What's new

Separatist Insurgencies in India - News and Discussions.

True, the header is misleading. But the article does say that:

That's the danger the IAF seems to fear.

come on mate how can these guys pose any threat to the airforce..they can do their recons..how would they come under fire ?

BBC News - India reviews anti-Maoist policy

Monday's blast blew the bus to pieces

India's government is reviewing its strategy for fighting Maoist rebels after a landmine attack in Chhattisgarh state killed more than 30 people.

Most of those killed in Monday's blast, which destroyed a bus, were civilians, and the government is under pressure to take a tougher line against the rebels.

Home Minister P Chidamabaram wants a larger mandate, thought to include the use of air power to fight the Maoists.

Thousands have died in the rebels' decades-long fight against the state.

Meanwhile, a two-day strike called by the rebels in protest at an offensive against them is affecting life in parts of central and eastern India.

In Jharkhand, transport has been disrupted and many shops and banks closed. Security on trains has been tightened to avoid possible attacks.

Officials in West Bengal state say police reinforcements have been deployed in parts of Midnapore district, a Maoist stronghold.

'Barbarity'

Monday's attack on the bus in Chhattisgarh state's Dantewada district has prompted widespread anger in India, says the BBC's Chris Morris in Delhi.

Dantewada was the scene of the rebels' deadliest attack, when 75 paramilitary troops and their driver were killed last month.

In the past, the Maoists have warned civilian bus companies not to transport local police or members of the security forces.

In this incident it appears that Maoist supporters saw that armed police were on board the bus, and an attack was organised extremely quickly.

Our correspondent says it shows how powerful the Maoists have become in remote regions like the forests of southern Chhattisgarh. The government says it also demonstrates their barbarity.

Following the attack, the home minister said he would request wider powers to deal with the rebels.

"I took to the cabinet committee the case for a larger mandate. I was given a limited mandate. Now we will go back to the cabinet committee to revisit that mandate," Mr Chidambaram told the NDTV channel.

He said the chief ministers of some of the worst-affected states had asked for air power to be used against the rebels - a measure that the government has so far refused to sanction.

Our correspondent says the Defence Ministry does not want the armed forces involved in an internal security issue, however serious the threat may be.

At the moment the campaign is in the hands of local and federal paramilitary police forces.

'Rights of the poor'

The government's offensive - widely referred to as "Operation Green Hunt" began last October.

It involves 50,000 trooops and is taking place across five states - West Bengal, Jharkhand, Bihar, Orissa and Chhattisgarh.

The Maoists, also known as Naxalites, say they are fighting for the rights of rural poor who have been neglected by the government for decades.

But correspondents say support has been slipping away from the rebels, particularly after last month's attack.

The Maoist insurgency has been described by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as the country's biggest internal security threat.

ministers in Delhi have always accepted that there is a need to tackle the root causes of the rebellion, such as poverty and the absence of effective local government.

come on mate how can these guys pose any threat to the airforce..they can do their recons..how would they come under fire ?

I am not an expert; from what I have read the IAF fear that their logistical supply line could come under ground fire. That means copters and transport planes.

Indian copters have already been fired at in some places - IIRC an enlisted ranker in the IAF has died some time ago.

In which case, at some point, the IAF may have to fire back to protect itself.

Check this link - it does not feel like random people firing randomly at copters:

75 jawans killed in Naxal ambush in Chhattisgarh: India Today - Latest Breaking News from India, World, Business, Cricket, Sports, Bollywood.

From there to an ever escalating response leading up to fighter planes sounds way out there, but you never know, and that's how they (IAF) seem to be thinking anyway (from this and other stories)

Also, I believe that one issue the IAF faces is that some of these areas are heavily forested, and Naxals use this to their advantage.

So recons may have limited effectiveness in some cases.

That's the danger the IAF seems to fear.

That's not the IAF's fear, that's the author of the article voicing the supposed fears of unnamed & named political leaders. The IAF has been given permission to fire back in self defence but do you actually believe they will use jets for surveillance and even if they did do that, how on earth are the maoists going to attack them? This was actually mentioned in discussions featuring low level flying which means that they are discussing helicopters and mainly for logistics. No self defence is involved if helicopter gunships were being sought to be used and so far the government seems to be discussing more mobility for ground forces using air assets & not their firepower directly.

