What's new

Saudi Arabia Fourth Largest Defence Spender In 2013

Saudi Arabia Fourth Largest Defence Spender In 2013

The report estimated Saudi Arabia was spending $59.6 billion, a rise of 8.6 per cent.

Saudi Arabia beat Britain to become the world’s fourth largest defence spender in 2013, a report said on Wednesday, as Western cuts and Asian and Middle Eastern growth shift the global balance of military power.

London’s International Institute for Strategic Studies said the United States remains by far the world’s pre-eminent military power, spending some $600 billion Last year, some 38 per cent of the global total.

Overall global defence spending probably fell marginally in 2013, it said, but increased dramatically in Asia and the Middle East. China’s military expenditure had increased by some 40 per cent since 2010, raising it to an estimated $112 billion.

That in itself is helping spark a wider Asian arms race, the report said, with Japan, South Korea, Vietnam and others also ramping up spending.

Despite a U.S. “pivot” to reallocate military forces to Asia, analysts say some countries – particularly Japan, locked in growing confrontation with Beijing over disputed maritime boundaries – worry that Washington might fail to back them in any conflict. Overall, Asian military spending in 2013 was 11.6 per cent higher than in 2010, it said.

In the Middle East, Gulf Arab state worries over Iran – as well as domestic discontent in the aftermath of the “Arab Spring” – has prompted Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) members to significantly raise their spending.

“The West still spent over half of global defence outlays in 2013 (but) this is down from two thirds… in 2010,” IISS Director-General John Chipman told a press briefing. “Emerging economies continue to ramp up their defence spending levels.”

Russia increased its defence spending to some $68.2 billion, up 30 per cent from 2010 and now accounting for roughly a quarter of all European defence expenditure.

The report estimated Saudi Arabia was spending $59.6 billion – a figure researchers said was extremely conservative – pushing it above Britain at $57 billion or France at $52.4 billion. Saudi spending increased 8.6 percent in the 2012-13 period, it said.

Nevertheless, one of the central reasons for Saudi Arabia outpacing Britain was a shift in exchange rates, researchers said, meaning this could be reversed in 2014.

Of the top global spenders by percentage of gross domestic product, the vast majority were in the Middle East – Oman, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Bahrain, Libya, Algeria, Yemen and Jordan.

If Chinese military spending continues to increase at the current pace, IISS researchers estimate it may overtake that of the United States sometime in the 2030s. But it would likely take longer to match Washington’s overall military capabilities, the IISS said.

Saudi Arabia Fourth Largest Defence Spender In 2013 » Gulf Business

Saudi Arabia is one of the top spender of the defense in the world. Though Saudi Arabia is lacking a structures system of the military. Which the monarchy in Saudi Arabia is considered a threat to the kingdom.
Anyway, here is some details of Saudia Arabia buying defense arms from Germany.

Germany will sell Saudi Arabia 100 war ships

All the negativity in the previous comments are only out of jealousy. People think that Saudi Arabia is so rich yet it has "little" to show for. Which is ignorant especially if you compare KSA with other oil rich countries like Iraq, Iran, Venezuela ..etc which are much poorer. KSA clearly has been doing something right. I hope they will focus more on R&D and education and get rid of Wahabism.

Saudi Arabia is one of the top spender of the defense in the world. Though Saudi Arabia is lacking a structures system of the military. Which the monarchy in Saudi Arabia is considered a threat to the kingdom.
Anyway, here is some details of Saudia Arabia buying defense arms from Germany.

Germany will sell Saudi Arabia 100 war ships

I couldn't understand what you're trying to say.

If a system of governance is viewed as such, then the very same system will have to come up with a doctrine where it can guarantee the country's security i.e. self-defensive measures such as maintaining a self-defensive air superiority, securing its boarders, conducting patrol on daily basis and such.

All the negativity in the previous comments are only out of jealousy. People think that Saudi Arabia is so rich yet it has "little" to show for. Which is ignorant especially if you compare KSA with other oil rich countries like Iraq, Iran, Venezuela ..etc which are much poorer. KSA clearly has been doing something right. I hope they will focus more on R&D and education and get rid of Wahabism.

Wahhabism is a myth.

It is Salafistic Islam.

