What's new

Israel try to export and find customers for the Israeli-made main battle tank Merkava

Janmejay

Reaction score
Country
India
TEL AVIV, -- There are countries that want to buy the Merkava tank, but they are not countries that Israel can trade with. The decision taken four years ago by Ministry of Defense director general Uri Shani to export the Merkava, the mainstay of the IDF Armored Corps.

There are countries that want to buy the Merkava tank, but they are not countries that Israel can trade with. The decision taken four years ago by Ministry of Defense director general Uri Shani to export the Merkava, the mainstay of the IDF Armored Corps.
Israeli-made main battle tank Merkava Mk. 4 with Trophy active protection system

Since 2010, we‘ve been trying to export the tank, but we haven’t made a deal yet,” Ministry of Defense Mekava Tank Program Administration director Brig.-Gen. Baruch Mazliach told “Globes”.

He added,"“We will find a country that wants to procure the Merkava, and we’ll be able to continue developing this industry in Israel.”

The export of the Israeli main battle tank Merkava will strengthen all the Israeli companies involved in the Merkava’s production, and will strengthen Israel’s armored fighting vehicles industry.

The Israeli Army and the Tank Program Administration are marking the 35th anniversary of the delivery of the first Merkava tank, the pioneer of the Israeli tank industry, to the Armored Corp’s renowned 7 Brigade.

The Merkava Mk. 1 has since been superseded by the more advanced Merkava Mk. 2, Mk. 3, and Mk. 4, which the IDF likes to call the best tank in the world.

The upgrading of Israeli tanks has continued with the installation of active armor systems, which improve tanks’ survivability against the even the most advanced missile threat on the field. Every Merkava tank delivered to the IDF in the past few years is equipped with the Trophy active protection system made by Rafael Advanced Defense Systems Ltd. to automatically detect and intercept incoming antitank missiles.

During operations in Gaza, the Trophy succeeded in neutralizing attempts to use missiles to hit tanks before the crews were even aware of them.

35 years after the IDF received its first Merkava tank, 212 enterprises across the country are involved in the tank’s production, and more than 10,000 people work on the production of this war machine. Nonetheless, the Israeli tank industry is far from secure.

Israel try to export and find customers for the Israeli-made main battle tank Merkava 2303143---Army Recognition

I don't believe it, maybe the older versions, but, not the most advanced versions. If Palestinians or Lebanese or Iranians for example manage to get information on the tank they could find out about it's weak spots and sensitive points.

It seems like China has a similar looking tanks and that's odd to me. @Chinese-Dragon could you shed light on that?

The trophy system can be countered using different warheads, Kornet missiles are usually used to prevent tanks from advancing in a ground war. To destroy them IED's or certain RPG's are used to cause heavy damage or underground explosives.

I wonder how expensive this would be though?

China is a tank exporter and has no need for Merkava as its mainly a desert fighting machine.

It's designed for urban warfare I guess, and what I'm saying is it seems like China copied a Merkava, it has a similar tank or maybe I'm confusing it for something else. This is just a more urbanized version of American Abrams tank. With Israeli add ons to it.

The columnist has an ego ahead of his brain :lol:

The Leopard 2 is the world's best tank....

The columnist has an ego ahead of his brain :lol:

The Leopard 2 is the world's best tank....

Well, I'm not sure which has been put to test. The Merkava hasn't really seen much heavy fire against it. It's only put up against Palestinians who have some anti tank weapons but nothing major. So we haven't seen it's potential at all, Hezbollah managed to neutralize the Merkava and that's probably all the Palestinians could do at this point, unless some effective IED's could do more damage. In a modern sense with modern weapons it hasn't been put to test.

I don't believe it, maybe the older versions, but, not the most advanced versions. If Palestinians or Lebanese or Iranians for example manage to get information on the tank they could find out about it's weak spots and sensitive points.

It seems like China has a similar looking tanks and that's odd to me. @Chinese-Dragon could you shed light on that?

The trophy system can be countered using different warheads, Kornet missiles are usually used to prevent tanks from advancing in a ground war. To destroy them IED's or certain RPG's are used to cause heavy damage or underground explosives.

I wonder how expensive this would be though?

The Chinese light tank is unrelated to the Israeli one, and it's better not to judge by aesthetics.

It's designed for urban warfare I guess, and what I'm saying is it seems like China copied a Merkava, it has a similar tank or maybe I'm confusing it for something else. This is just a more urbanized version of American Abrams tank. With Israeli add ons to it.

Its not designed for urban warfare. Israelis took a spank when they invaded Lebanon and Ghazza. Tanks don't survive long in Urban warfare, period

Mate tanks are not designed for any sort of urban combat. Tanks are basically sitting ducks to RPG's and other weapons if they move into an urban area, since the attacker have way too many points to attack the tanks from. Plus the urban environment also hinders a tanks movement, their main gun movement and the visibility for the driver and the gunner/commander, and not to forget that if they use a tank's main gun in restricted areas there is a high chance of hurting friendly forces.

Its not designed for urban warfare. Israelis took a spank when they invaded Lebanon and Ghazza. Tanks don't survive long in Urban warfare, period

So it's optimized for urban warfare?

So it's optimized for urban warfare?

Tanks are never suited for Urban Warfare - there are add ons on Merkava like the Active Protection System etc, though they are not going to protect it from a high threat environment. If you are busy protecting a tank, you've already lost the war.

Tanks are never suited for Urban Warfare - there are add ons on Merkava like the Active Protection System etc, though they are not going to protect it from a high threat environment. If you are busy protecting a tank, you've already lost the war.
Unless they're accompanied by infantry and IFV's.

Any pic of this Chinese copy of Merkava?

Back
Top Bottom