What's new

Turkish Peace Operations in Syria (Operation Olive Branch) Updates & Discussions

That's what I mentioned. Gains,retreat,recapture of the area,retreat to finally recapture the area. That's exactly what happened during Al-Bab operation. Correct me if I am wrong,but the Turks also operated totally without close air support,no helicopters deployed to support them etc. Not to add that the Syrian fighters alongside your troops were far from competent.

Honestly,I still lack infos this current operation,how and by how much the Turks are involved,but this seems like a repeat of the first operation. Here again,the TUrAF is very active in destroying YPG targets,however I still see a lack of air support to ground forces.

Again,I would like anyone to correct me if I am wrong,since I don't have all details.
First ATAK helis for CAS appeared this night it seems... more will come with days.

Fog is prone to ambush... even more when the one being ambushed is a sitting duck...

Guerrilla warfare is well prepared and trained for such types of Ambush & Action... and it could lead to heavy casualities... if it's done rapidly...
Even more fatal, when your opponent know perfectly the area...
And even more deadly when it's a mountainous area... where movement of heavy equipement is impossible to use, to answer with fire...

We could see the consequence of such attack with ISIS and their fight inside Sand Storms in Irak and Syrian desert... the Opponent were destroyed in matter of hours... they couldn't move, neither or answer while being in their tanks/IFv etc... they were at their mercy...

Just now, Lantirn and Aselflir equipped jets and attack helicopters make a precise job. Of course guided by ground forces, UAVs and satellite imagery.

Just now, Lantirn and Aselflir equipped jets and attack helicopters make a precise job. Of course guided by ground forces, UAVs and satellite imagery.
Helis/Jets/satellites in heavy Fog and rain... can't work properly... to support ground forces... if ambushed.

That's what I mentioned. Gains,retreat,recapture of the area,retreat to finally recapture the area. That's exactly what happened during Al-Bab operation. Correct me if I am wrong,but the Turks also operated totally without close air support,no helicopters deployed to support them etc. Not to add that the Syrian fighters alongside your troops were far from competent.

Honestly,I still lack infos this current operation,how and by how much the Turks are involved,but this seems like a repeat of the first operation. The TUrAF is very active in destroying YPG targets,however I still see a lack of air support to ground forces.

Again,I would like anyone to correct me if I am wrong,since I don't have all details.
Most of the armored forces and TSK didnt even enter Syria yet, for now Airforce is cleaning the way it seems, and bad weather isnt making it easier either, all this still looks like a preparation for a invasion.

Helis/Jets/satellites in heavy Fog and rain... can't work properly... to support ground forces..

They can - they have thermal sights. Lantirn PODs and Aselflir. On the other hand there are Special Forces pointing.
SAR radars are also active on the ground.

Yep,just saw it. Good news,finally.

Turkey opened a new front from Dayr Simeon. The tactic seems to encircle Afrin completely

. Moving too slow gives the enemy time to set up traps but at the same time Turkey doesn’t need to rush. Encirclement and cutting supply lines is key. With Al Bab this wasn’t possible. The south was open for supply.

Honestly,I still lack infos this current operation,how and by how much the Turks are involved,but this seems like a repeat of the first operation. The TUrAF is very active in destroying YPG targets,however I still see a lack of air support to ground forces.

As you may have already noticed, Turkey isn't Russia or the US. We don't have the luxury of hitting civilian targets so the air support comes on certain points. Turkish drones flew over Afrin for the last 8 months maybe to collect data about the ammunition depots, tunnels etc...The first airstrikes, for example, were aimed at destroying or weakening fortifications they had set up.

The operation is like the last time carried out by FSA groups with small Turkish units supporting them.

The tactical retreat at nights is important since they've build countless tunnels in the area for the last 5 years now.

What happen to those defect or surrender or captured from PKK/PYD/YPG on the battlefield? There were some YPG members who have surrendered or were captured by FSA in the first days of the operation. What happen to these people? Do they bring them back to Turkey for interrogations and then jail them? Do they just disarm them and put them in camps? The reason why I'm asking is because, at the end of this operation, I guess there will be hundreds of prisoners that have either surrendered or captured. We can't keep them in Turkish prisons and we can't give them to Syrian government; I doubt they would even accept it. Their leaders will be taken care of, I'm sure about it but we also can't release all of their ordinary soldiers (terrorists) as they would go and join PKK or w/e else organization is left of them, as soon as we release them.

This is not flat land, outside of Afrin Valley the whole place is mountainous so not suitable for tank rushes, this is not the Syrian desert, most of the fighting will be close combat.

It is better to go slowly, secure the perimeter, 3 - 10 villages a day will put less lives at risk, tactical retreat where needed, why die for something you can grab in the morning more securely we are in no hurry, however for PKK loses of land will be irreplaceable and life lose will be huge moral blow, you will see more of them die and even more surrender as time passes.

The PKK sympathisers and western armchair generals fail to realise this because they don't value human life (military or civilian) like we do nor do they understand the conditions, terrain and political pressure we are fighting under. IF this was Syrian Arab army, Russians or Americans they would have bombed a few dozen villages in sight already but we are not animals like these armies.

Last edited:
What happen to those defect or surrender or captured from PKK/PYD/YPG on the battlefield? There were some YPG members who have surrendered or were captured by FSA in the first days of the operation. What happen to these people? Do they bring them back to Turkey for interrogations and then jail them? Do they just disarm them and put them in camps? The reason why I'm asking is because, at the end of this operation, I guess there will be hundreds of prisoners that have either surrendered or captured. We can't keep them in Turkish prisons and we can't give them to Syrian government; I doubt they would even accept it. Their leaders will be taken care of, I'm sure about it but we also can't release all of their ordinary soldiers (terrorists) as they would go and join PKK or w/e else organization is left of them, as soon as we release them.

The procedure should be fast... A quick interrogation mixed with lot’s of pain then finish with a bullet in the head and a little gasoline to burn the remainings. Terrorists do not have human rights and do not deserve mercy.

Let’s hope our commanders think like that too.

Hopefully taken somewhere and fed a bullet in the skull. Notice top PKK leaders, Salih Muslim left Afrin a week before the operations haha after all those threats to Turkey, its embarrassing. These donkeys will die for people like Salih and posters of Agopyan Ocalan.

Back
Top Bottom