What's new

Bengali Hilsa Bhaat and Sindhi Pallo Chawal — where cuisines and cultures collide It’s not just their love for the fish that makes Bengalis and Sindhi

No.

Bengalis have a lot in common culture-wise and culinary practice-wise. But there are underlying political and religious dynamics divisions that are too strong and divisive between East Bengal and West Bengal (India).

There is a lot of suspicion and to some degree, treachery that took place around the time of the Pakistan movement. Bengal was going to be a separate multi-religious state, but that did not happen due to opposition by Hindu leaders in West Bengal who feared there was going to be a Muslim majority who were going to dominate that state (under leadership of people like Suhrawardy, Sher-e-Bangla, Nawabs of Dhaka etc.).

It is what it is I guess. Those same Bengali Hindu leaders eventually went on to form the Hindu Mahasabha, which was the forerunner of today's RSS, BJP and the Indian leader, Modi.

We can open a separate thread for it, long history.

But people are very quick to point out that All India Muslim League was formed in Dhaka and self determination of Muslims was overwhelmingly popular in comparison to self determination of Vengalis which British had countered by partitioning Bengal.

It is said that all industries and the wealth resided with West Bengal awarded to India much to the anger of Jinnah. East Pakistan started her life much like West Pakistan with one hand tied behind her back. As soon as things started to take a turn for the good with 20 years of hardwork and sacrifice, Bengalis rebelled under the note of self determination of Bengalis and formed Bangladesh via India's war. Still much of Bangladesh's infrastructure is owed to 25 years of the region under administration of East Pakistan.

But people are very quick to point out that All India Muslim League was formed in Dhaka and self determination of Muslims was overwhelmingly popular in comparison to self determination of Vengalis which British had countered by partitioning Bengal.

It is said that all industries and the wealth resided with West Bengal awarded to India much to the anger of Jinnah. East Pakistan started her life much like West Pakistan with one hand tied behind her back. As soon as things started to take a turn for the good with 20 years of hardwork and sacrifice, Bengalis rebelled under the note of self determination of Bengalis and formed Bangladesh via India's war. Still much of Bangladesh's infrastructure is owed to 25 years of the region under administration of East Pakistan.

Let's start a separate thread - this is off topic for the thread.

Let's start a separate thread - this is off topic for the thread.

I would lose interest in a thread exclusive to Bengali or Bangladeshi interest and seems quite a taboo topic for them too.

I would lose interest in a thread exclusive to Bengali or Bangladeshi interest and seems quite a taboo topic for them too.

Bangladeshis and Pakistanis share a unified past history.

There are multiple topics about early East Pakistan and Muslim League history in this sub-forum and it may be a sticky thread too.

But you are right. Talking about the past is kind of useless unless you are a historian.

One should take lessons from the past only to avoid future mistakes.

Last edited:
I can relate to this article, my family also migrated from East Pakistan to Karachi.
They adore eating fish a lot while we don't even like its smell.
Khana tou bohat door ki baat hai...

I can relate to this article, my family also migrated from East Pakistan to Karachi.
They adore eating fish a lot while we don't even like its smell.
Khana tou bohat door ki baat hai...

To each his own. I don't think most Pakistanis are used to catching or eating fish, except Sindhi folks.

I am also partial to fried or poached fish, not fish curry. Mostly Salmon Fillets when I am in the US.

Salmon steaks have no bones and is usually expensive.

No bones, and excellent for one's health.

People say Bengalis get their higher intellect from fish in the diet - omega fatty acids.

These pieces are $10 each in the US. Quite nice.

1693016911763.png

To each his own. I don't think most Pakistanis are used to catching or eating fish, except Sindhi folks.

I am also partial to fried or poached fish. Mostly Salmon Fillets when I am in the US.

Salmon steaks have no bones and is usually expensive.

No bones, and excellent for one's health.

People say Bengalis get their higher intellect from fish in the diet - omega fatty acids.

These pieces are $10 each in the US. Quite nice.

View attachment 948682

Yummy:enjoy:

You speak with a lot of hubris my friend. Like bdesh it's self is incapable. Let's not forget as well thag during that era alot of the development that happened in west pak from E.Pak bringing in the dollars by exporting and the surplus economy on the books.

I am not gonna dig deeper, as some pple like to go nuclear, as they have too much superiority complex and hubris.

You speak with a lot of hubris my friend. Like bdesh it's self is incapable. Let's not forget as well thag during that era alot of the development that happened in west pak from E.Pak bringing in the dollars by exporting and the surplus economy on the books.

I am not gonna dig deeper, as some pple like to go nuclear, as they have too much superiority complex and hubris.

How thankless can you be?

Guys this thread is for food and culture. Please keep the thread on topic, if you would.

How thankless can you be?

Like I said hubris. No introspection. I don't pry any more deeper. Level of entitlement from pak members.

Become more humble, instead of being on pedestal and you will see so many different things you have never seen before.

Off-topic discussion is not encouraged here.

No.

Bengalis have a lot in common culture-wise and culinary practice-wise. But there are underlying political and religious dynamics divisions that are too strong and divisive between East Bengal and West Bengal (India).

There is a lot of suspicion and to some degree, treachery that took place around the time of the Pakistan movement. Bengal was going to be a separate multi-religious state, but that did not happen due to opposition by Hindu leaders in West Bengal who feared there was going to be a Muslim majority who were going to dominate that state (under leadership of people like Suhrawardy, Sher-e-Bangla, Nawabs of Dhaka etc.).

This state was going to encompass the seven sisters in North East India and even Chattisgarh and Orissa (Odisha). Huge resources.

It is what it is I guess. Those same Bengali Hindu leaders eventually went on to form the Hindu Mahasabha, which was the forerunner of today's RSS, BJP and the Indian leader, Modi.

We can open a separate thread for it, long history.
This is where like usual you have started off topic discussions in a food thread.
As usual you have started providing wrong information, to prove your narrative.

Last edited:
Because 1 Hilsa costs Tk. 2000:tdown:
And think it will used without a head and tail. You will get 5-6 pieces of a 1 kg fish.
In West Bengal we will have fish in special occasions along with mutton for a marriage. Its a prestige issue. It can be of Prawns, Catla, Sea Bass etc. Used to have Ilish in the dish, but now its out of reach and reserved for elites.
15 years ago during my marriage Ilish, bass along with mutton was served to the guests. It was affordable that time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom