What's new

Turkish Air Defence Programs

I cringe every time I see Stingers being shown as our "national air defense". Fancy-looking launchers, sure, but ultimately what they're launching is a tiny SHOULDER MOUNTABLE missile. I do understand that it's part of a "layered" defense. That's beside the point. Thanks to S-400, we now have a very serious air defense system, something we've been missing for many long years. It's not enough, of course. We probably need a second system of 2 batteries (for Istanbul/Marmara region alone) and should develop and deploy Hisar-U in large numbers.

I don't think anyone is trying to sell the stinger as our national missile, besides the launchers on the vehicle looks like the manpad types, so if the fancy toys doesn't work, soldiers can always just uninstall the shoulder launcher part :)

Perhaps the reason they're using stinger is because it's used by many countries and some might be interested in the trailer mountet short range stinger system :P

Stinger will be replaced soon with National Manpad (IIR Seeker) which is waaaaaay superior to Stinger. So it doesn't really matter what happens with the Stingers.

Also a NASAMS equivalent is in the works with Gökdogan family so we will most likely see those take over close air defense responsibilities from Stinger mounted M-113.

Which should be huggggeeee boost to security of troops inside hot areas. National Manpads+NASAMS equivalent will give a pretty robust Air-Defence layer.

SHORAD( National Manpad)
IM-SHORAD.jpg

Imagine Pars or Arma with a 30mm turret and National Manpad mounted on the side just like this picture. Aselsan/FNSS can easily develop this, they both already have 30mm turrets, Aselsan has NEFER-L which would be perfect for this role to save weight.

Aselsan-Nefer-UKSS.jpg

NASAMS (Gökdogan Family)
NASAMS.jpg

Yörük Pickup can be used for the same role

1577365183_tek-kabinli-pikap-araci.png

Last edited:
Stinger will be replaced soon with National Manpad (IIR Seeker) which is waaaaaay superior to Stinger. So it doesn't really matter what happens with the Stingers.

Also a NASAMS equivalent is in the works with Gökdogan family so we will most likely see those take over close air defense responsibilities from Stinger mounted M-113.

Which should be huggggeeee boost to security of troops inside hot areas. National Manpads+NASAMS equivalent will give a pretty robust Air-Defence layer.

SHORAD( National Manpad)
View attachment 624819
Imagine Pars or Arma with a 30mm turret and National Manpad mounted on the side just like this picture. Aselsan/FNSS can easily develop this, they both already have 30mm turrets, Aselsan has NEFER-L which would be perfect for this role to save weight.

View attachment 624823

NASAMS (Gökdogan Family)
View attachment 624820
Yörük Pickup can be used for the same role

View attachment 624821
I saw one tweet saying this year turkish MANPADS will be live tested?!?

Turkey Discloses Further Problems With Russian-made S-400 Air Defense System: https://www.globaldefensecorp.com/2...s-with-russian-made-s-400-air-defense-system/
Either the russian have rigged the system or turkey is looking for excuses to eventually abandon s400 in return for US alliance and trade deals. Trump has promised erdogan free trade agreement between turkey and the US if he permanently deactivates the s400.
Free trade agreement will be the biggest carrot for turkey to resist as it has been attemping for decades for such outcome. Free trade agreement with the US can bring similar if not bigger economic benefits for turkey than the European customs union

Either the russian have rigged the system or turkey is looking for excuses to eventually abandon s400 in return for US alliance and trade deals. Trump has promised erdogan free trade agreement between turkey and the US if he permanently deactivates the s400.
Free trade agreement will be the biggest carrot for turkey to resist as it has been attemping for decades for such outcome. Free trade agreement with the US can bring similar if not bigger economic benefits for turkey than the European customs union

Should sell to Pakistan.

At least 10–15 years ago we should have started investing into the development of our own Air Defense systems the way we do it now. Maybe even long before that we should have started investing in domestic capabilities and build some momentum.

I believe that with the 2,5$ billion we spent on S-400 and with the time we wasted (not even talking about the economic damage we had in recent years because of that- the whole F-35 issue, Lira collapse etc) we could have developed something better for us that is not reliant on anyone else’s will even if it was with some % of foreign Know How. So far everything we produce is of very good quality so I believe that Turkey is more than capable to produce a high performance Air Defense for a good price... I believe in all Turkish engineers and companies.

We have to trust that TSK and politicians did what's necessary given the political circumstances and geopolitical situation.

What's important is whether the US is really interested in getting back together, but it's not going to be like it was before because Turkish defense industry is now growing at a decent pace, but we still lack knowledge and time to create something critical.

Covid-19 is a chance to start from scratch, but more on equal terms. I am not sure the US senate understands that, but we'll just see.

I want to see a solid airdefence system. So I got lots of expectations from Hisar short range air defence system and medium range version.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom