What's new

Sad! India purchased only 4200 R-73, 1540 R-77, 796 R-27 missiles since 1995

Reaction score
Country
India
According to SIPRI, India has purchased only 4200 R-73, 1540 R-77, 796 R-27 missiles since 1995.
India has also purchased, 493 MICAs of which over 100 have been delivered.
India also purchased 80 Derby and 220 Python-4, Python-5 from Israel.
India will also receive 380 ASRAAMs beginning September 2016.

India also has hundreds of Magic-2 and R-60MKs in it's inventory.All R-23 BVRAAMS and AA-1 Atolls have been retired.

http://armstrade.sipri.org/armstrade/page/trade_register.php

Given our threat level we need more.

Sad? Surely the money Indian establishment has saved, may have contributed alot in the development of India. You should have said like: wow, we only spent that...congratulations India.

Sad? Surely the money Indian establishment has saved, may have contributed alot in the development of India. You should have said like: wow, we only spent that...congratulations India.
Wow. thats a moment. Lets not qwell you on this atleast.

Interestingly apart from R-73s, we'll use Python-5s and ASRAAMs...2 of the 5th gen and best wvr missiles. If we count MICA-IR then its 3.

If 500 jets are operationally available with average package of 6 missiles it's 3000 missiles.

Multiple it with 2 sorties a day it's 6000

Now expect 66%to be AAM and 34% to be AGM types then AAM becomes 4000

Multiply it with say a high intensity 2 weeks campaign
And attrition rate of 50% jets lost you will get anywhere approx 20k- 30k missile needs or lower estimate say 20k.

But where we will fire such huge number of missiles and why waste.maintaining such exorbitant inventory.

What that number clearly indicates

• Planners don't think Chinese side any campaign would ever happen
  • Use of AAMs are sufficient for flankers to take out PAF aerial assets
  • Rest of the jets can do AGM campaigns
And secondly the campaign would be short and sweet more like a week max with first 2-3 days seeing a overall missile SSM campaign taking out HV targets followed by IAF gaining air supremacy followed by Ground campaigns by small but mobile strike corps and Air support missions.

I don't think any such numbers at present is an issue. It saves precious FX and we should increase numbers of indigenous missiles eventually replacing these as well and making our inventory bigger.

Secondly SIPRI database is not 100% accurate. It gives a good outline and estimate but accuracy cannot be vouched. But it's one of the few credible estimates available in public domain.

Perhaps run a similar register for Pakistan and check their inventory. You will see a similar strategy.

If 500 jets are operationally available with average package of 6 missiles it's 3000 missiles.

Multiple it with 2 sorties a day it's 6000

Now expect 66%to be AAM and 34% to be AGM types then AAM becomes 4000

Multiply it with say a high intensity 2 weeks campaign
And attrition rate of 50% jets lost you will get anywhere approx 20k- 30k missile needs or lower estimate say 20k.

But where we will fire such huge number of missiles and why waste.maintaining such exorbitant inventory.

What that number clearly indicates

• Planners don't think Chinese side any campaign would ever happen
  • Use of AAMs are sufficient for flankers to take out PAF aerial assets
  • Rest of the jets can do AGM campaigns
And secondly the campaign would be short and sweet more like a week max with first 2-3 days seeing a overall missile SSM campaign taking out HV targets followed by IAF gaining air supremacy followed by Ground campaigns by small but mobile strike corps and Air support missions.

I don't think any such numbers at present is an issue. It saves precious FX and we should increase numbers of indigenous missiles eventually replacing these as well and making our inventory bigger.

Secondly SIPRI database is not 100% accurate. It gives a good outline and estimate but accuracy cannot be vouched. But it's one of the few credible estimates available in public domain.

Perhaps run a similar register for Pakistan and check their inventory. You will see a similar strategy.

What about the purchases that are NOT DECLARED

What is not declared ;but it still EXISTS

What about the purchases that are NOT DECLARED

What is not declared ;but it still EXISTS
That's why I said this
Secondly SIPRI database is not 100% accurate. It gives a good outline and estimate but accuracy cannot be vouched. But it's one of the few credible estimates available in public domain

What you said is very much possible.. since no one can accurately give things out..

May be some parliamentary report may give better accurate numbers but I doubt that also..

May be some parliamentary report may give better accurate numbers but I doubt that also..

Parliament reports are BS

They make their reports on the data and information given to them

What is classified -- it remains classified

Parliamentary reports are in the public domain -- so there is nothing new about it

what is the shelf life on these missile??

If I were India I would buy

K-74M=3000
K-77M=1500
R-27EA=1000
Meteor=1000
MICA=1000

that should be plenty to deal with Pakistan and China both at the same time.

you have to factor in you are getting S-400 as well.

what is the shelf life on these missile??

If I were India I would buy

K-74M=3000
K-77M=1500
R-27EA=1000
Meteor=1000
MICA=1000

that should be plenty to deal with Pakistan and China both at the same time.

you have to factor in you are getting S-400 as well.

If you want to sell your factories to gift us , why not...

I am afraid all those missiles would go to waste as PAF would wipe out IAF within 48 hours. After that IAF would only be flying within it's own skies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom