What's new

RC400 and MBDA MICA approved for JF-17

Because you require permission from the US to integrate third party capability on the aircraft. It is doable as there is a precedence with PAF being the first Air Force to integrate the French ATLIS LD pods outside of the NATO. The second part is that when you integrate something new (like MICA to F-16s,) you would have to foot the bill for it. Although PAF would have been willing to do that, the US has not been forthcoming on the permission to allow this type of integration work.

Embargoed does not mean that PAF can do whatever with the aircraft. Through out the sanctions, US allowed PAF to maintain the F-16s commercially but it was a very expensive affair.

You basically said what I have been trying to explain.
It was NOT me who said it is very easy to make system cocktail on fighter jets.

Your discussion style was very poor. You were claiming things which made you look like a kid who doesn't know what he is talking about..

The missiles are there for use. If AIM-9P/L can be used in the French radar than AIM-120C5 can also be used in the future French radars. Pakistan will might just have to pay for the fee, and it will surely not going to be the HUGE COST. However, like blain said.. the inclusion of MICA in the RC400 negates such a need.

You basically said what I have been trying to explain.
It was NOT me who said it is very easy to make system cocktail on fighter jets.

But my point was not on the technical infeasibility. French or South African BVR solution on US aircraft is doable (and PAF would have done this 10 years ago) if the Americans had relented and allowed some sort of an arrangement where we could have married the non-US BVR solution onto the F-16s. They hold on to the source codes pretty tightly.

^ So it is safe to say that AIM-120C5 will only be used in the F-16s? French MICA will be used in JF-17 and J-10?

Thus far the word is that F-16 fleet will be AIM-120 equipped and the JF-17 fleet will be MICA/SD-10 capable. J-10 is still something further out. I would think for ease of logistics and commonality, MICA/SD-10 would be a good option for J-10 as well, but if PAF decides to get an AESA capability on the J-10 and the range is extended (lets say beyond 100 km) then PAF may want some type of BVRAAM that is able to exploit those ranges and then MICA may not fit the bill. But this is something a bit too early to discuss. I am sure a bigger discussion point for the PAF is, what kind of avionics would be suitable for the J-10.

Airbus to sell 160 jets to China By CHRISTOPHER BODEEN

BEIJING - Airbus said it signed contracts Monday to sell 160 commercial passenger jets to China in a deal worth around $14.8 billion.

The order includes 110 of the European company's A320 jets and 50 of the slightly larger A330 planes, Airbus officials said in Beijing, where they were accompanying French President Nicolas Sarkozy on his first state visit to the Asian trading giant.

Airbus and Chinese partners this summer signed an agreement to produce A320s in China in anticipation of large Chinese orders for the popular single aisle jet that seats 150 or more passengers. Size-wise, the plane is well suited for Chinese domestic routes expected to show strong growth in the years ahead as the economy continues to expand.

Airbus and its American archrival Boeing Co. predict China will become the world's second-biggest aircraft market after the United States, with airlines buying 1,900 to 2,600 planes over the next two decades.

The order stands to push Airbus past Chicago-based Boeing in total orders for commercial aircraft this year.

Boeing said last week it had received 1,047 commercial airplane orders this year, already beating its 2006 record-setting total of 1,044 orders with more than a month to go. Airbus had logged 1,021 commercial jet orders as of the end of October, the most recent data available on the company's Web site.

The exact pricetag for the huge purchase was not immediately clear. Louis Gallois, chief executive of European Aeronautic Defence & Space Co. NV, the owner of Airbus, said he "had not calculated it."

French officials speaking on condition of anonymity said the deal totaled about 10 billion euros, or $14.8 billion. Other Airbus officials said the list price of the planes came to about $17 billion, although such large scale ordes usually include deep discounts and other pricing incentives.

The deal is welcome news to Airbus, which has struggled with a decline in the U.S. dollar and delays with its A400M military transport aircraft and the A380 superjumbo that has wiped billions of euros off EADS' profit.

Earlier this month, Gallois said the company needed to find an extra 1 billion euros ($1.46 billion) in cost savings after the planemaker and its parent company announced third-quarter losses.

The dollar's drop to record lows against the euro also makes it harder for Airbus to compete against Boeing Co., because while it sells its planes in dollars, many of its costs are in euros.

Airbus' agreement to assemble planes in China was seen as part of a long-term strategy to win a greater share of the Chinese market that for years was dominated by Boeing. Its final assembly line in the Chinese city of Tianjian is due to deliver its first aircraft in early 2009. The plant is expected to be able to produce four A320s a month by 2011 and a total of about 300 A320 planes by 2016.

This should neatly pave the way for the RC-400 and MBDA deal for JF-17...

