What's new

Sweet Little Sixteen

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Historic Falconry:

1. The F-16 was built under an unusual agreement which created a consortium between the US and four NATO countries:Belgium, Denmark, the Netherlands and Norway.

2. The single seat F-16A first flew in December 1976.

3. The 388th TFW, based at Hill AFB, Utah, accepted the Tactical Air Command's first F-16 Fighting Falcon on January 6, 1979.

4. USAF F-16s flew more sorties than any other aircraft during Operation Desert Storm in 1991.

5. USAF F-16s flew suppression of enemy air defence, offensive counter air, defensive counter air, close air support, and forward air controllers during Operation Allied Force in 1998.

F-16 Block Variants:

Block 25:
Block 25 yielded a huge increase in capability. Fitted with a MIL-STD-1760 data bus and weapons interface. it is configured to carry the AIM-120 AMRAAM and its precision munitions include the AGM-65I Maverick. Its much improved AN/APG-68 Radar has greater range, higher resolution and more operating modes than the previous AN/APG-66. Originally fitted with P&W F100 PW-200 engines, the Block 25s are now flying with the upgraded P&W F-100 PW-220E turbofan engine, rated at 23,770 Ibs (105.7kN).

Block 30/32:
Why step from a single block designation to two? to split engine orders between P&W and GE as part of the alternative fighter engine (AFE) program.
F-16s built as Block 30/32 had a common engine bay able to accept either the P&W F-100 PW-220 (a block 32) or the F110 GE-100 engine (a block 30).
The F110 engine generates 5,214 Ib (23.2kN) more thrust than the F100 and requires more air through the inlet. Consequently Block 30D aircraft have a larger air inlet (intake). Such as aircraft is colloquially known as a 'big mouth'.
Armament capability changed little with the Block 30/32 in comparison to the Block 25 except for the AGM-45 Shrike and the AGM-88A HsARM.

Block 40/42:
All weather precision attack capabilities seem to be the norm in 2008. Back in 1989 when the first Block 40/42 F-16Cs rolled off the Fort Worth line, the new versions provided air force sqdns with yet another capability.
Fitted with the LANTRIN (Low Altitude Navigation and Targeting Infra-Red for Night) system. LANTRIN comprises an AN/AAQ-13 navigation pod mounted on the port (left) side air inlet and an AN/AAQ-14 targeting pod, with FLIR and laser designator, on the starboard (right) inlet station. One sure way of identifying a block 40/42 aircraft is the landing light fitted to the nose wheel gear door.
Block 40 aircraft are powered by the GE F110 GE-100 turbofan and the block 42 with the P&W F-100 PW-220.
Fitting the AN/AAQ-14 targeting pod enabled the Block 40/42 aircraft to employ more air-to-ground munitions, including the GBU-10, 12 and 24 Paveway series of laser guided bombs. Block 40/42 aircraft have the V(5) version of the AN/APG-68 radar.

Block 50/52:
Lockheed Martin continues to produce the Block 50/52 F-16 at Fort Worth. Block 50 is the only F-16 version capable of firing the AGM-88 HsARM. Colloquially known as "wild weasels". A Block 50 aircraft is fitted with the AN/ASQ-213 HARM targeting system (HTS), AN/AAS-35V Pave Penny laser ranger and HARM avionics/launcher interface computer (ALIC). a pod carried on either of the engine inlet stations houses HTS and Pave Penny. Block 50 aircraft undertakes all the other roles carried out by arlier versions. the distinction from the rest of the fleet is the hardware carried: the heart of the Block 50s capability is the Modular Mission Computer. A MIL-STD-1760 data bus enables Block 50/52 aircraft to employ the latest precision guided munitions auch as AGM-154 JSOW, GBU-31 and GBU-32 JDAMs and the CBU-103/104/105 Wind Corrected Munitions dispenser. For Air Defence it is armed with the latest versions of AIM-9 Sidewinder and AIM-120 AMRAAMs. target information is fed to the AMRAAM from the AN/APG-68V(5) radar.

Block 52 production continues for nations such as Greece, Poland, Pakistan, Turkey and Morocco.

CCIP
With a mixed fleet of Block 40/42 and Block 50/52 aircraft, the USAF leadership was keen to field core avionics and software in a common configuration implemented under the F-16 CCIP. all upgraded aircraft have Link 16 MIDS, JHMCS, colour multi function display set and a modular mission computer. Link 16 MIDS is a data link system used to share battle space information with other aircraft. JHMCS projects heads-up display information on the pilots visor, allowing him to acquire, lock on and attack a ground target without using the heads-up display.

thanks to AFM, Feburary-09.

