What's new

Size of the Turkish Armed Forces

I'm thinking the same thing; Conscription is old-school now...at any rate a smaller, better drilled, considerably better motivated & much better armed force would probably do more damage to the Enemy than a larger Conscript army would - I think ! :unsure:
Yes and to the own population to?more damage?incase they have to go against the civil population?

I'm sorry I don't quite follow what you're saying ! :unsure:
Well a full professional army would have no problem killing the own people incase of revolts so big that the police cant handle it.
People could lose their respect for the Armed Forces when their sons are not in it,the Armed forces could become an enemy.
The love for the Armed Forces would be reduced or gone,just like it is in Western Europe.
There would be no more ''our sons'',at least not as much as it is now.
Professionals plus Conscripts:tup:
What you think?

My grand parents always take very esteemed about Turkish military. They learnt their craft by the army. They were electric engineers and didn't have formal education since they had to leave school at early age. My father also went to military while back. It was just for one month and he barely held a gun. I wish soldiers got to shoot more. Just learn the essentials. Turkey doesn't need such large standing army. Only population that is capable of being a soldier and having the skills. In Turkey most people don't know how to shoot how regular american knows how to shoot. I wish Turkey also had foreign legion the same way France has but I think it is too early for that. Maybe in the far future it might be option to have foreign legion for specific needs.

Well a full professional army would have no problem killing the own people incase of revolts so big that the police cant handle it.
People could lose their respect for the Armed Forces when their sons are not in it,the Armed forces could become an enemy.
The love for the Armed Forces would be reduced or gone,just like it is in Western Europe.
There would be no more ''our sons'',at least not as much as it is now.
Professionals plus Conscripts:tup:
What you think?

I don't think thats a very accurate reading of what Professional Forces are ! :unsure:

A conscript is, at the end of the day, someone who joined the army for a year....a year & a half at most whereas a professional soldier is someone who has not only spent the better part of those 1-2 years in a military academy being trained for the task of soldering but also has the rest of his military career in front of him to be shaped up into a proper fighting machine - There really is no comparison between the two, I think !

And why would the people loose respect of the Armed Forces when they - the Professional Soldiers - are from amongst them as well....they are their own sons & daughters - don't you think ?

I think the love for one's armed forces is linked to a sense of nationalism more than anything else....most Europeans are conscious of them being French or German or Spaniards but I don't know whether they are as filled with pride about their Nationalities as a Nationalist is.

I mean take the example of Pakistan - God knows we've got a lot of problems - but the average Pakistani is fiercely proud of being a Pakistani & because of that, despite having a fully voluntary force, our armed forces are fast approaching the 1.5 million men mark & everyone has enormous love & respect for our soldiers because the notion of martyrdom resonates very strongly with the Army & the Pakistani People - They sacrifice their today for our tomorrow - How can we not love our soldiers ?

I don't think thats a very accurate reading of what Professional Forces are ! :unsure:

A conscript is, at the end of the day, someone who joined the army for a year....a year & a half at most whereas a professional soldier is someone who has not only spent the better part of those 1-2 years in a military academy being trained for the task of soldering but also has the rest of his military career in front of him to be shaped up into a proper fighting machine - There really is no comparison between the two, I think !

And why would the people loose respect of the Armed Forces when they - the Professional Soldiers - are from amongst them as well....they are their own sons & daughters - don't you think ?

I think the love for one's armed forces is linked to a sense of nationalism more than anything else....most Europeans are conscious of them being French or German or Spaniards but I don't know whether they are as filled with pride about their Nationalities as a Nationalist is.

I mean take the example of Pakistan - God knows we've got a lot of problems - but the average Pakistani is fiercely proud of being a Pakistani & because of that, despite having a fully voluntary force, our armed forces are fast approaching the 1.5 million men mark & everyone has enormous love & respect for our soldiers because the notion of martyrdom resonates very strongly with the Army & the Pakistani People - They sacrifice their today for our tomorrow - How can we not love our soldiers ?
Not comparable,both armed forces.

What do you mean ? :unsure:
You have a voluntary army,how many Turks would do that you think?
Evry Turk would become a soldier in war time,but not in peace time.
Why do you think when they tried to attract staff for the professional army,only 10/20k or so came?

I thought that was because conditions were sh.tty.

Military is a not a easy job, especially compared to Police, they should be given good conditions and most importantly a developing career change(getting ranks should be benefiting)

11.jpg

• Total Size of Turkish Armed Forces is 671,275.
  • Army, Navy, and Airforce = 478,824
  • Jandarma = 187,353
  • Coast Guard = 5,098
  • 35% of the Military is Professional

No Sir size always matters

It really is not. The current program is to decrease the number of military personnel. A couple years ago it was more than 900,000. There are 192,000 Gendarmerie and Coast Guard under the jurisdiction of Ministry of Interior, at peacetime now. Now it is 479,000 active duty military personnel. which is a very descent number for Turkey considering the firepower we have. Not more not less.

Back
Top Bottom