This isnt a military sale, its commerical besides china is purchasing airbuses while its pakistan who wants to induct RC-400 MBDA in JFs. So i didnt get your point fatman sir. Care to ellobrate.

This isnt a military sale, its commerical besides china is purchasing airbuses while its pakistan who wants to induct RC-400 MBDA in JFs. So i didnt get your point fatman sir. Care to ellobrate.

US is pressing France not to sell the RC-400/MBDA for the JF-17 co-produced by Pak/China. now with this chinese sweetner, there should be no concerns on the part of France.

Aim-9P/L have been integrated in French radars before. Does it mean that source codes were provided by the Americans?

hi
so we are ghetting the frence radar? right iam confused sirs .... arnt we ghetting gifro ? 50 will have chinese components .... how much will the range be?????? of the french and its BVR missels?

Thus far the word is that F-16 fleet will be AIM-120 equipped and the JF-17 fleet will be MICA/SD-10 capable. J-10 is still something further out. I would think for ease of logistics and commonality, MICA/SD-10 would be a good option for J-10 as well, but if PAF decides to get an AESA capability on the J-10 and the range is extended (lets say beyond 100 km) then PAF may want some type of BVRAAM that is able to exploit those ranges and then MICA may not fit the bill. But this is something a bit too early to discuss. I am sure a bigger discussion point for the PAF is, what kind of avionics would be suitable for the J-10.

Agreed, but my memory reminds me of a post saying that FC-20s will be coming with a powerful PESA rather than AESA. And new PL-14 RJBVRAAM or Meteor RJBVRAAM were also reportedly on offer on FC-20. If FC-20 gets a Meteor I can imagine FC-20 becoming a real *** buster. 3times NEZ as compared to AMRAAM and raning AMRAAM D . Man I would love this missi

well sir i couldnt found any thing abouts its range and other specs like that...
can anyone help. however i found this intresting information from Thales Group website:
RC400
Thales, UK, Defence, Aerospace, Military Missions For more than 50 years, Thales has been at the forefront of the radar technologies for combat aircraft. Capitalizing on this unrivalled experience, Thales has developed the RC 400 for providing a cost-effective solution for light or large combat aircraft modernization.
The RC 400 features all the advanced functions required on a multirole aircraft of the 21st century.
The Air-to-Air function with its advanced automatic mode management reduces pilot workload - search domain management, highest priority targets ranking and sorting - and allows better tactical situation assessment and mission efficiency.
Multiple scanning patterns as well as angular domain and scanning speed are automatically managed by the radar.

Advanced Combat modes with fast and automatic target acquisition and tracking adapted to hard target manoeuvres at short range; high quality of target designation associated to simultaneous multi-tracking and multi-shoot capability.
The Air-to-Surface modes adapted to various missions: Navigation, Surveillance, Target, Acquisition, Very-Low Level penetration.

The reference in its category
• Light weight and multifunction radar
• Modular design
• Adaptable to a wide range of combat aircraft

RC 400 KEY FEATURES

• Modular design
&#8226; Light weight: <120 kg
&#8226; Low power consumption: 3.5 kVA
&#8226; Different antenna sizes available
&#8226; High average transmitted power: 400 W
&#8226; Up-to-date signal processing technologies
&#8226; COTS components for obsolescence protection
&#8226; 1553 Bus
&#8226; Advanced ECCM features
&#8226; Very Low False Alarm Rate
&#8226; Flexibility and growth potential
&#8226; Efficient BITE and maintenance concept for reduced manpower and life cycle cost

With more than 4.000 radars and as many EW suites installed on-board combat aircraft for more than 40 air forces worldwide, Thales has a strong experience as equipment supplier, partner or prime contractor of combat solutions.

OPERATIONAL BENEFITS

Air-to-air function
&#8226; Very long range, all aspect, look-up / look-down detection
&#8226; Automatic waveform management and antenna scanning
&#8226; Multi-target automatic lock-on and TWS
&#8226; Simultaneous multi-target fire control
&#8226; Single Target Track
&#8226; Combat modes
&#8226; IFF interrogator capability

Air-to-ground function
RC 400 provides all the modes required for day and night, all weather operations:
&#8226; High Resolution Mapping spotlight SAR (picture)
&#8226; Terrain Avoidance (Contour Mapping for Blind Penetration)
&#8226; Moving Target Indication and Tracking
&#8226; Air-to-Ground Ranging
&#8226; Freeze / Silence

Air-to-sea function
RC 400 provides all the modes required for BVR attack of surface ships:
&#8226; Long-range detection
&#8226; Multi-target TWS
&#8226; Target RCS assessment
&#8226; STT
&#8226; ISAR (option)

Others
&#8226; Easy Air-to-Surface modes transitions