If you Park a Lamborghini with F-16, Even the Lamborghini will look something Ordinary when Compared to such a Marvelous and Extra Ordinary Machine THE F-16

Sir,

Nice of you to start this thread. I'm not a pilot nor have I ever sat in the cockpit of a
real F-16. But from the many hours I've spent in the cockpit of an F-16 in flight-simulators (PC-based games), I would like to offer my thoughts purely as a faithful game addict.

The F-16 is not just another jet it is a radically different idea. WHY???... because of the
two distinguishing features of this baby, the single-piece bubble canopy which offers
superior view and thereby providing enhanced 'situational awareness' and the 'side-stick
controller' which was presumably placed so, so as to enable the pilot to be in control even in High-G manouevres(?). Personally, I find that having the joystick in the side makes it much easier to fly any plane and so I wonder why the side-stick controller isn't a regular feature on all aircraft.

In the flight-simulators at least, just these two features are enough to enable one to stay on the top in any fight. On the other side of the coin, I have felt that the F-16 has always been a tough adversary to fight against, with it's frustrating ability to turn at crazy angles and fire it's heat-seeking missiles which get you no matter what!! All in all, this is one great jet. I think some real-life F-16 pilots have already related their experiences on this jet elsewhere on this forum.

F-16 was also the first air craft to have made use of the revolutionary new completely computerized electronic hydraulics system or something of the sort. The jet is designed to be aerodynamically unstable, the computer keeps it performing.

Last edited:
The jet is designed to be aerodynamically unstable, the computer keeps it performing.

Thanks to the advancement of Fly-by-Wire technology. There is an electrical interface between the pilot and the mechanical (hydraulic) systems, i.e., anything the pilot does first goes through a computer, which in turn performs the needed task. This makes the pilots job easier, or as we say in the industry, it is a pilot aid. Aerodynamic unstability makes the jet very maneuverable, whereas the avionics make it very manageable. In fact, the computers make the F-16 one of the easiest planes to fly in the world. Mastering it as a weapons system, however, takes a long time.

There were five manufacturers vying for the award of the Light Weight Fighter program, including Boeing, General Dynamics, Lockheed and Northrop. General Dynamics' F-16 was chosen as it was a more advanced (futuristic) design, especially in the electronics department. Also, many countries, as mentioned above, were interested in replacing their old F-104s, so the F-16 looked like the ideal plane. The Navy went a different route, however, and selected Northrop's YF-17 which later became the F-18 (possibly because they wanted more power - twin engines- and were willing to sacrifice a little maneuverability).

F16 is an amazing machiene, i just had a small question maybe senior members can answer it? Our F16 Block 15, are they getting Tape 3 or Tape 4 for MLU?

why do they refer to it as block 50/52? whats the difference between the 50 and 52?

Cant wait for us to get the new babies !!

More details………
F-16CJ/DJ Block 50D/52D
An unknown number of Block 50/52 aircraft have been delivered to the USAF modified to perform the Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses (SEAD) mission, replacing the F-4G ‘Wild Weasel’ aircraft; these were unofficially designated F-16CJ/DJ. Capable of launching both the AGM-88 High-speed Anti-Radiation Missile (HARM) and AGM-45 Shrike anti-radiation missiles, the F-16CJ/DJ are equipped with a Lockheed Martin AN/AAS-35V Pave Penny laser spot tracker and the Texas Instruments AN/ASQ-213 HARM Targeting System (HTS), with the HTS pod being mounted on the starboard intake hardpoint.

Block 50/52 Plus (or 50/52+)
This variant, which is also known as the "Advanced Block 50/52", was first delivered in April 2003 to the Hellenic Air Force. Its main differences are the addition of conformal fuel tanks (CFTs), APG-68(V9) radar, On-Board Oxygen Generation (OBOGS) system and JHMCS helmet; the Greek Block 52+ aircraft also employ the IRIS-T short range air-to-air missile. All two-seat "Plus" aircraft have the enlarged Avionics Dorsal Spine, which adds 30 cu ft (850 L) to the airframe for more avionics with only small increases in weight and drag. This version is the foundation of F-16E/F Block 60.[citation needed] The first 60 Greek Hellenic Air Force aircraft were operational as of 2004, with a delivery of another 30 "Block 52 Advanced" pending for 2009.

A Polish Air Force F-16D Block 52+
The Block 52+ was also ordered by the Polish Air Force. These aircraft are fitted with the latest avionics (including the ALE-50 Towed Decoy System) and provisions for CFTs. On 9 November 2006, it was unveiled that the Polish F-16s will be named Jastrząb (Hawk). Limited operational readiness will be achieved in 2008 and the final Polish F-16 should be delivered by the end of that year.[citation needed] The Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) also ordered the two-seat version of the Block 52+. Singapore's most recent order consists of an aircraft model rumored to be the exact configuration as Israel’s F-16I (see entry below), but re-designated to avoid sensitivity.[citation needed] The latest D+ models ordered by the RSAF can be noted to have the same antennas, sensor locations and cockpit configurations as that of the F-16I. These fighters are also fitted with DASH-3 helmet-mounted sighting system, 600-gallon tanks, CFTs, AMRAAM, HARM, and laser-guided weapons, fully-configured for long-range strike. The Pakistan Air Force ordered 18 Block 52+ F-16s with an option for 18 more as part of a $5.1 billion arms package. Pakistani F-16s will be equipped with AIM-120C-5 AMRAAM, AIM-9M-8/9, JDAM, Harpoon Block II, JHMCS, CFTs, and possibly IRIS-T missiles.

KF-16
Korean Aerospace Industries (KAI) built 132 examples of the F-16C/D Block 52 under license from Lockheed Martin in the 1990s. The F/A-18 Hornet had originally won the Korea Fighter Program (KFP) competition, but disputes over costs and accusations of bribery led the Korean government to withdraw the award and select the F-16 instead. Designated the KF-16 (which is also sometimes mistakenly applied to the earlier batch of F-16 Block 32 bought by South Korea), the first 12 aircraft were delivered to Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF) in December 1994.[107] Almost 2,500 parts are changed from the original F-16C/D.[107] All KF-16 are capable of launching the AGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missile.

An IAF F-16I Sufa
F-16I Sufa
The F-16I is a two-seat variant of the Block 50/52 Plus developed for the Israeli Defense Force – Air Force (IDF/AF). Israel issued a requirement in September 1997 and selected the F-16 in preference to the F-15 in July 1999. An initial "Peace Marble V" contract was signed on 14 January 2000 with a follow on contract signed on 19 December 2001 for a total procurement of 102 aircraft. The F-16I, which is called Sufa (Storm) by the IDF/AF, first flew on 23 December 2003, and deliveries to the IDF/AF began on 19 February 2004.[108]

The F-16I's most notable difference from the standard Block 50+ is that approximately 50% of the American avionics have been replaced by Israeli-developed avionics (such as the Israeli Aerial Towed Decoy replacing the ALE-50). The addition of Israeli-built autonomous aerial combat maneuvering instrumentation systems enables the training exercises to be conducted without dependence on ground instrumentation systems, and the helmet-mounted sight is also standard equipment. The helmet-mounted sight, HUD, mission computer, presentation computer, and digital map display are made by Elbit Systems of Israel. Furthermore, the F-16I is able to employ Rafael's new Python 5 imaging infrared-guided high-agility air-to-air missile. The F-16I also has the IAI-built removable conformal fuel tanks added to extend its range; removal takes two hours. Key American-sourced systems include the F100-PW-229 engine, which offers commonality with the IDF/AF's F-15Is, and the APG-68(V)9 radar.[31]

F-16E/F
F-16E (single seat) and F-16F (two seat). Originally, the single-seat version of the General Dynamics F-16XL was to have been designated F-16E, with the twin-seat variant designated F-16F. This was sidelined by the Air Force's selection of the competing F-15E Strike Eagle in the Enhanced Tactical Fighter fly-off in 1984. The 'Block 60' designation had also previously been set aside in 1989 for the A-16, but this model was dropped.[109] The F-16E/F designation now belongs to a special version developed especially for the United Arab Emirates, and is sometimes unofficially called the "Desert Falcon".

Block 60
Based on the F-16C/D Block 50/52, it features improved radar and avionics and conformal fuel tanks; it has only been sold to the United Arab Emirates. At one time, this version was incorrectly thought to have been designated "F-16U." A major difference from previous blocks is the Northrop Grumman AN/APG-80 Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar, which gives the airplane the capability to simultaneously track and destroy ground and air threats. The Block 60's General Electric F110-GE-132 engine is a development of the -129 model and is rated at 32,500 lbf (144 kN). The Block 60 allows the carriage of all Block 50/52-compatible weaponry as well as AIM-132 Advanced Short Range Air-to-Air Missile (ASRAAM) and the AGM-84E Standoff Land Attack Missile (SLAM). The CFTs provide an additional 450 US gallon (2,045 L) of fuel, allowing increased range or time on station. This has the added benefit of freeing up hardpoints for weapons that otherwise would have been occupied by underwing fuel tanks. The MIL-STD-1553 data bus is replaced by MIL-STD-1773 fiber-optic data bus which offers a 1000 times increase in data-handling capability.

http://www.answers.com/topic/f-16-fighting-falcon#Operational_history

Last edited:
Source of above: F-16 Fighting Falcon in Encyclopedia
Please quote sources. Someone probably spent a lot of time researching this material.

EDIT: I just realised, this is my 100th post. I'm a Captain now!
I should have written something more significant!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom