BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
293135_130522907091056_1456910978_n.jpg

US Navy ship collides with oil tanker in Gulf
August 12, 2012 08:16 GMT

%reldate(2012-08-12T08:12:04

MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) -- The U.S. Navy says one of its guided-missile destroyers collided with an oil tanker early Sunday but that no one was injured in the accident.

The collision involving the USS Porter and the Panamanian-flagged bulk oil tanker M/V Otowasan occurred at approximately 1 a.m. local time, the U.S. Navy said in a statement.

The damage to the Porter is being evaluated and the incident is under investigation, the Navy added.

The USS Porter is on a scheduled deployment to the U.S. 5th Fleet, which is based in Bahrain.

The Strait of Hormuz, located at the mouth of the Persian Gulf, is where one-fifth of the world's oil is routed. Tensions have risen there over Iran's threats to block tanker traffic in retaliation for tighter sanctions by the West.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...es-with-oil-tanker-near-strait-of-hormuz.html

iS08TpCblaLY.jpg

They were on a special OP to locate submarines in that area.Then suddenly an oil tanker appeared out of no where like an iceburg.

Most of you must have read that lighthouse joke.:lol:

and i wonder if it was an ultra high tech stealth 6th or 7th generation ship which couldnt see a 200,000 ton oil tanker and failed to perform one of the most basic purposes of any Navigation system..
Collision avoidance :rofl:

Its a Japanese made tanker, hence a stealth tanker. Japanese far ahead of us. And it wouldn't surprise me if the sailor was texting while sailing.

293135_130522907091056_1456910978_n.jpg

US Navy ship collides with oil tanker in Gulf
August 12, 2012 08:16 GMT

%reldate(2012-08-12T08:12:04

MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) -- The U.S. Navy says one of its guided-missile destroyers collided with an oil tanker early Sunday but that no one was injured in the accident.

The collision involving the USS Porter and the Panamanian-flagged bulk oil tanker M/V Otowasan occurred at approximately 1 a.m. local time, the U.S. Navy said in a statement.

The damage to the Porter is being evaluated and the incident is under investigation, the Navy added.

The USS Porter is on a scheduled deployment to the U.S. 5th Fleet, which is based in Bahrain.

The Strait of Hormuz, located at the mouth of the Persian Gulf, is where one-fifth of the world's oil is routed. Tensions have risen there over Iran's threats to block tanker traffic in retaliation for tighter sanctions by the West.

U.S. Navy Ship Collides With Tanker Near Strait of Hormuz - Bloomberg

iS08TpCblaLY.jpg

We should call you up to give them lessons :smokin:

Guys, have you never heard about ships colliding before?

On a civilian ship there are only one or two people on navigation bridge...On a Navy ship there is a hoard of "Trained professionals" keeping the navigational watch...
Combine that with "Le american technology borrowed from Optimus prime" and they could keep their ship safe..

On a civilian ship there are only one or two people on navigation bridge...On a Navy ship there is a hoard of "Trained professionals" keeping the navigational watch...
Combine that with "Le american technology borrowed from Optimus prime" and they could keep their ship safe..

So you are saying that it was the tanker's fault cause there are 2 people. I mean the picture shows the tanker crashing on starboard side of the ship, not the destroyer ruining its bow crashing into the tanker.

So you are saying that it was the tanker's fault cause there are 2 people. I mean the picture shows the tanker crashing on starboard side of the ship, not the destroyer ruining its bow crashing into the tanker.
The title is misleading to start.

If it was 'US Navy ship in a collision with...' then reasonably intelligent and objective readers would hesitate to cast blame on anyone until all the facts are in.

But if it was 'US Navy collided with...' then the immediate impression is that the US Navy is somehow at fault and the only thing that is missing is the set of facts detailing that fault.

I used to date an editor and she told me -- with a sly smile -- that such linguistic underhandedness is pretty much the first tool for any editor if a rag want to cast a first impression without appearing too obvious about it.

The title is misleading to start.

If it was 'US Navy ship in a collision with...' then reasonably intelligent and objective readers would hesitate to cast blame on anyone until all the facts are in.

But if it was 'US Navy collided with...' then the immediate impression is that the US Navy is somehow at fault and the only thing that is missing is the set of facts detailing that fault.

I used to date an editor and she told me -- with a sly smile -- that such linguistic underhandedness is pretty much the first tool for any editor if a rag want to cast a first impression without appearing too obvious about it.

Well it wouldn't matter because it was under the Commander's watch and its over for his/her career no matter how it happened.

Well it wouldn't matter because it was under the Commander's watch and its over for his/her career no matter how it happened.
True...But it matters for public consumption. The military have its own way of dealing with such events apart from public impressions.

They were on a special OP to locate submarines in that area.Then suddenly an oil tanker appeared out of no where like an iceburg.

Most of you must have read that lighthouse joke.:lol:

Is it this one :lol: or some other one.

Believe it or not...this is the transcript of an actual radio conversation between a US naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995. The Radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on Oct. 10, 1995.
US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.

CND reply: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.

CND reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!

US Ship: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS CORAL SEA*, WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!

CND reply: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

Back
Top Bottom