What's new

Saudi Arabia expresses interest in JF-17 co-production with Pakistan.

Saudi eyeing Pakistan’s JF-17 fighter jet, modeled from U.S. F-16 | World Tribune
Saudi eyeing Pakistan’s JF-17 fighter jet, modeled from U.S. F-16
ABU DHABI — Saudi Arabia has been examining the prospect of becoming a partner in Pakistan’s fighter jet program.Officials said the Saudi Defense Ministry has been reviewing Pakistan’s JF-17 fighter jet program.

Jf-17-Thunder-300x199.jpg

The officials said representatives of the ministry as well as the Royal Saudi Air Force were examining the feasibility of procuring JF-17 as part of cooperation with Islamabad.“This project could provide the kingdom with technology that could be used in future projects,” an official said.On Jan. 20, Saudi Deputy Defense Minister Prince Salman Bin Sultan visited Pakistan and toured the JF-17 project, modeled after the U.S.-origin F-16 and which entered production in late 2013. Salman, hosted by Pakistani Chief of Staff Gen. Raheel Sharif, was said to have focused on enhanced defense cooperation, including training and an exchange of expertise.“During the meeting, matters of mutual interest, regional security and enhanced bilateral defense collaboration including training exchange program were discussed,” an official statement said.

Pakistan has been deemed the leading strategic ally of Saudi Arabia.Western diplomats said Pakistan, with assistance from China, has provided ballistic missiles and non-conventional weapons expertise to the GulfCooperation Council kingdom.Officials said Pakistan has offered to supply the Saudi military with aircraft, main battle tanks and submarines. They said the offer included technology transfer as well as co-production in Saudi Arabia.“The expectation is that Saudi purchases from Pakistan will increase over the coming year,” the official said.

@Aeronaut @BATMAN @Imran Khan @chauvunist @mafiya @Zarvan @Yzd Khalifa @Irfan Baloch

Saudi eyeing Pakistan’s JF-17 fighter jet, modeled from U.S. F-16 | World Tribune

Last edited by a moderator:
ABU DHABI — Saudi Arabia has been examining the prospect of becoming a partner in Pakistan’s fighter jet program.Officials said the Saudi Defense Ministry has been reviewing Pakistan’s JF-17 fighter jet program.

The officials said representatives of the ministry as well as the Royal Saudi Air Force were examining the feasibility of procuring JF-17 as part of cooperation with Islamabad.“This project could provide the kingdom with technology that could be used in future projects,” an official said.On Jan. 20, Saudi Deputy Defense Minister Prince Salman Bin Sultan visited Pakistan and toured the JF-17 project, modeled after the U.S.-origin F-16 and which entered production in late 2013. Salman, hosted by Pakistani Chief of Staff Gen. Raheel Sharif, was said to have focused on enhanced defense cooperation, including training and an exchange of expertise.“During the meeting, matters of mutual interest, regional security and enhanced bilateral defense collaboration including training exchange program were discussed,” an official statement said.

Pakistan has been deemed the leading strategic ally of Saudi Arabia.Western diplomats said Pakistan, with assistance from China, has provided ballistic missiles and non-conventional weapons expertise to the GulfCooperation Council kingdom.Officials said Pakistan has offered to supply the Saudi military with aircraft, main battle tanks and submarines. They said the offer included technology transfer as well as co-production in Saudi Arabia.“The expectation is that Saudi purchases from Pakistan will increase over the coming year,” the official said.

@Aeronaut @BATMAN @Imran Khan @chauvunist @mafiya @Zarvan @Yzd Khalifa @Irfan Baloch

--

Please post source next time.

I don't personally believe this at all. Until I actually see them signing a deal, these are just empty promises, all of which we've heard before. Pakistani officials have said that they expect to sell around 7 fighters this year, but with no serious customers in sight, the fighter can be considered an export failure.

Note that I'm not insulting the fighter; the JF-17 is an excellent fighter for it's price, but with no sales in sight, who're we fooling with our fanboyism?

--

Please post source next time.

I don't personally believe this at all. Until I actually see them signing a deal, these are just empty promises, all of which we've heard before. Pakistani officials have said that they expect to sell around 7 fighters this year, but with no serious customers in sight, the fighter can be considered an export failure.

Note that I'm not insulting the fighter; the JF-17 is an excellent fighter for it's price, but with no sales in sight, who're we fooling with our fanboyism?

We are just having a debate, that is precisely why we have a forum. Deal materializes or not, is another issue. We are here to discuss and share ideas, no 'isms' involved here.

I think after getting a cold shoulder on Eurofighter inhouse production, saudia is looking for other reliable prospects.

We are just having a debate, that is precisely why we have a forum. Deal materializes or not, is another issue. We are here to discuss and share ideas, no 'isms' involved here.

I agree, which is why I posted my honest views. I simply disagree that we should make anything out of this, and believe that the Saudi's are actually interested in buying the fighters. We've still not sold our AK MBT to anyone, including the Saudis who agreed to buy them, fighters are much harder sell.

@Arabian Legend

Let it be a win win - we ought to develop weapons programs together. There will be no losers in this cooperation, only winners. When Pakistan's R&D develops further, it directly benefits KSA, when KSA joins in a program in Pakistan, it gets a lions share of the technology which it can use for its own programs, if it wishes to start some in the future.

Potential areas for joint research and development are following in my opinion.

• JF-17 Thunder - Block - III
  • Shahpar UAV
  • Burraq UCAV
  • Al-Khalid Block-II + Depleted Uranium rounds.
  • Armored vehicles
  • Anti armor weapons - Further development of Baktar Shikans.
  • MTCR compliant version of Babur
  • Laser guided air dropped munitions
  • MBRLs
  • Soldier's gear, communications and small arms
  • Naval technology

I think after getting a cold shoulder on Eurofighter inhouse production, saudia is looking for other reliable prospects.

EF and JFT are not on the same technological page, do we agree?

Building KSA's industrial capacity will benefit us too, am i wrong?

Last edited:
@Arabian Legend

Let it be a win win - we ought to develop weapons programs together. There will be no losers in this cooperation, only winners. When Pakistan's R&D develops further, it directly benefits KSA, when KSA joins in a program in Pakistan, it gets a lions share of the technology which it can use for its own programs, if it wishes to start some in the future.

• Shahpar UAV
  • Burraq UCAV
  • Armored vehicles
  • MBRLs
  • Naval technology

That's what my post meant. Saudi's are, should I say, desperate, to gain a capability of manufacturing jets at home. Hopes of "assembling" euro fighter was a step towards the realization of that goal, but they couldn't achieve it.

Now they are looking in to JF-17 and seems pretty serious. What JF-17 would give them, not a technological edge, not a assembly option, but "manufacturing" jet from scratch and that's what they want. A manpower be able to manufacture jets designed by themselves or co-designed in saudia it self in distant future

That's what my post meant. Saudi's are, should I say, desperate, to gain a capability of manufacturing jets at home. Hopes of "assembling" euro fighter was a step towards the realization of that goal, but they couldn't achieved it.

Now they are looking in to JF-17 and seems pretty serious. What JF-17 would give them, not a technological edge, not a assembly option, but a "manufacturing" jet from scratch and that's what they want.

Which is a plus if you ask me. KSA is a high tier jet operator, it will build a great deal of confidence in the Jet, if RSAF starts flying it. It will be our icebreaking into the Arab market, since RSAF is a reputed organization and has very high standard equipment.

If a deal is in progress its beneficial to us and to KSA, its a win win.

@Arabian Legend

• Shahpar UAV
  • Burraq UCAV
  • Armored vehicles
  • MBRLs
  • Naval technology

Spot on my dear brother spot on, but it should have been done long ago don't you think? This visit brought a lot optimism as I can clearly see circling arab forums and media outlets. Saudi Arabia and Indonesia also singed a defense cooperation today as well. A push so we can work together for the benefit of us all.

