What's new

Saudi Arabia expresses interest in JF-17 co-production with Pakistan.

Arabs have purchased military equipment from Pakistan before and the border didn't erupt . Specially the Saudis have been transferred technological know-how of ballistic missiles . Whats different in this case ?

Timing and nature. Correct me if I am wrong, most exports were trainers and small arms. JF-17 for SA has only one target. Iran. Transfer of technical know how between SA and Pakistan, I believe if it happened is not public news.

That's exactly what I want you to understand. Pakistan making 70% avionics and 59 pc others after getting TOT from chinese doesn't make the aircraft less chinese,

Correction. Pakistan owns 100% avionics rights but out of those 100%, we are producing 70%. Likewise, we own 58% of airframe rights. Considering that, the greater share of JF-17's ownership is with Pakistan.

until we see something concrete happening this news is just bullshit, Saudi are trying to piss off US of A and thats all

A sale to SaudiArabia will be a big boost to JF-17 program. Imagine the possibility with other middle east countries following suite.

Imagine the possibility of US pressure and European kick-backs and commissions (in arms purchases) scuttling the deal.:mad:

Have Saudis ever gone beyond the stage of testing with Pakistani arms?
Has there been any purchase?

All I hear is a stake in Nuclear Weapons (because they picked up the tab).
There were also some rumours of Saudi interested in Pakistani Ballistic Missiles. I don't know if there is any truth in that.

Surprising, given that Saudi has many other options.

Yes , the Saudis have many other options but they all have strings attached and Saudis are sick and tired of those conditional purchases. This deal gives them a no strings attached package and Transfer of Technology and self reliance that KSA appreciates from a Strategic Partner like Pakistan.

Saudi Arabia will be eying on some advanced weapon systems we produce and which it cannot get from anybody. I am feeling Ra'ad would be one of the items of interest and if this is the case, they need a Pakistani Platform. Now JFT is Open Architecture and can integrate any weapon system which is in their inventory already. Procuring non-American tech is also a plausible idea which would give Saudi Arabia diversity of equipment.

Have Saudis ever gone beyond the stage of testing with Pakistani arms?
Has there been any purchase?

Yes super mushshak for example, not to forget other small arms besides the training and other services that we have given from time to time.

If KSA become interested in acquiring JF-17s for its forces then an advance variant may be possible to be developed for them because western companies will not hesitate to get this opportunity and may offer advance avionics, engine or even composite material to reduce weight and making it stealthy. It may cost around 30 to 35 mil a piece but it will become 4.5+ gen fighter with that kind of input and PAF may be able to get few for its self which will help a lot specially in air defense.

One important thing is that JF-17 is also capable to carry nuclear weapons without any restrictions which may attract KSA, as there were news in media that KSA is interested in acquiring nukes, it also offer integration of weapons which user wanted so more options then other plane KSA have.

I have posted above post in following thread which seems to be way forward.

Saudi Air Force delegation visits JF-17 factory. | Page 12

The fact that the Saudis are not satisfied with 20 Pakistani Mushak's ordered in 2003 is shown by the fact that Saudis have ordered 55 Swiss built trainers instead of more Mushak's.

What fact, give us authentic sources or face ban, There is another fact most of mushark's are gifted by musharraf so satisfy or not question doesn't arise, mushark is for basic training AFAIK those who purchased mushark are more than satisfied due to its excellent handling and ease of learning. Do you know how many types of trainers EAF operates.

@Oscar, thread really needs to be cleaned of unwanted members.

Last edited:
Wrong .. the point I want to make is;
Want the planes .. come and make them with us for your self.
You will learn some thing, we will learn some thing.
Pakistan need is Finance, KSA will Finance the projects and may be Pakistan Agree to TOT of JF17.

Pakistan need is Finance, KSA will Finance the projects and may be Pakistan Agree to TOT of JF17.

True, but its not just finance its influence too, with KSA in the program they can bring western tech for JF-17 evolving it to 4.5+gen fighter equal or better than F-16V or F-16 block60 which they were denied, for Pakistan if this happen then we will be able to have a plane which could handle most of threats posed by our enemy.

Back
Top Bottom