What's new

Whatever

Smile, there’s joy in Bangla

Oct. 29: Some may think it can’t get any worse: a suspected plot to assassinate Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has been unearthed next door and a rolling general strike is lurking after a tribunal sentenced to death Jamaat-e-Islami chief Motiur Rahman Nizami for 1971 war crimes.

Not the best of times to devote attention to simple pleasures of life, right?

Not really.

Many Bangladeshis are keeping close tabs on an event far removed from the gloom and doom of assassination plots and gallows.

Accounts from Dhaka said a large chunk of the population remained glued to television today to watch the live coverage of the gaye holud (turmeric smearing) ceremony of Bangladesh’s railway minister Md. Mujibul Hoque.

The 67-year-old railway minister surprised the nation earlier this month by announcing his decision to marry 29-year-old Honufa Akhter Rikta, a post-graduate in law, after seeking blessings from Prime Minister Hasina. Till then, Hoque was a sworn bachelor — the single status not unheard of either in Indian politics or in the Indian railway ministry.

Both Hoque and Rikta hail from Comilla, where the couple will tie the knot on Friday. The reception by the groom’s side – bou bhat -- will be held at a hall in the National Parliament Complex on November 14.

“I cannot recall a wedding that has aroused so much interest in our country…. At least six television channels were beaming the gaye holud ceremony live on a day the special tribunal had pronounced the death sentence, which triggered protests,” said Matiur Rahman Chowdhury, the editor-in-chief, Manab Zamin. Some reporters were wearing yellow kurtas to capture the mood.

Immediately after the judgment, Jamaat supporters called a nation-wide general strike to be observed tomorrow, Sunday and Monday. Jamaat activists and members of their student wing attacked police and fought with ruling Awami League supporters in different parts of the country, which brought back memories of the violent strikes ahead of this year’s general election, which Bangladesh Nationalist Party, the main Opposition in the country, had boycotted.

In a country characterised by sharp divisions along political affiliations, the debate on whether the elections were right or wrong has continued. There has been no dearth of debatable local and global topics – ranging from Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s foreign policy to the approach of the EU and the US towards the Bangladesh government -- in the nation obsessed with talk shows.

30pic3new.jpg

30newscake-new.jpg
(Top) The turmeric-smearing ceremony of Md Mujibul Hoque; the cake specially brought for the occasion.
Pictures by Hashibur Reza Kallol
“But this wedding has become the topic of common discussion since its announcement. We Bengalis have a humorous streak and we know how to laugh even in a tense environment,” Chowdhury, the editor, added.

The news of the wedding of Hoque, a post-graduate in law and a farmer’s son who rose through the Awami League ranks to become a minister, made it to the cabinet meeting, too, said an Awami League source.

The cabinet discussed the matter in a lighter vein because of a coincidence.

“Hoque’s wedding had come up for discussion at a cabinet meeting earlier this month when the rail minister’s namesake, junior labour minister Mujibul Haque Chunnu, said that he was facing embarrassment as people were asking him about his second marriage,” said the source.

According to him, the reaction about the wedding was “mixed” in the party as some leaders thought that Hoque should have kept the wedding a low-key affair. “But others thought there was nothing wrong in having a mega reception,” said the source.

“Some said that Hoque-saheb was so busy in politics that he never got the time to marry… Better late than never,” the source quoted a party leader as saying.

This is not the first time that a public figure is proving that it is never too late to find a companion. At 71, former President H.M. Ershad married a 30-year-old woman. Former foreign minister Abdus Samad Azad got married to a 35-year-old woman when he was above 70.

Hoque has sought to pre-empt jibes in his party by keeping Hasina in the loop – and letting the world know that the wedding has the Prime Minister’s blessings.

“I went to get my leader’s blessings yesterday. She prayed so that all goes well during my wedding…. The party leaders are happy after the prayer. The people are happy. This is the reason why the people have blessed me with their love,” Hoque was quoted in bdnews24.com, a news portal.

That commerce minister Tofayel Ahmed and other leaders were present at today’s ceremony — and prospects that top leaders would grace the reception in Dhaka – suggests the blessings did work.

@bd4ever @ImranKhan @arp2041 @Roybot @jaunty @levina @SarthakGanguly

Anyone going??

Oct. 29: Some may think it can’t get any worse: a suspected plot to assassinate Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has been unearthed next door and a rolling general strike is lurking after a tribunal sentenced to death Jamaat-e-Islami chief Motiur Rahman Nizami for 1971 war crimes.