The deal is going as it is. RSAF receives two jets every month. I don't know what you are referring to!

That's what my post meant. Saudi's are, should I say, desperate, to gain a capability of manufacturing jets at home. Hopes of "assembling" euro fighter was a step towards the realization of that goal, but they couldn't achieve it.

Now they are looking in to JF-17 and seems pretty serious. What JF-17 would give them, not a technological edge, not a assembly option, but "manufacturing" jet from scratch and that's what they want. A manpower be able to manufacture jets designed by themselves or co-designed in saudia it self in distant future

Saudi Arabia Al-Salam aircraft company is currently upgrading the F-15 to new SA one. The Typhoon facilities across the kingdom are doing a great job as well and all run by saudis

Last edited:
Spot on my dear brother spot on, but it should have been done long ago don't you think? This visit brought a lot optimism as I can clearly see circling arab forums and media outlets. Saudi Arabia and Indonesia also singed a defense cooperation today as well. A push so we can work together for the benefit of us all.

Saudi leadership is putting the money where the mouth is. You invest a cent in Pakistani defense sector its products will be fully available to your military and industries without strings attached.

IMHO - the Saudi approach to directly jump to extremely high tech manufacturing was a bit of an overkill, without having the basic infrastructure.

In Pakistan we went from building Mashak, to Super Mashak, to assembly and upgrades of F-6 Farmer, to Mirage Rebuild factory to K-8 and finally to building a fighter aircraft.

We started with upgrading old T-59 tanks to Al-Zarrar and then moved on to, MBT-2000, Al-Khalid, Al-Khalid-1 and now Al-Khalid-II.

Its a process of evolution , if you catch my drift. If KSA opts for JF-17, this product will come with pretty much clean chit access and with full industrial benefits, not restricted to making wings and pipes. It will involve full access to latest electronics, avionics, and weapons. You can take JFT as a low tier line of defense in your operational role, but it will revolutionize your aviation industry.

For us, it means our product gets a seal of approval from a high end user, confidence builds and we get more customers, which means more profits, which means more R&D, which means a better product and PAF having the savings to opt for a 5th Generation program with China, which will come with industrial benefits to us and what benefits us, benefits you....i am sure now my points are clear.

• The two countries are describing the warming of bilateral ties as the beginning of a ‘new era in the strategic partnership’
  • The delegation visited Air Defence Command of Pakistan Air Force.
  • Saudi delegation has expressed interest in Pakistan’s indigenously produced command and control system.
  • Saudis also want to buy Super Mushshak training aircraft and JF-17 Thunder fighter jets.
  • The delegation, visited the General Headquarters in Rawalpindi and defence industries in Kamra and Wah.
  • The trip is expected to be followed by expert-level discussions on areas that Riyadh would like to benefit from Pakistan’s expertise.
  • In addition to radars and aircraft, the Saudis are keen on training and getting Pakistani experts in their services.

DAWN -
Saudi defence delegation leaves - DAWN.COM

Do you think with the TOT Saudi Arabia has from the west and elsewhere can all be put together to what pakistan has and come with something new or even upgrade the current ones?

The deal is going as it is. RSAF receives two jets every month. I don't know what you are referring to!

Saudi Arabia Al-Salam aircraft company is currently upgrading the F-15 to new SA one. The Typhoon facilities across the kingdom are doing a great job as well and all run by saudis

So would you be assembling eurofighter in Saudia as earlier envisioned?

Do you think with the TOT Saudi Arabia has from the west and elsewhere can all be put together to what pakistan has and come with something new or even upgrade the current ones?

Yes it can be done. The expertise KSA has with its much advanced systems can definitely be used to tailor a JF-17 that meets the stringent requirements of RSAF.

Back
Top Bottom