Not until the Mullah get toppled.
listen what have your kings and thousands of princes done. they have robbed the people of weath. Kept people and entire population illiterate deliberately. Just encouraged narrow minded view of everything.
these titles and princes should be overthrown and replaced by legitimate leadership which is of the people and for the people. all those palaces and excesses across the board. at least a camel is better than the kings that are occupying the 'royal' seat. who gives them these rights. my finger to your kings and princes and yes, they chose to be honory by putting these false titles of custodians etc. god is the custodian not man.

Saudi know Saudi better, may be they have reason not to provide best tech weapon to their army. Most probably Royals smell mutiny in armed force columns ..Or Suadi youngster are not interested to become foot soldiers ..non AC environment.
Few winters back ask Kuwati cab driver, how the summer in Kuwait, He replied I don't know, I am usually in UK...

Congrats to Saudi Arabia truly is an inspiring story from being a land that had many different tribes to a unified state that has completely transformed as one of the major leaders in the world , I'm sad at the same time that my country still hasn't flourished

It doesn't matter how much you spend. the important part is the result which is hopeless. Poor money

It doesn't matter how much you spend. the important part is the result which is hopeless. Poor money

Farsi, the result is that we have one of the most powerful armies in the world and a army that is only going to grow in strength by each year and a military that will ultimately become self-sufficeint. That combined with our endless wealth and rapidly growing economy that happens to be in the top 20 in the world already is a pretty damn good position.

Nobody cares about your opinion anyway. I would worry about fixing the mess that is Iran before meddling or making dumb statements on issues that you have no business in.

Farsi, the result is that we have one of the most powerful armies in the world and a army that is only going to grow in strength by each year and a military that will ultimately become self-sufficeint. That combined with our endless wealth and rapidly growing economy that happens to be in the top 20 in the world already is a pretty damn good position.

Nobody cares about your opinion anyway. I would worry about fixing the mess that is Iran before meddling or making dumb statements on issues that you have no business in.
Yeah yeah sure you are all that. Be hopeful

Yeah yeah sure you are all that. Be hopeful

That's what the reality is telling and shows for all to see. That you have a time swallowing that is not my problem. As I said jog along and learn how to write more than your usual dumb one-liners. Don't act like a waste of oxygen.

If the Saudis aren't buying all this equipment for deterrence, I can't see for which reason else. I mean you have Syria, which the Saudis consider to be their number one foreign policy priority, and reportedly even lobbied in France, Britain and the US to strike Syria in order to get rid of Assad, which they couldn't or wouldn't do it themselves.

Another thing, I can't see any significant development when it comes to self-sufficiency. The Saudis almost spend as much as the Russians on equipment, but the significant difference is that the Russians have their own industry, and the Saudis not.

listen what have your kings and thousands of princes done. they have robbed the people of weath.

Coming from a South African, who's country doesn't even pay their own workers, on strikes on daily basis. I find your comments very LoLish. :lol:

BBC News - South African platinum workers strike over pay

This is how the State treats people working other countries, let alone its own people.

When South Africa learns how to treat its people, we might talk about KSA.

Kept people and entire population illiterate deliberately

Not as much as leaving people living in cages, like animals.

Just encouraged narrow minded view of everything.

Is that the reason why South Africa's crime rate has skyrocketed over the last ten years :woot:

these titles and princes should be overthrown and replaced by legitimate leadership which is of the people and for the people

Its people are left to decide which is which.

all those palaces and excesses across the board. at least a camel is better than the kings that are occupying the 'royal' seat

When the South African nationals are treated in the same way we treat our camels, then you might be able to run your mouth.

who gives them these rights. my finger to your kings and princes and yes, they chose to be honory by putting these false titles of custodians etc. god is the custodian not man.

With all due respect, but a Saudi spit on the floor worths entire a nation of your kin and kind.

listen what have your kings and thousands of princes done. they have robbed the people of weath. Kept people and entire population illiterate deliberately. Just encouraged narrow minded view of everything.
these titles and princes should be overthrown and replaced by legitimate leadership which is of the people and for the people. all those palaces and excesses across the board. at least a camel is better than the kings that are occupying the 'royal' seat. who gives them these rights. my finger to your kings and princes and yes, they chose to be honory by putting these false titles of custodians etc. god is the custodian not man.

Last edited:
That's what the reality is telling and shows for all to see. That you have a time swallowing that is not my problem. As I said jog along and learn how to write more than your usual dumb one-liners. Don't act like a waste of oxygen.
dude i said you are all that, what is your problem then? looks like even yourself don't believe in what you say

Back
Top Bottom