Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Protester shot as Kashmir votes

By Altaf Hussain
BBC News, Srinagar

0a2d088fdb833857a1e63ee9342aeae0.jpg

A tight security presence for polling day in Indian-controlled Kashmir
Police have opened fire at an anti-election demonstration in Indian-administered Kashmir, killing at least one person and wounding two others.

Hundreds of people took to the streets in Pulwama district, where polling is being held in the fifth phase of elections for the state assembly.

The protesters chanted slogans against Indian rule. There were also clashes in the village of Karimabad.

The poll is being seen as a stern test for Indian rule in the disputed region.

See a map of states voting
I was in the village when police opened fire to break up the demonstration.

It seemed they were firing over the heads of protesters, but now police have told me that one person has died and two have been admitted to a hospital in Srinagar with bullet injuries.

Some polling stations did brisk business despite the boycott

In recent months there have been huge pro-independence demonstrations in Kashmir which were met with force by the security forces, leaving many dead.

Dozens of separatist leaders have been detained to try to prevent them from orchestrating protests against the poll.

The turnout has been moderate at some polling booths and brisk at some others.

However, polling has been by and large peaceful. The turnout has been low to moderate in the first few hours.

Voting is being held in seven phrases, lasting over five weeks until 24 December. Counting of votes will take place on 28 December.

Separatists have been calling for a boycott of the poll and demanded a plebiscite to decide the future of the state.

Indian state votes amid violence
928431c692d563d2de8459107c73dc7e.jpg

Maoist rebels are active in Chattisgarh
The beginning of a crucial round of state elections in India has been marred by outbreaks of violence

Maoist rebels snatched voting machines and seized poll workers in the central state of Chattisgarh, police say.

Police said they fought gun battles with rebels in several places in the state. At least two members of the security forces were killed.

The election is the first in a series of votes that may determine whether the government calls an early general poll.

See a map of states voting
A general election must be held by May but could be called earlier.

Voting in six mostly central and western states will take place over six weeks, amid signs of economic slowdown.

Abductions

Chattisgarh is one of at least 13 states in India where Maoist rebels are active.

In the first stage of voting in Chattisgarh, voters cast their ballots in 39 of 90 constituencies.

In the Konta and Narayanpur areas in the state's Bastar district where the rebels have a strong presence, Maoists stopped polling officials travelling to the polling stations and stole electronic voting machines, police said.

Rebels also abducted polling officials in the Katekalyan area, police said.

An air force engineer was killed when rebels fired on a helicopter in Jagdalpur district, officials said. A member of the paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force was killed in a clash with rebels in Dantewada district.

There were also at least two landmine blasts set off by the rebels which several security personnel injured, reports said.

Correspondents say that key issues in the state elections include rising prices and security following a spate of bomb attacks blamed mostly on Islamist militants.

Apart from Chattisgarh, the states that will go to the polls are Madhya Pradesh, Delhi, Mizoram in the north-east and the western desert state of Rajasthan.

For security reasons the disputed region of Jammu and Kashmir will vote in seven phases over nearly as many weeks.

If the governing Congress party does well, it may want to build on the results and call an early poll in February.

However, a poor performance might prompt the government to delay the vote until May, the end of its five-year parliamentary term.

Whichever party, Congress or the main opposition BJP, does better may find it easier to secure alliances with regional parties before the general election - of the utmost importance when building a post-election governing coalition.

The BJP faces a tough challenge from Congress in Madhya Pradesh, Chattisgarh and Rajasthan because incumbent administrations in Indian states often do badly in elections.

Observers will also be closely watching the outcome of the vote in Indian-administered Kashmir, which during the summer was the scene of large anti-India protests.

Many Indian cities, including Bangalore, Jaipur, Ahmedabad and the capital, Delhi, have been hit by bomb blasts recently, with large losses of life.

The BJP has been campaigning for a tougher anti-terror law in response to the bombings.

Counting of votes will take place on 8 December, apart from in Indian-administered Kashmir where votes will be tallied on 28 December.

That's very tolerant! India is after all the greatest and most perfect democracy on the planet, right?
Democracy doesn't mean that you disrupt voting process .If somebody does that he/she should be shot in his /her forehead .

anyway ,Why are you guys so much worried about our democracy ?It seems you too much worried about us lol..ahh I forgot Kashmir is what you need and you people spend time thinking how to get it lol
ok think think .

Democracy doesn't mean that you disrupt voting process .If somebody does that he/she should be shot in his /her forehead .

anyway ,Why are you guys so much worried about our democracy ?It seems you too much worried about us lol..ahh I forgot Kashmir is what you need and you people spend time thinking how to get it lol
This violence will only beget more violence.

India is not shooting freedom fighters on the forehead but shooting themselves on the foot.

ok think think .

You are a disgusting and sad human being, a typical product of fascist India. The only one that needs a shell to the dome is.... :tsk:

You are a disgusting and sad human being, a typical product of fascist India. The only one that needs a shell to the dome is.... :tsk:
sad hehe what a joke ..I'm happy what I'm .

I'm just playing with you guys .I;m in a mood of doing that .

Live and let live

sad hehe what a joke ..I'm happy what I'm .

I'm just playing with you guys .I;m in a mood of doing that .

Live and let live

Can you get any more RETARDED than that? You could try, but you'd FAIL miserably.

another news about mistreatment in IHK
when will the indians ever learn :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom