What's new

SAC FC-31 Stealth Fighter: News & Discussions

look at it this way
if PAF joins J31 it may get gain not only the technical experience required for developing a fifth gen jet but may get an excellent interim solution till its own azm is available in 2035+ time line

if acquired in 70-100 numbers in next 10-15 yrs, may also be an export success

so if JV option is available PAF should take the risk rather then going for j10

the engine rd93ma can be used in both block 3 and j31

FC-31 production variant will be powered by WS-13 and later variant WS-19. PAF will wait for FC-31 before deciding to buy this or J-10CE. Although PAF has policy for only single engine fighter, if FC-31 is good, PAF will allow special exemption especially if the WS-13 could be shared with newer block JF-17. If budget is tight, PAF will buy in small numbers to counter threat from IAF.

J-10CE is being considered for its air to ground capabilities more than air to air, buying it is less practical in terms if maintenance wise due to WS-10 engine that PAF would require to buy more separate parts just for J-10CE. FC-31 is still the better choice.
IMHO the J-35 will likely remain a PLA-only program because it's technically a niche fighter (carrier-specific design) and will likely house sensitive PLA-only tech.

Thus, I don't think the FC-31 is dead. Rather, China is in a unique position to fully cater to the non-ITAR NGFA market. I think the FC-31 will live on, but will return after SAC and the PLAN freeze the J-35 design.

Some elements of the J-35 could make their way to the FC-31 and, in turn, SAC will raise a separate production line once they secure a big launch customer.

The only other alternative that I can think of is that FC-31 is truly dead, but the Chinese are working on the next export-focused NGFA via Project AZM. So, the work from FC-31 could end up in AZM, but via a different design/platform.

@Deino @Figaro

FC-31 will stay as last resort for ally country should they get into war up against superior country with stealth fighters. China needed an export variant stealth fighter to get tested and combat proven as it can't risk to sell classified J-20 or upcoming naval fighter J-35. Besides, FC-31 is testbed for R&D of navalized J-35 fighter therefore development of both fighters will go on.

Last edited:
FC-31 production variant will be powered by WS-13 and later variant WS-19. PAF will wait for FC-31 before deciding to buy this or J-10CE. Although PAF has policy for only single engine fighter, if FC-31 is good, PAF will allow special exemption especially if the WS-13 could be shared with newer block JF-17. If budget is tight, PAF will buy in small numbers to counter threat from IAF.

J-10CE is being considered for its air to ground capabilities more than air to air, buying it is less practical in terms if maintenance wise due to WS-10 engine that PAF would require to buy more separate parts just for J-10CE. FC-31 is still the better choice.

FC-31 will stay as last resort for ally country should they get into war up against superior country with stealth fighters. China needed an export variant stealth fighter to get tested and combat proven as it can't risk to sell classified J-20 or upcoming naval fighter J-35. Besides, FC-31 is testbed for R&D of navalized J-35 fighter therefore development of both fighters will go on.
1. What is estimated cost of FC 31 vs J 10 CE? Per hour cost of flying?

2. What is approximate MTBO of WS 13 and WS 19 and when is it going to be production ready?

1. What is estimated cost of FC 31 vs J 10 CE? Per hour cost of flying?

2. What is approximate MTBO of WS 13 and WS 19 and when is it going to be production ready?

Your cost of flying is it the fuel usage? Based on Jane's specifications, the Mig-29S with RD33 fuel consumption is somewhere close to F/A-18C. Since China fighters J-10 is not sold to other neutral country and China does not disclose fuel usage to public, we can only take F/A-18C vs F-16C fuel consumption comparison to estimate FC-31 vs J-10CE fuel consumption difference. F/A-18C/D equivalent to RD-33 & WS-13, more powerful WS19 can be around F/A-18E/F fuel consumption.

Difference margin between FC-31 on 2 fuel efficient medium engines vs J-10CE on 1 large powerful engine won't be that much apart, around 1-2lb per second of fuel on dry thrust. Still more fuel efficient than F-14, F-15, Su-27.

#2 no idea on this, like all fans here waiting for news from Shenyang

With korean KFX going to debut. I hope FC-31 V2 with domestic engine can compete against it for export matket

PLAAF might have its own version of the FC-31 with first flight expected by late 2021.
The J-XY might fly by the end of 2022.

“目前,强度所型号研制工作已全面铺开,克服沈阳疫情影响圆满完成某型号试验机运输工作,共振团队高效优质完成21号工程地面振动模态试验,ARJ21-700全机疲劳试验有序推进……新春伊始,捷报频传。 ”
年初已经运到阎良了,坐等首飞
[笑而不语]

21号工程,有点意思
[偷笑]

Source: https://weibo.com/7340233926/K9wNxg8BX

Also from Huitong:
First flight is expected to be in 2022...a dedicated variant (J-21?) is being developed for PLAAF without arresting hook and folded wings. First flight is speculated to be by the end of this year.

PS: ... by the way maybe someone can contact SAC; if if they want to achieve a major PR-stunt, they shall make a roll-out on April 8th one day before the South Korean KFX will be unveiled on Friday. :omghaha:

China needs to hurry up and have this plane ready for export by 2025 with its own domestic engine.

It would generate hundreds of sales to developing countries in the first few years. No idea why China is not making this project a little more urgent.

China needs to hurry up and have this plane ready for export by 2025 with its own domestic engine.

It would generate hundreds of sales to developing countries in the first few years. No idea why China is not making this project a little more urgent.

They are focusing on domestic engine I believe, hoping to see the plane use Chinese own engine and of course with this ambition it can prolong the program more.

They have already had J 20 and China is already rich enough, they are not really concern on foreign sales, what they want to achieve is to have their own engine and keep refining the design if the engine development is still not satisfying enough

They are focusing on domestic engine I believe, hoping to see the plane use Chinese own engine and of course with this ambition it can prolong the program more.

They have already had J 20 and China is already rich enough, they are not really concern on foreign sales, what they want to achieve is to have their own engine and keep refining the design if the engine development is still not satisfying enough

Yes you are right China does not need the foreign currency anymore.

They could realistically have the domestic engine ready by 2025 if they concentrated enough resources on it but it seems they are more focused on the J-20s WS-15 engine and maybe the CJ-1000A for the C919 which they probably judge as greater national priorities.

Still I would have thought that getting the J-35 ready as soon as possible for their carriers would have more urgency as their J-15s have little chance against the F-35Cs on the US carriers.

PS: ... by the way maybe someone can contact SAC; if if they want to achieve a major PR-stunt, they shall make a roll-out on April 8th one day before the South Korean KFX will be unveiled on Friday. :omghaha:

The FC-31 prototype has already been flying for almost a decade. What kind of roll-out do you want other than maybe disclose the naval prototype?

The FC-31 prototype has already been flying for almost a decade. What kind of roll-out do you want other than maybe disclose the naval prototype?

Exactly THIS ... not only a blurry image on a taxiway or tarmac, ...

1617715163094.png

... but a real unveiling and roll-out ceremony. Ok, I know I'm dreaming too much. :azn:

1617715257842.png

According to a post at the SDF there was an "interview with 赵霞 of SAC. She was the deputy chief designer of J-15. She is talking about her experience working as chief designer of a new fighter. She specifically says this aircraft will have four variants."

By the way, maybe is it just me, but I have the feeling recently they are talking about that new type (or at least hinting) more often. So does the smoke gets thicker towards some sort of unveiling?

(Via @Temstar/SDF)

1617808147095.png

Back
Top Bottom