What's new

Why Hindi-Urdu is One Language and Arabic is Several

Listen to people who go to government schools in Pakistan, as compared to the confused kids that go to private schools, and can speak English better than their mother tongues.

Maybe that's the source of confusion. Most young Pakistani expats are more likely to be from English-medium schools than Urdu-medium. (I am not talking about family migration).

So foreigners' view of Pakistani Urdu is different from reality within Pakistan.

Maybe that's the source of confusion. Most young Pakistani expats are more likely to be from English-medium schools than Urdu-medium. (I am not talking about family migration).

So foreigners' view of Pakistani Urdu is different from reality within Pakistan.

Not really.

We can watch some of your TV programs on Youtube. We know what it is like.

Pakistan's national anthem is written in Persian, yet people know what it means. Don't doubt the whole Pakistani nation my friend, just because there are some young people who go to private schools and are influenced by Bollywood doesn't mean most Pakistanis don't understand Urdu poetry. Almost all Pakistanis before grade 9 study Urdu poetry in great detail, & even in high school, Urdu poetry is a mandatory subject. Pakistani people also understand Urdu poetry than Indian people who speak Hindi do, I can assure you of that my friend.

Watch this video of me speaking regular Urdu, nothing advanced at all, & you will know what I mean. And btw, I have not lived in Pakistan in the last 13 years (9 years in the US, 4 in Nigeria), and I'm 23. Listen to people who go to government schools in Pakistan, as compared to the confused kids that go to private schools, and can speak English better than their mother tongues.

i can also say that just becoz some young people who go to private schools and are influenced by Hollywood doesn't mean most Indians(north) don't understand shudh Hindi.
Bilal, what is the point that ure trying to make. im asking this nth time.
should i assume that u ureself are confused and dont know what actually ure trying to prove here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to to suggest pakistani members to learn sanskrit... they will find what ever we speak consists 60% sanskrit terms 20% english terms and rest of the words from the languages of tibet-burmese and arabian-persian languages....

If pakistani think hindi has only influence of muslims from west they are wrong.... hindi do have influence of languages of southeast asia

Hinduism is not inherently secular in nature. I can talk about that in great detail, but that is not the issue at hand here.

That is what is taught to you. Now there is a great difference between what is taught to someone and what it is in reality.

Not really.

We can watch some of your TV programs on Youtube. We know what it is like.

Also, I have interacted with several Pakistanis personally. I have friends among them, both in Canada and the states.

I didn't find any difference in the language we spoke. May be there was a minor one but none of us ever noticed it.

Also, I have interacted with several Pakistanis personally. I have friends among them, both in Canada and the states.

I didn't find any difference in the language we spoke. May be there was a minor one but none of us ever noticed it.

Obviously, they speak in a way that would be understandable to everyone. I do that all the time as well, sometimes replacing my pure Urdu words with Shudh Hindi words or English ones, so that my Indian friends can understand what I'm saying.

@bilalhaider

I wanted to make a point that Amir Khusrau you quoted that is using Persian, NOT Hindvi or Hindustani or even Urdu to be honest. Don't give me that Pakistani national anthem is Persian and Pakistanis undestand it. A native langauge is something that you learn from your mother. No mother speaks persian in Pakistan.

You want to listen to Amir Khusrau in Hindvi, here is Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan singing the geet from the couplets I quoted. And I'm pretty sure most North Indians would be able to understand it. Words like geet, Tilak are local words and so is the grammar and sentence construct. So what if he wrote in Nastaliq?

I speak Urdu at home and have studied at school so I can understand cent per cent what you said in that video, but most Indians even if they couldn't understand each word will know what you are talking about and get meaning of some of the words from context. On the other hand, Any Turk, Arab or Persian will not even know what you are talking about except catch a few words that you said here are there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously, they speak in a way that would be understandable to everyone. I do that all the time as well, sometimes replacing my pure Urdu words with Shudh Hindi words or English ones, so that my Indian friends can understand what I'm saying.

Nope, we were speaking naturally as we always do.

I can speak Shudh Sanskritized Hindi that will be difficult for them and may be some of them can use heavy Persianized Urdu. But we spoke what we do normally and there was hardly any difference.

No mother speaks persian in Pakistan.

Actually, many native Balochis in Pakistan speak Persian, so your claim is completely false. There is also a Sistan Balochistan in Iran as well, and they speak Persian as well as Balochi, so many native Balochis in Pakistan speak Persian, especially if you go to places like Taftan & Dalbandin & closer areas.

Don't give me that Pakistani national anthem is Persian and Pakistanis undestand it.

Pakistanis understand the national anthem perfectly well, & its written in Persian.

You want to listen to Amir Khusrau in Hindvi, here is Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan singing the geet from the couplets I quoted.

Did I say Urdu is devoid of non-Persian/non-Arabic words? No. I said Khari Boli is an integral part of Urdu, more so than Persian/Arabic words, but the latter are important as well from a historical & cultural point of view. It was India post 1947 that wanted to 'purify' their language by getting rid off its Arabic/Persian words. No one spoke in Shudh Hindi as it is known today prior to 1947.

So the question again. What exactly are you trying to say?

And no, don't label the languages again. Is it just that India has chosen to remove some foreign words from the common colloquial language?

Actually, many native Balochis in Pakistan speak Persian, so your claim is completely false. There is also a Sistan Balochistan in Iran as well, and they speak Persian as well as Balochi, so many native Balochis in Pakistan speak Persian, especially if you go to places like Taftan & Dalbandin & closer areas.

So? Does that apply to >97% Pakistanis who don't speak Persian?

So the question again. What exactly are you trying to say?

And no, don't label the languages again. Is it just that India has chosen to remove some foreign words from the common colloquial language?

They aren't foreign words my friend. You said so yourself before that Khari Boli is not Hindi. Hindi today is basically Urdu, although it wasn't called by that name. The Indian government post 1947 felt insecure about Urdu, and decided to deteriorate it by forming a 'purer', Shudh Hindi that no one spoke before 1947, & which is not Khari Boli.

Even if that is true, that remains our choice! Why don't you get it?

Because Shudh Hindi is an artificial creation which was created for the sole purpose of bringing down the status of Urdu & the history of the Muslims. And they have succeeded. Urdu, which is an older language than (Shudh) Hindi, is now regarded as a Madrassah, extremist, Muslim language which is quickly dissolving from India. As I said, Hindustani is another name for Urdu. Why else would the post 1947 Indian government try to 'cleanse out' the language, & form a new artificial language & enforce it on everyone?

Back
Top Bottom