What's new

India orders 300 R-73 and 400 RVV-AE missiles worth $700 million from Russia

Apparently it was changed halfway to the SD but the AE makes the bulk of the order.

The article from scramble mentions the AE were only produced in Ukraine by Artem, and that Russia was only a token user of the Artem imported R-77 until the point it started making the R-77-1 (export desig RVV-SD). So how can the Indian order have AE versions, does Russian make them?

It was a surprise to me that until now Russia itself wasn't a major R-77 user.

Is the missile arrived yet ??

Look like USA doesnt protest ....You know CATSA, so supporting defense equipment like AA missile is allowed by USA
USA is a joke while applying sanctions, it doesn’t apply sanctions on countries buying from China whom it calls “enemy number 1”. USA itself sells holographic sights and special forces gear to Russian military, Italy (NATO member) is allowed to license manufacture Russian Yak-130 locally.

USA wants to sellPatriot/THAAD to us, and we don’t want that.

The article from scramble mentions the AE were only produced in Ukraine by Artem, and that Russia was only a token user of the Artem imported R-77 until the point it started making the R-77-1 (export desig RVV-SD). So how can the Indian order have AE versions, does Russian make them?

It was a surprise to me that until now Russia itself wasn't a major R-77 user.
Apparently India bought from Ukraine as well - but to your point they clearly advertise them
http://roe.ru/eng/catalog/aerospace-systems/air-to-air-missile/rvv-ae/

Our R-27 which we bough has 130km range
And its has semi active radar seeker, which means launch jet can continuously point toward the targets untill R-27 will hit its target, which give a risk to Launch jet come within the range of enemy's Active radar guided BVR NEZ zone

And its has semi active radar seeker, which means launch jet can continuously point toward the targets untill R-27 will hit its target, which give a risk to Launch jet come within the range of enemy's Active radar guided BVR NEZ zone

I think there is an active radar seeker variant of R-27 called R-27EA.

Which version of R-77 is India getting in this order? @khanasifm @Mirage Battle Commander @GriffinsRule @ziaulislam @Dazzler anyone?

There is the current one India has RVV-AE with 80 km range and then there is RVV-SD with 110km range:

If its the 110 km range, I think they will be able to match our c-5s (and SD-10Bs). Do recall US came up with c-7 around the same time, that tells they wanted to outmatch the latest Russian iteration with theirs.
NO clue but what I can tell you for sure that the 110km or 105km are very unrealistic in combat so it will not matter.

what matters is the 100% kill probability range and I think "dont quote me on this" for the R-77 the NEZ may be 25-35 km

Yes but ER uses semi active radar seekers and i think EA version is for only experimental purpose TO DEVELOP SEEKER FOR R-77
not even Russian Air forces used or uses EA version of R-27 in past or using it currently

That’s very interesting information! This doesn’t seem to be a good acquisition idea since passive R-27 doesn’t have the best AA track record.

Back
Top Bottom