't look anything like what my wife makes though.

maxresdefault.jpg

You can have it with Roti, Naan, Kulcha or Rice. Just can't go wrong with this dish. I believe it's pretty popular in Indian Punjab as well.

Not one of my personal favorites but its considered a delicacy here and loved by most. Pretty sure it's the same across the border.

8) Massor ki Daal with Rice.

9) Aloo Chana.

Chickpea-Curry_3.jpg

It is a breakfast dish. Usually had with Naan, Kulcha or Puri. Has a fair few different varieties as well.

10) Chana Masala.

images

Another dish which has a great many different varieties. Is usually a breakfast dish but can be had for lunch as well. Usually consumed with Naan or Kulcha.

In essence any vegetable and daal dish can be made and is made with and without meat. A lot of the dishes are also identical or close to North Indian vegi dishes as well.

I am just starting to eat "masoor ki peeli daal", with boiled rice and "chatni".:p:

also Pakistanis have habit of adding vegetables in everything
aloo gosht
aloo chiken
bhindi gosht
bhindi chicken
arvi gosht
arvi chiken
daal gosht
gobhi gosht
ghobi murgi
kareela gosht
kareela murgi
aloo keema
matar keema
kareela keema
palak gosht
palak chiken
shalgam gosht

these few in my mind now but list is too long . when i was kid i hate this and eat meat from plate left vegetables :partay:

This is a myth that all Pakistanis are non vegans and all Indians are vegetarians...

If you eat say one meat dish once in day in one week(or twice weekly), and for the rest of six days you eat all sorts of veggies...does it make you a non vegan...

It is actually Pakistanis are vegetarians as well as meat eaters...

The pulses(all sort of daals), vegetables, green and others are same in India and Pakistan...so what does that makes you think people here don't eat all this stuff.

Also about 60% of population of Pakistan lives in villages...and they care for their livestock of cows and buffalo for milk and utilitarian purpose, same with chickens...they are mostly vegetarians.
Let me explain you the definition of non-vegetarian by using an allegory. Whether you murder once in your lifetime or daily, you are a murderer. Same way whether you eat meat daily or once a week, you are a non-vegetarian.

- PRTP GWD

canon-pix-1027asa.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

2) Bhindi in pyaz.

hqdefault.jpg

5) Arvi/Arbi ki bhujia.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

8) Massoor ki Daal with Rice.

9) Aloo Chana.

Chickpea-Curry_3.jpg

10) Chana Masala.

images

In essence any vegetable and daal dish can be made and is made with and without meat. Just that more often that not it's made with meat. A lot of the dishes are also identical or close to North Indian vegi dishes as well.

I got this idea from none other than Salman Khan the B'wood actor one liner ' I am a Hindu and a Muslim'...(pun intended.)

List those Pakistani dishes that are made from strictly vegetarian ingredients with the exception of milk. Post pics and state the recipe.

Although this thread is Pakistan-centric this is one question for which there is little chance of any Pakistani answer.

Still hoping . . .

P. S.: And is it as delicious as the non-veg cuisine of Pakistan?

- PRTP GWD
@Mentee @BATMAN @fitpOsitive

- PRTP GWD

Back
Top Bottom