What's new

Whatever

Ghaddar e wattan
IMG_20200702_101439.jpeg
IMG_20200702_101445.jpeg

NordStream might provide WesternEurope with cheap gas and energy secutiry... but it will put extra strains on TransAtlantic partnership... i.e. no more shale gas from US to Europe.

162076_582x327.png

@Vasudhaika
Just finished a deeply satisfying lunch: Rice, Brinjal sambar, Thotakoora koora, Podi with ghee, not oil (just was feeling sorry for myself and indulged in it). Bliss!
In store for later - Ullipaya pachchadi. If an academic grade of A++ were permitted, this one would scoop it up left-handed. Incredible (I've been sneaking spoonfuls every time I think I'm not looking). The carrot pachchadi sounds a little scary, with 25 red chillies and 1/2 a cup - 1/2 a cup! - of mustard seed, but those are doing their 4 hour soak and I will finish it today. As a veggie back-up for tomorrow, I'm planning Bangaladhumpa koora; I'm not allowed potatoes, but once might not kill me. Immediately.
This lady's recipes work, every single one of them. First time, at that. It is amazing. I would have known NOTHING about Andhra, or, in her case, combined Andhra-Karnataka cooking - other than Pessarattu, perhaps, as a cure for a bad mix of dosa batter - without her book.

Thotakoora koora
thotakoora imo is underrated, if cooked properly(read fried :D), it'd be awesome. Some times I feel, greens that are good for health, shouldn't be promoted as such. I've observed, people in general have this deep rooted psychology -'something good for health, will have to inevitably taste bad'.
Palli?(ground nut) Kandi?(toor) or Kobbari?(dried coconut)
I prefer sesame oil (cold pressed) with podi, ah! the flavour!
Sure Joe, that's a full meal! truly bliss.
If an academic grade of A++ were permitted, this one would scoop it up left-handed.
Oh now, what have you done! I'll have to eat ulli pachadi! I'll eat for tomorrow's breakfast.

25 red chillies and 1/2 a cup - 1/2 a cup! - of mustard seed, but those are doing their 4 hour soak and I will finish it today
I wouldn't call it carrot pachadi anymore! it is indeed 'carrot aavakaya'.

Bangaladhumpa koora; I'm not allowed potatoes, but once might not kill me
Same with my mum, couple of years back, she observed her joint pains are linked to potato/chama(taro) eating, she stopped completely. I seldom eat, nothing beats rice, sambar with deep fried potato as side though (Sambar rice with chicken fry side comes close).

This lady's recipes work, every single one of them
Interesting! Would love know more about this writer.

Andhra-Karnataka

I love uggani-bajji and bisi bele bath especially from namma Karnataka recipes.

YOU are a man after my own heart!

thotakoora imo is underrated, if cooked properly(read fried :D), it'd be awesome. Some times I feel, greens that are good for health, shouldn't be promoted as such. I've observed, people in general have this deep rooted psychology -'something good for health, will have to inevitably taste bad'.

Hundred per cent! Now, late in life, I've taken to eating greens, and it is awesome! This thotakoora koora came out sooooo good. After making it, I realised that it was the spoonful of powdered gram at the end that made it thick and so tasty. My spinach comes out very well, never failed once, but this is a discovery, had never heard of this leaf before. Today in an hour, I'll be trying to get some menthi, to experiment further with greens. AND besides being so tasty, it's supposed to be good for me after my stents.

Palli?(ground nut) Kandi?(toor) or Kobbari?(dried coconut)

Just the toor dal version, out of a packet, but the lady's given a recipe, and sometime when I'm feeling better, I'll give it a shot.

Just traced it, and will buy it soon. I switch my cooking oils or use it for regional cooking; so I switch between Sunflower, Groundnut and Rice Bran, and use Olive Oil for continental cooking (there's something called Pasta aglio e olio that I STRONGLY recommend) and Mustard for Bengali cooking. This sesame oil or gingelly oil was never part of the cuisine, and I am just discovering it now.

Sure Joe, that's a full meal! truly bliss.

Very small quantities, but the flavours were so, so good. :oops::oops::oops:

Oh now, what have you done! I'll have to eat ulli pachadi! I'll eat for tomorrow's breakfast.

I tasted a bit with a paratha. The pachchadi and the paratha fell in love at first sight.

I wouldn't call it carrot pachadi anymore! it is indeed 'carrot aavakaya'.

Feeling quite nervous. Andhra restaurants in Bangalore are treated like the Brits treat Balti; they go there to kill themselves with the spicy bit. This reads like it will turn out that way. I'm keeping LOTS of curds handy.

