What's new

Turky's latest modernized M-60T tank debut on "victory day parade"

1000VA

Reaction score
Country
India
Turkey’s Latest Modernized Tank Debut on ‘Victory Day’ Parade - Defense-Update
Turkish Army displayed it’s newly upgraded M-60T main battle tanks for the first time at the 88th ‘Victory Day’ parade in August 2010. The M-60T is an upgraded M-60A1, modernized by Israel Military Industries (IMI) under a $687.5 million turnkey project. considered to be one of the world’s largest tank upgrade programs, bringing the M60A1 tank to level of the world’s leading main battle tanks. IMI delivered the last of 170 upgraded M-60A1 tank to the Turkish Army on April 7, 2010.
The program was launched in 2002 as a multi-year program that included establishment of production facilities, training and logistic support infrastructure in Turkey, and transfer the technology to local industries enabling local production of part of the systems. The modernization of the 1960 vintage M-60A1 transformed the tank into a modern weapon system, integrating modern and combat proven protection, firepower, propulsion and vectronic systems. The design implemented in the Turkish program utilized systems already proven in modern armored vehicles in service with the Israel Defense Forces, such as Israel’s Merkava 4 main battle tank.

Through the upgrade program the tank’s original 105mm rifled gun was replaced with a new 120mm smooth bore gun, all-electric turret drive, sophisticated optronic and fire control systems. The armor suite was enhanced with advanced hybrid armor system protecting the crew. A modern power-train was also introduced, including a more powerful 1000 hp MTU diesel engine with matching transmission, a final drive and advanced suspension system derived from the Merkava design, provided by IMI.

The M-60T represents a significant potential for the upgrading of a large number of M-60s class tanks that remain in operational service worldwide. Turkey itself has over 1,000 such tanks awaiting further improvements. Other M-60 operators are also considering such upgrades, extending the life span of this proven tank for decades to come.

m8fkmq.jpg

jikuhj.jpg

Damn good tank. It shouldn't even be called a M60 to be honest the only thing left over that wasn't upgraded was the shell structure. Everything else was pretty much ripped out and replaced with modern MBT Hardware. 468 modern tanks in service currently in the army. Till those more leopard 2s come in. Then Altay to replace our rusted M-48/M-60 force. M48s are not even used as tanks anymore we just dig them in somewhere and use them as fixed artillery :lol: (Kinda like what we also do with old AAA guns which are now anti infantry base defense and it works wonders :lol:)

Damn good tank. It shouldn't even be called a M60 to be honest

Yes Indeed this tank is lookin Grrrrrreat:smitten:.It should be named Altay mk-1:cheers: and the one which is under production be Mk-2 Altay.:tup:

I wonder why indians call every thing MK-I? SU-30 MKI, Arjunk MK-I? LCA MK-II (though the first even in service)

I wonder why indians call every thing MK-I? SU-30 MKI, Arjunk MK-I? LCA MK-II (though the first even in service)

Well with the Su-30 the M is the Russian designation for it. The K is what Russia puts on to their export models and the I stands for Indian if i remember correct.

As far as the rest i have no clue. We put T on most of our stuff for Turkish. T-155 T-129 J-600T

Video of Leopard-1s and then M60Ts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well with the Su-30 the M is the Russian designation for it. The K is what Russia puts on to their export models and the I stands for Indian if i remember correct.

As far as the rest i have no clue. We put T on most of our stuff for Turkish. T-155 T-129 J-600T

Thanks for info... guess its like our F-22P, and all the modification we do on the stuff like...F-7P(with western weapons,BVR and avionic upgrades)... but why indians put MK... is beyond me..

Thanks for info... guess its like our F-22P, and all the modification we do on the stuff like...F-7P(with western weapons,BVR and avionic upgrades)... but why indians put MK... is beyond me..

You answered your own question mate...

In Pakistan's case....we also label our equipment sometimes...like the Mirage jets, Mirage IIIRP (Though originally labeled by Dassault, used for other countries as well) etc.

Sometimes it's easy to keep a check.

Also, F-16IN the one from Lockheed Martin for MMRCA has "I" in it.

Yes Indeed this tank is lookin Grrrrrreat:smitten:.It should be named Altay mk-1:cheers: and the one which is under production be Mk-2 Altay.:tup:

Actually, Altay and M-60T program do not have any ties between eacothers. Altay is the specific name of the efforts that Turkish defence industry, Otokar as a main contactor, have started to develop a domestic MBT thanks to Korean technological assistance. Armour technology, engine, transmissions, turret shape, wheel number, driver section, active protection, chasis, tonnes of Altay will completely be different than M-60 and also XK-2...

otokaraltay.jpg

M-60 Sabra is an Israeli program that is ordered/supported by Turkish officials to develop M-60T version. The agreement contains the international export rights along with IMI. As far as I know, The First costumer of IMI-Aselsan team will be Colombia...

M-60T Sabra

Israel has some damn good modding / upgrading industry be is millitary hardware or cars, trucks, heavy machinery and stuff.

Israel has some damn good modding / upgrading industry be is millitary hardware or cars, trucks, heavy machinery and stuff.

Aircraft too. F-4E Terminators are awesome.

171 Pirate Filo operates a squadron of them. They are highly upgraded.

Cnv00028.jpg

f4e2020frontseatve7.jpg

f4e2020backseatyu5.jpg

Upgrades include

New MFD (multifunction display) in the front cockpit plus two in the rear, new Kaiser El-OP 976 wide-angle HUD and HOTAS system, high-performance Elta EL/M-2032 ISAR-capable high-resolution SAR/GMTI (ground moving target indicator) multi-mode fire-control radar (developed for the IAI Lavi same radar as on the Indian LCA), IAIC mission computer, new navigation equipment including GPS/INS connected to mapping mode, dual MIL-STD-553B databus managing avionics package, Astronautics Central Air Data Computer, new UHF and IFF packages, airborne video tape recorder (AVTR), Elta EL/L-8222 active ECM pod and Mikes (Aselsan) AN/ALQ-178V3 passive embedded SPEWS, and RWR.

Additionally, they had AGM-142 Popeye/Have Nap integration, Litening-II targeting pods, and the capability to launch AGM-65D/G Maverick, AGM-88 HARM, GBU-8 HOBOS, GBU-10/12 Paveway II LGBs, general purpose and cluster bombs for air-to-ground missions, while retaining the capability to launch AIM-7 Sparrow and AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles. It is also possible to install Pave Spike targeting pods and rocket pods of all sizes

Last edited:
Aircraft too. F-4E Terminators are awesome.

171 Pirate Filo operates a squadron of them. They are highly upgraded.

Cnv00028.jpg

f4e2020frontseatve7.jpg

f4e2020backseatyu5.jpg

Upgrades include

New MFD (multifunction display) in the front cockpit plus two in the rear, new Kaiser El-OP 976 wide-angle HUD and HOTAS system, high-performance Elta EL/M-2032 ISAR-capable high-resolution SAR/GMTI (ground moving target indicator) multi-mode fire-control radar (developed for the IAI Lavi same radar as on the Indian LCA), IAIC mission computer, new navigation equipment including GPS/INS connected to mapping mode, dual MIL-STD-553B databus managing avionics package, Astronautics Central Air Data Computer, new UHF and IFF packages, airborne video tape recorder (AVTR), Elta EL/L-8222 active ECM pod and Mikes (Aselsan) AN/ALQ-178V3 passive embedded SPEWS, and RWR.

Additionally, they had AGM-142 Popeye/Have Nap integration, Litening-II targeting pods, and the capability to launch AGM-65D/G Maverick, AGM-88 HARM, GBU-8 HOBOS, GBU-10/12 Paveway II LGBs, general purpose and cluster bombs for air-to-ground missions, while retaining the capability to launch AIM-7 Sparrow and AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles. It is also possible to install Pave Spike targeting pods and rocket pods of all sizes

Lechfeld AB during exercise ELITE'08

^^^^111th Filo Panther F-4E Terminator

Eskisehir AFB

Back
Top Bottom