Not the best of times to devote attention to simple pleasures of life, right?

Not really.

Many Bangladeshis are keeping close tabs on an event far removed from the gloom and doom of assassination plots and gallows.

Accounts from Dhaka said a large chunk of the population remained glued to television today to watch the live coverage of the gaye holud (turmeric smearing) ceremony of Bangladesh’s railway minister Md. Mujibul Hoque.

The 67-year-old railway minister surprised the nation earlier this month by announcing his decision to marry 29-year-old Honufa Akhter Rikta, a post-graduate in law, after seeking blessings from Prime Minister Hasina. Till then, Hoque was a sworn bachelor — the single status not unheard of either in Indian politics or in the Indian railway ministry.

Both Hoque and Rikta hail from Comilla, where the couple will tie the knot on Friday. The reception by the groom’s side – bou bhat -- will be held at a hall in the National Parliament Complex on November 14.

“I cannot recall a wedding that has aroused so much interest in our country…. At least six television channels were beaming the gaye holud ceremony live on a day the special tribunal had pronounced the death sentence, which triggered protests,” said Matiur Rahman Chowdhury, the editor-in-chief, Manab Zamin. Some reporters were wearing yellow kurtas to capture the mood.

Immediately after the judgment, Jamaat supporters called a nation-wide general strike to be observed tomorrow, Sunday and Monday. Jamaat activists and members of their student wing attacked police and fought with ruling Awami League supporters in different parts of the country, which brought back memories of the violent strikes ahead of this year’s general election, which Bangladesh Nationalist Party, the main Opposition in the country, had boycotted.

In a country characterised by sharp divisions along political affiliations, the debate on whether the elections were right or wrong has continued. There has been no dearth of debatable local and global topics – ranging from Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s foreign policy to the approach of the EU and the US towards the Bangladesh government -- in the nation obsessed with talk shows.

(Top) The turmeric-smearing ceremony of Md Mujibul Hoque; the cake specially brought for the occasion.
Pictures by Hashibur Reza Kallol
“But this wedding has become the topic of common discussion since its announcement. We Bengalis have a humorous streak and we know how to laugh even in a tense environment,” Chowdhury, the editor, added.

The news of the wedding of Hoque, a post-graduate in law and a farmer’s son who rose through the Awami League ranks to become a minister, made it to the cabinet meeting, too, said an Awami League source.

The cabinet discussed the matter in a lighter vein because of a coincidence.

“Hoque’s wedding had come up for discussion at a cabinet meeting earlier this month when the rail minister’s namesake, junior labour minister Mujibul Haque Chunnu, said that he was facing embarrassment as people were asking him about his second marriage,” said the source.

According to him, the reaction about the wedding was “mixed” in the party as some leaders thought that Hoque should have kept the wedding a low-key affair. “But others thought there was nothing wrong in having a mega reception,” said the source.

“Some said that Hoque-saheb was so busy in politics that he never got the time to marry… Better late than never,” the source quoted a party leader as saying.

This is not the first time that a public figure is proving that it is never too late to find a companion. At 71, former President H.M. Ershad married a 30-year-old woman. Former foreign minister Abdus Samad Azad got married to a 35-year-old woman when he was above 70.

Hoque has sought to pre-empt jibes in his party by keeping Hasina in the loop – and letting the world know that the wedding has the Prime Minister’s blessings.

“I went to get my leader’s blessings yesterday. She prayed so that all goes well during my wedding…. The party leaders are happy after the prayer. The people are happy. This is the reason why the people have blessed me with their love,” Hoque was quoted in bdnews24.com, a news portal.

That commerce minister Tofayel Ahmed and other leaders were present at today’s ceremony — and prospects that top leaders would grace the reception in Dhaka – suggests the blessings did work.

@bd4ever @ImranKhan @arp2041 @Roybot @jaunty @levina @SarthakGanguly

Anyone going??
Yes I will go with my Rayban aviators on. :P

Gaawd!
That man is marrying a gal half his age .Even Digvijay singh looks like an angel infront of this guy. Lolz

@seiko you havent mentioned @BDforever properly.

long time no seen, busy so much ?

Well i keep an eye on all of you.
The usual stuff brother.But one have to create time for everything.
Your studies , how is it going on that front.
Read before that you have started a job/internship.Tough work?

Well i keep an eye on all of you.
The usual stuff brother.But one have to create time for everything.
Your studies , how is it going on that front.
Read before that you have started a job/internship.Tough work?
doing business :D yea little hard for starter, lets see :)

Back
Top Bottom