Same with my mum, couple of years back, she observed her joint pains are linked to potato/chama(taro) eating, she stopped completely. I seldom eat, nothing beats rice, sambar with deep fried potato as side though (Sambar rice with chicken fry side comes close).

My MIL used to make me Uppu-nai-saadu, and it was so satisfying, so simple.

Interesting! Would love know more about this writer.

She didn't write a word. Her niece (I think) Jigyasa Giri and Jigyasa's friend, Pratibha Jain, of the Times of India family, wrote the book around her narrated accounts. She was the eldest daughter (not the younger, as I wrongly said earlier) of the late President V. V. Giri, and the wife of a distinguished Indian diplomat, while her son is a director on the board of Bennett Coleman & Co. Ltd. (The publishers of the Times of India).

This book's name I have already mentioned. Believe me, it is the best I have bought.

I love uggani-bajji and bisi bele bath especially from namma Karnataka recipes.

Oh, that is a completely different chapter. My in-laws are Mysore Iyengars, and I found out that their celebratory and commemorative meals are chalk and cheese; each occasion has its own set piece menu. They even have a clan, the Kalkunthe Iyengars, who are specifically cooks. The original Bangalore Iyengar bakeries were, I am told, Kalkunthe bakeries.

@Nilgiri

Eat your heart out. :D

Yes, this is the best. Brings back some very fond memories for me too at dinner table... my dad always made it point to get my mom to bring this stuff (yennai kondu-vaa!) if she forgot...yennai of course meant nalennai (gingelly). In fact I remember the specific sound of the spoon in the jar of oil even.

His favourite was and is kollu podi (horsegram) which we just call "paruppu podi", and I am more predisposed to puliyodharai (I am a sucker for the sour taste in general)...but it simply must be gingelly oil...nothing else really brings out the best flavour.

Toor dal we prefer to have cooked rather than powdered....it is very acceptable to have simple mashed toor dal with rice as 1st course (instead of podi 1st course), with a little "televu" (top clearest layer before mixing) rasam and ghee poured on it.

Toor dal (tuvaram paruppu) of course is our standard dal to be used in the kozhambus and sambhars too and all manner of dal recipes in general (beans paruppusuli etc).....iyengars prefer pasi paruppu (moong)...that one is too weak taste for us iyers it is said....but I quite like it too.

This sesame oil or gingelly oil was never part of the cuisine, and I am just discovering it now.

Haha...welcome to the top tier of taste.

Yes, this is the best. Brings back some very fond memories for me too at dinner table... my dad always made it point to get my mom to bring this stuff (yennai kondu-vaa!) if she forgot...yennai of course meant nalennai (gingelly). In fact I remember the specific sound of the spoon in the jar of oil even.

His favourite was and is kollu podi (horsegram) which we just call "paruppu podi", and I am more predisposed to puliyodharai (I am a sucker for the sour taste in general)...but it simply must be gingelly oil...nothing else really brings out the best flavour.

Toor dal we prefer to have cooked rather than powdered....it is very acceptable to have simple mashed toor dal with rice as 1st course (instead of podi 1st course), with a little "televu" (top clearest layer before mixing) rasam and ghee poured on it.

Toor dal (tuvaram paruppu) of course is our standard dal to be used in the kozhambus and sambhars too and all manner of dal recipes in general (beans paruppusuli etc).....iyengars prefer pasi paruppu (moong)...that one is too weak taste for us iyers it is said....but I quite like it too.

Haha...welcome to the top tier of taste.

LOLOL.

You are speaking to someone who grew up eating Chhola Dal (Channa Dal to you non-Bengalis) and food cooked in mustard oil! Yennegai? Umm, well, what can you do with brinjals that size? Our cuisine needs brinjals at least 3", preferably 4 in diameter! Just to make things interesting, yennegai is vangaya koora here.

Imagine coming from the one to the other. My palate isn't dead yet, so the subtleties are apparent; but if someone, either of you, for instance, were to travel in the other direction, your taste-buds would burn out in a week. The second last course in a Bengali meal is a chutney, with papad; I can't see myself with a podi and hapla (OK, appalam).

I am now in that twilight zone where my brother-in-law's wife, an Iyer, poor thing, refers to puliodharai, her - and my in-laws talk of puliogre, and I find myself living in a land where they look at me mystified until I ask for pulihora. We have polao and fried rice, but nothing like this. Somebody approaching a Bong with a rasam would probably die a horrible death, for exchanging the properly creamy, coconut- and kismis-filled Chhola Dal with this weak, inanimate substitute.

Don't get me started about sarson ka saag and makki di roti; 15 red chillis and half a cup of mustard seed are soaking waiting to be pasted for a carrot pachadi later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom