What's new

Taiwan Missile Can Reach Beijing: Report

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Taiwan Missile Can Reach Beijing: Report

TAIPEI - Taiwan has developed a missile capable of reaching Beijing and tested it successfully three years ago, a report said April 27, citing a former defense minister.

Taiwan's military successfully fired the medium-range missile in early 2008 in a secret test attended by then President Chen Shui-bian, said former Defense Minister Michael Tsai in memoirs released this week.

RELATED TOPICS
Asia & Pacific Rim
Air Warfare
Tsai did not specify the range of the missile but the United Daily News said April 27 it was capable of reaching major Chinese cities including Beijing, Chengdu and Shenyang with a 2,000-kilometer (1,250-mile) range.

The newspaper said Tsai is the first official to confirm the island has developed the technology, though local media have previously reported that Taiwan possessed mid-range missile capabilities.

Stephen Young, Washington's then-de facto envoy to Taipei, had expressed concerns over the test, but Tsai assured him that Taiwan would not initiate any attack, the former minister said in the book.

The Chinese military was prepared to go to war should the Beijing-friendly candidate Ma Ying-jeou lose the 2008 president election, Tsai wrote, citing Taiwan and U.S. intelligence.

Tensions with China mounted during Chen's 2000-08 rule over policies promoting Taiwan's independence from the mainland but have eased significantly since Ma became president in May 2008.

But China still refuses to renounce the use of force against Taiwan should it declare formal independence, prompting the island to seek more defensive weapons.

The island has governed itself since it split from the mainland in 1949 at the end of a civil war.

Taiwan Missile Can Reach Beijing: Report - Defense News

I hope their missiles is as good as those on this video:

:P

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope their missiles is as good as those on this video:

:P

haha``shouldnt laugh at them, at the end the day they are chinese as well```

those weapons listed on the report were quite old, lack of good maintenance could be the reasons of missing target, or maybe U.S sold them the water-down versions of MIM-23 Hawk, and sparrow missiles``:P

Last edited by a moderator:
taiwan will never lunch this missile at the mainland. it means loosing US support

I doubt this would be used except in the case of a PRC invasion. It wouldn't stop a full on attack by itself, but it would make the PRC think twice about committing when its own centers of trade, manufacture, and government are in the crosshairs. much like the intention of the DF-21D against the US (except that's against carriers). It serves as a deterrant mainly.

Of course this depends on how many have been built. If they are serious about the missiles then 3 years should be enough time for a good stockpile.

That said it could be Ma killed the program.

Taiwan people better quit hating Chinese people, they are nice and loving people ask any Pakistani. We love you Chinese Bro and sis.

China should respond immediately to the Taiwanese Missile threat by deploying an extra 3000 solid fuel missiles that covers all of Taiwan !!!

Taiwan people better quit hating Chinese people, they are nice and loving people ask any Pakistani. We love you Chinese Bro and sis.

As far as I know, they consider themselves Chinese. Only thing they want is democracy which might somewhat later in this century

What a useless waste of money.

If they launch first, they will 100% die.

If they launch 2nd, they won't launch at all because the missiles will be destroyed on the ground.

If they somehow successfully launch 2nd, guess what happens to their politicians? Don't forget, even their presidential plane taking off in Taipei is in range of our anti air missiles. They're not going anywhere.

If they launch 2nd, they won't launch at all because the missiles will be destroyed on the ground.

If they somehow successfully launch 2nd, guess what happens to their politicians? Don't forget, even their presidential plane taking off in Taipei is in range of our anti air missiles. They're not going anywhere.

I don't think you understand, these missiles are for deterrence.
We all know that these missiles won't stop China, if it decides to take the island back. But what these missiles will do is cause massive damage to China infrastructure maybe even setting the economy back for years. Thus making them think twice before they attack.

and i would not be surprised if USA helped them to build these missiles.

It is political posture and muscle flexing. It will never happen. Instead the west should look at the possibility of this reaching Guam. If one day Taiwan and China reunifies, whatever Taiwan possess will automatically become China's. It is highly unlikely for the two brothers to be fighting one another especially with the present Taiwan government who is pro China.

I don't think you understand, these missiles are for deterrence.
We all know that these missiles won't stop China, if it decides to take the island back. But what these missiles will do is cause massive damage to China infrastructure maybe even setting the economy back for years. Thus making them think twice before they attack.

and one more thing i would not be surprised if USA helped them to build
these missiles.

I think you did not understand me. The question is, will they get to launch at all, or will the missiles be destroyed on the ground? If they launch, will it hit, given China's ABM system? If it hits, are the commanders ready to die by firing squad when they inevitably lose and are unable to escape because even the presidential plane taking off can be shot down by SAMs?

It is political posture and muscle flexing. It will never happen. Instead the west should look at the possibility of this reaching Guam. If one day Taiwan and China reunifys, whatever Taiwan possess will automatically become China's. It is highly unlikely for the two brothers to be fighting one another especially with the present Taiwan government who is pro China.

I'm not worried. Even if its real news, it faces huge military problems. That assumes its real. Taiwan's media is famous for making up fake news and exaggerations.

Back
Top Bottom