What's new

First Block 2 JF-17s under construction in Pakistan

When you know about such arrangement, what was your purpose of asking, " how many blk 2 will be made by CAC in China " ?

In this forum a senior moderator was talking about 300 JF-17 so i was expecting the Blk 2 order to be expanded as blk1 is supposed to be upgraded to blk2 standard in the future.

So all 50 Blk 2 will be Made in Pakistan?

My only purpose was to ask out of curiosity...

In this forum a senior moderator was talking about 300 JF-17 so i was expecting the Blk 2 order to be expanded as blk1 is supposed to be upgraded to blk2 standard in the future.

Check out JF-17 info thread. JF-17 project director interviews about no.of JF-17's and who makes what percentage of JF-17, will satisfy your curiosity

yup all jf-thunder block 1 or 2 will be and making in Pakistan, not in china ....
so now 300 or may be more Jf-17's block 1 or 2 or 3 all will be making in Pakistan IN SHA ALLAH ......

That still small compare to USA, Russia or even China.
Bro the medium size which we need now at this time of Destruction is at least 600 jets.+ upgraded and crew Well Trained.

always complaining complaining blah blah blah blah
why we are not happy, what we have and what we are making.
we have F-16's ... Jf thunder block 1 and 2 ... IN SHA ALLAH soon block 3 or may be 4 ...
don't always complain, always think be positive and always thanks to ALLAH what we have and do hard work for better future ....

don't compare yourself with........ china USA Russia ... these country is better economy, and they always dont do complaining like you are doing ... understand ...

Last edited:
Do not know what the consequences will be with a fleet of 500 JF-17, all blocks included, with strong dedicated squadrons, Blocks 1 and 2 with current radar (a good one), and the next blocks with AESA radars on them. And this besides the other existing and potential platforms like more F-16s and the possibility of the M2K-9 from the UAE.
I know it will take a better economy than now , but Pakistan is heading straight towards that with the Gas pipeline with Iran, the Gwadar port and the massive investments in mega projects jointly with China.
The 500 number is not farfetched, since tiny Usrael has at least 600 modern warplanes in its inventory.
It will take around 10 billion dollars for these 500 JF-17s to be manufactured at an average cost of 18 million each, with accelerated production rates to up to 50 a year, the current potential with the current economy is up to 25 a year, with a better economy this rate can increase gradually to be doubled. When we see that KSA is paying 80 billion dollars for less than 100 warplanes, although they are the most advanced and sophisticated in the world currently as generation 4.5 or 4.75. The 10 billion dollars Pakistan can pay for these JF-17s, spread on 10 to 15 years is not that much and can be afforded if the choice is made, that is around 700 million to a billion Dollars a year, to build an almost (if not) invincible deterrent air force fleet.
And since air superiority is the key to wnning a war, I am all for it, and you Pakistanis?
500 jf 17? ?? is it possible ?? what about the maintenance cost?? can pakistan afford ..US introduced more no of blocks of f 16 due to large no of customers. .. But Pak is sole customer for jf 17. . I don't know how many blocks will be introduced in PAF.. as members speculating about AESA radar etc ... For that structural changes needed... nose is too small ... power req for the AESA radar... can the current engine produce required power...

500 jf 17? ?? is it possible ?? what about the maintenance cost?? can pakistan afford ..US introduced more no of blocks of f 16 due to large no of customers. .. But Pak is sole customer for jf 17. . I don't know how many blocks will be introduced in PAF.. as members speculating about AESA radar etc ... For that structural changes needed... nose is too small ... power req for the AESA radar... can the current engine produce required power...
Think about the replacements too, that is over 250 aircrafts, so maintenance should be OK .
Pakistan is sole customer for JF-17 for now, many countries have showed serious interests and J.V's should be possible.
Pakistan might use some smaller but yet sophisticated AESA radar fitting the actual nose size, since AWACS platforms will play a complementary role for longer distances.
Electrical power can be enhanced by fuel cell technologies IMO, the current engine sends the JF-17 to Mach1.8, when a better engine - hopefully Chinese -, will be available, than they will replace the current Russian ones.

Pretty Legit questions :) ... I think Maintenance cost would not increase because Pakistan is a sole user. If we would look into it and ignore any potential sale and consider Pakistan as only user then maintenance cost may looks an issue but their is another point, and it's about off the shelve purchase of already in use sub systems such as RD-93 and it's new in coming variants all be integrated in Mig as well. Radar is a Variant of KLJ series which is used in J-10 and other sub systems as well. These are only 2 sub systems I have mentioned here. Housing is pretty much big enough to hold a Radar of 1000 to 1200 TR module antenna and other systems as I have read in information pool but question whether system has enough supply to fed in the power makes me skeptical !!! I think the Later versions of RD-93 may equipped with some better power generation or may be Tishan WS-13 may have designed with having in mind of AESA. 2ndly their is another technology around the corner which is GaN's based and heard that France is using it in their Raphel's AESA SUPPOSE to have less power requirement and moderate heat dissipation compared to earlier AESA technology Radars which are based on GaA's.

That's what all I asses by reading threads about various systems.

we are starting from 250 to 300 thunder's and hope fully and IN SHA ALLAH in block 3 we will install AESA radar and will do some major changes ... and hope fully block 2 thunder other country will buy.

we are starting from 250 to 300 thunder's and hope fully and IN SHA ALLAH in block 3 we will install AESA radar and will do some major changes ... and hope fully block 2 thunder other country will buy.

I expect number of JF-17s in PAF will be in 200-250 range ( all blocks) not more. PAF will likely pursue for more used F-16s to replace Mirages in strike role which was earlier out of the equation. Advent of JF-17 Block-2 into service will hopefully result in actual orders from other countries as the Block-2 is the actual fully capable version of the JF-17. PAC Kamra has to free up production capacity to accommodate delivery for other countries if it wants to bag external orders. China doesnt have JF-17 assembly line, for a really large order second assembly line could be created in the new client country and aircrafts assembled from parts made in China and Pakistan. We had the same problem with Al-Khalid, HIT's full capacity being used to meet local orders, which is why despite interest no other client made an order as delivery schedules weren't likely.

I expect number of JF-17s in PAF will be in 200-250 range ( all blocks) not more. PAF will likely pursue for more used F-16s to replace Mirages in strike role which was earlier out of the equation. Advent of JF-17 Block-2 into service will hopefully result in actual orders from other countries as the Block-2 is the actual fully capable version of the JF-17. PAC Kamra has to free up production capacity to accommodate delivery for other countries if it wants to bag external orders. China doesnt have JF-17 assembly line, for a really large order second assembly line could be created in the new client country and aircrafts assembled from parts made in China and Pakistan. We had the same problem with Al-Khalid, HIT's full capacity being used to meet local orders, which is why despite interest no other client made an order as delivery schedules weren't likely.

yes dear that things i was saying ... may be like 250 or 300 thunder in all blocks ... but hopefully block 2 result born interest to other countries, and once countries interest will show to PAF then we can manage and include china for assembly thunder lines.
but block 3 must be with AESA system ... then IN SHA ALLAH block 3 will born more interest to other countries ...

No problem your opinion heard, do understand this time no arab, iranian or some other air force is going to send their inventory to help us out. Whatever PAF has would be used to its fullest potential in various roles/scenarios against anything IAF sends across the border.
From what I can gather, the Arabs never have, the only ones to try were the Jordanians. PAF has always been alone, it will always be alone.

From what I can gather, the Arabs never have, the only ones to try were the Jordanians. PAF has always been alone, it will always be alone.

Exactly that is why whatever PAF has it would be used to its fullest against opponent. It is not going to be fulcrums are coming scramble Thunder, Jaguars are coming scramble Mirages.

Fuel consumption, cost of operation, etc should all be considered when talking about deploying an air force. India has a large fleet, but they cannot afford to deploy them at the same time, it would bankrupt India within days. A few dozen at most are deployed at any given time, and considering Pakistan's and India's previous air campaigns, it may not even be that much.

The JF-17 would get blown out of the sky against the Su-30s, so your argument that the thunder is meant to be a deterrent against the Sukhois is unrealistic. The F-16s are meant to take care of the high tech end, thus counter India's advanced fleet, and the JF-17 is meant to take care of the low tech end, thus counter India's low tech fleet. That is why Pakistan Air Force has a hi-lo doctrine.
And India cannot deploy all its jets against you coz of fear of two front war.So 700 jets suddenly becomes say 350 or 400 which can be neutralised by Pakistan.So back to status quo.

And India cannot deploy all its jets against you coz of fear of two front war.So 700 jets suddenly becomes say 350 or 400 which can be neutralised by Pakistan.So back to status quo.
No air force can deploy hundreds of fighters at the same time, it's just not possible; even during war, a nation would be hard pressed. A few dozen will go into the air, and then another dozen, and then another...etc. Having a hundred fighters doesn't equal being able to deploy a hundred fighters simultaneously.

It is not true, IAF has comprehensive plans to use most of its assets to its full capacity. It is the advantages of having large fighters in the force and tankers. It is very well displayed in large scale war game 'iron fist' where MKIs from North eastern sectors participated directly flying from there.

Ye
No air force can deploy hundreds of fighters at the same time, it's just not possible; even during war, a nation would be hard pressed. A few dozen will go into the air, and then another dozen, and then another...etc. Having a hundred fighters doesn't equal being able to deploy a hundred fighters simultaneously.
yeah i understand.MY point is when we talk of sheer numbers we forget India has chinese threat to counter which is espoused by the indian defence establishment.

Back
Top Bottom