Guys we need to attack the Maoism rather than maoist. if we kept on hunting maoists they will never end one will 2 will take there place. the operation needs to handled as the khalistan movement.

Guys we need to attack the Maoism rather than maoist. if we kept on hunting maoists they will never end one will 2 will take there place. the operation needs to handled as the khalistan movement.

Mate no offence but say that to even a patriotic indian sikh and they'll break your face..atleast the ones i know. The operation itself is one of the darkest chapters in Indian history, im pretty sure thats one mistake your govt wont repeat again

we need able leader like late YSR of Andhra to crush maoism..Ministers like Shibu soren and Mamta are using it for their political milage..I am sure that Mamta is the one who is opposing it..more attacks on villagers means more hatred towards government and she can win the election next time..Advanced Aircrafts like Su-30 can help in survilance..by the help of this aircraft they found the crashed helicopter of YSR in Andhra..

Mate no offence but say that to even a patriotic indian sikh and they'll break your face..atleast the ones i know. The operation itself is one of the darkest chapters in Indian history, im pretty sure thats one mistake your govt wont repeat again

The darkest chapters to most non-Khalistani minded Sikhs would have been "Operation Bluestar" in the Golden Temple complex & the massacres after the death of Mrs. Gandhi. Those are two dark spots in Indian history not the actual crushing of the Khalistani movement which was probably a big relief for most Sikhs. The Khalistani movement had more traction outside of Punjab ( especially in Canada) than it ever had within. It was finally crushed by the state police force (comprising mainly Sikhs) much after it lost all local support.

Canada is probably the only place on earth where Khalistan is still mentioned now. You would probably get a very skewed impression if you lived there.

IAF wouldnt use jet power, Its more than enough to Use attack helicopters, but the Problem is attitude, Its not fair to Get Military into this when there are lot of paramilitary Troops present.....

IAF can finish it within days, but civilian casualties cannot be averted

The darkest chapters to most non-Khalistani minded Sikhs would have been "Operation Bluestar" in the Golden Temple complex & the massacres after the death of Mrs. Gandhi. The Khalistani movement had more traction outside of Punjab ( especially in Canada) than it ever had within. It was finally crushed by the state police force (comprising mainly Sikhs) much after it lost all local support.

Canada is probably the only place on earth where Khalistan is still mentioned now. You would probably get a very skewed impression if you lived there.

I know what your talking about, and yes among canadian sikhs it is still a movement. Vancouver they had the flags and all even their own currency going for some reason

But anyways The operation as a whole and Golden-temple massacre in specific, i wouldnt mention them as examples here or anywhere

Operation in the golden temple was a mistake not the entire operation. the riots was a mistake but not the killing of the khalistani fighters. we would have had a troubled punjab if we would have not done that. hope this helps.

I know what your talking about, and yes among canadian sikhs it is still a movement. Vancouver they had the flags and all even their own currency going for some reason

But anyways The operation as a whole and Golden-temple massacre in specific, i wouldnt mention them as examples here or anywhere

Boss if you will interact with Khalistan supporters back in Canada how will you expect them to support the operation. will people from Taliban say that the armed operation from Pakistan army was justified?

Im not the one who needs help mate, ive grown up with sikhs here in canada and while i know they dont represent the majority..the fact is that even the sikhs in punjab, the ones who arent urbanised still hold grudge for that "entire" operation..and if you wanna find out just go there and ask them :D

hope that helps

Source: Been to the indian punjab

Im not the one who needs help mate, ive grown up with sikhs here in canada and while i know they dont represent the majority..the fact is that even the sikhs in punjab, the ones who arent urbanised still hold grudge for that "entire" operation..and if you wanna find out just go there and ask them :D

hope that helps

still to find such cases here back in india. Sikhs are not just in punjab but can be found all over India especially in Delhi. As resident of Delhi i have to interact with them almost on the daily basis. No such feeling is present but yes people are concerned for the delays in justice but at the same time people give a crap about the Khalistan stuff

Source: living in India for 26 years now

As far as maoist are concerned they need to be shot straight in head the way it was done for the Khalistan fighters. But at the same time we need to hit the root of the ideology. It is more of political fiasco rather than anything else. Government is resilient to continue with the vote bank.

Back
Top Bottom