What's new

Why our textbooks should include Ranjit Singh

dude since when people consider movies as source of knowledge....i have not seen that movie but did that movie show that asoka and his father bindusara belonged to ajivika religion which is now vanished(or it must have evolved to jainism)

What is ajivika religion? :what:

There were kingdoms within India before the British, even your fellow South Indian members can enlighten you about the subject.

Gah you people have such a short memory span. I lived in the US for a while, and I can honestly say that I learned the same history that your textbooks provided so it's very obvious you people in some sort of denial.

Here is to refresh your limited memory span, my little pakistani friend.
- Bhārata Gaṇarājya, and the name is derived from the ancient Indian texts, the Puranas, which refers to the land that comprises India as Bharata varṣam, and uses this term to distinguish it from other varṣas or continents.[4] For example, the Vayu Puranas says he who conquers the whole of Bharata-varsa is celebrated as a samrāt (Vayu Purana 45, 86).

- The English term is from Greek Ἰνδία (Indía), via Latin India.

- Indía in Byzantine (Koine Greek) ethnography denotes the region beyond the Indus (Ἰνδός) river, since Herodotus (5th century BC) ἡ Ἰνδική χώρη, hē Indikē chōrē; "Indian land", Ἰνδός, Indos, "an Indian"

- Old Persian Hinduš (referring to what is now known as Sindh, and listed as a conquered territory by Darius I in the Persepolis terrace inscription). The name is derived ultimately from Sindhu, the Sanskrit name of the river, but also meaning "river" generically. Latin India is used by Lucian (2nd century).

- 印度 (pronounced Yin du) is the Chinese word for India. It sounds similar to Hindu and Sindhu.

- Tenjiku (天竺) is the Japanese word commonly used in reference to pre-modern India. Tian, the root word for the Japanese kanji, means "heaven", while, jiku, means: "the center of", or 'primary concentration of'. Therefore the word is known to mean: "the heavenly center of the world" or "the spiritual axis (center)", a reference to the Indian origins of Buddhism.

Gah you people have such a short memory span. I lived in the US for a while, and I can honestly say that I learned the same history that your textbooks provided so it's very obvious you people in some sort of denial.

Here is to refresh your limited memory span, my little pakistani friend.
You're basing your knowledge after the Aryan Invasion. The fact that they invaded parts of India, and there were many that were independent indicate that "India" was not unified.

Btw, I'm a student in a University here. My entire education is from Pakistan.

According to asoka movie (2001) ashoka was very cruel before accepting buddhism.

Cruel ??

Well, he was in the same expansionist mold of raising territory like many musim warriors of histroty you guys so admire.

But aghast by the sheer bloodshed seen in the gory battle of Kalinga(modern day Odisha) where more than one Lakh men died defending Independent status of the state of kalinga, brought changes to his warring mindset and under the guidance of a buddist monk he statedd spreading principles of peace and non violence teachings of Buddha as measures of repentance and self correction.

Ironcally , kalinga was the last unconquered land left outside the Mauryan empire which had expanded from Afghanistan to border of Tamilnadu . After the conquest kalinga he probably need not engage in any battles anymore as he had already lorded over the largest indian empire ever seen.

You're basing your knowledge after the Aryan Invasion. The fact that invaded parts of India, and there were many that were independent indicate that "India" was not unified.

The Aryan invasion is a theory. And if you actually read what I posted, you would know that "India" was termed as the land beyond the Indus River.

According to asoka movie (2001) ashoka was very cruel before accepting buddhism.

You are correct.He was one of the most cruel emperor of his time.But the Kalinga war totally moved him and he shunned violence after that,became a Buddhist.

The Aryan invasion is a theory. And if you actually read what I posted, you would know that "India" was termed as the land beyond the Indus River.
The land beyond Indus river, or Sindh. What's your point?
Also how would you explain that Sanskrit and Avestan are sister languages?

Back
Top Bottom