What's new

PNS Azmat Class - Fast Attack Missile Craft | Updates & Discussions.

No one is going to get scared of a 600 Ton FAC

You need to induct 6000 Ton Frigates and Destroyers to actually leave a mark
So, you dismiss the following as inconsequential (just a few or the larger recent ships under 6k ton):

Russia: project 22350 / Admiral Gorshkov class frigate
Admiral Gorshkov Class Frigates - Naval Technology

Russia: project 11356M 'Krivak IV' Grigorovich frigates a.k.a. Talwar class
Talwar Class Frigate - Naval Technology

South Korea: DDH II / Chungmugong Yi Sunshin Class Destroyer
Chungmugong Yi Sunshin Class / DDH-II Class Destroyer - Naval Technology

South Korea: FFX / Incheon Class Frigate
Incheon Class Frigates / Future Frigate Experimental (FFX) - Naval Technology

Singapore: Formidable class frigate
Formidable Class Frigate - Naval Technology

Norway (Spain): Nansen class frigate
Nansen Class Anti-Submarine Warfare Frigates - Naval Technology

Japan: Takanami Class Destroyers
Takanami Class Destroyers - Naval Technology

South Africa (Germany): Valour class frigate a.k.a. Meko A200
MEKO A Class Combat Ship Family - Naval Technology

United States:
LCS1 Freedom class
USS Freedom (LCS-1) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LCS2 Independence class
USS Independence (LCS-2) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

China: Type 054A Jiangkai II class frigates
Type 054A frigate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Turkey: TF-100 / Ada class (enlarged/improved Heybeliada class)
Thales Sails the Seven Seas

Huangfeng class of the Type 021 class missile boat-205 t
Houbei class missile boat- 220t
Skjold class patrol boat-274 t
Hamina class missile boat - 250 tons
Gepard class fast attack craft -391 tonnes
Roussen class fast attack craft- 580 tons
Azmat class Fast attack craft -560 tons
Kılıç class fast attack craft-552 t
Nanuchka class corvette-560
Tarantul class corvette-480
Buyan class corvette-550 Tons

List of naval ship classes in service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Huangfeng class of the Type 021 class missile boat-205 t
Houbei class missile boat- 220t
Skjold class patrol boat-274 t
Hamina class missile boat - 250 tons
Gepard class fast attack craft -391 tonnes
Roussen class fast attack craft- 580 tons
Azmat class Fast attack craft -560 tons
Kılıç class fast attack craft-552 t
Nanuchka class corvette-560
Tarantul class corvette-480
Buyan class corvette-550 Tons

List of naval ship classes in service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
well sir, you seem to be one of the most informed persons; could you please tell something about PNS azmat design? Is it stealthy or..... I think a FAC should be stealthy like skjold or visby class

Hi anotherangle, thankyou for your remarks --I am more into aircrafts & aviation however pengiun is probably the right person to put this question to :enjoy:

Stealth refers to reduced signatures. There are a number of aspects to consider, including: a) radar reflectivity, b1) radiated underwater noise, b2) radiated overwater noise, c) thermal emissions (=heat), d) electronic emissions. To deal with these you find a) superstructure smoothing/angling + use of radar absorbing materials/paints, b1) sound and vibration proof equipment mounting e.g. for engines, b2) use of water jet, use of underwater exhaust venting, c) thermal shielding, exhaust cooling e.g. using water spray, and d) reliance on e.g. LPI (low probability of intercept) radars and on passive sensors.

Obviously, with Azmat, it is clear that there is in the design the use of superstructure smoothing/angling. There also appear to be passive sensors/channel to back up of substitute for active (i.e. radar) sensors as far as firecontrol is concerned. I don't see underwater exhaust venting or use of waterjets. All remainding things, we can't really tell from photo's. So, there you have it.

My impression is that with Skjold and Visby much effort has gone into increasing stealthiness in all respects, while with Azmat it is limited to some aspects.

E.g. Skjold: build of fiberglass/carbon compisite rather than steel, use of anechoic coatings of radar absorbent materials (RAM) in the load-bearing structures over large areas of the ship. Ship profile has a faceted appearance without right angle structures and few orientations of reflective panels. Doors and hatches are mounted flush with the surfaces, windows dito without visible coaming (edge of window aperture) and fitted with radar reflective screens.
E.g. Visby: hull built a sandwich design consisting of a PVC core with a carbon fibre and vinyl laminate. Good conductivity and surface flatness means a low radar signature, while good heat insulation lowers the infrared signature and increases survivability in case of fire. The composite sandwich used is also non-magnetic, which lowers the magnetic signature (against mines, torpedoes). Angular design reduces its radar signature / radar cross section. Gun barrel can be folded into the turret to reduce its radar cross section.

Stealth refers to reduced signatures. There are a number of aspects to consider, including: a) radar reflectivity, b1) radiated underwater noise, b2) radiated overwater noise, c) thermal emissions (=heat), d) electronic emissions. To deal with these you find a) superstructure smoothing/angling + use of radar absorbing materials/paints, b1) sound and vibration proof equipment mounting e.g. for engines, b2) use of water jet, use of underwater exhaust venting, c) thermal shielding, exhaust cooling e.g. using water spray, and d) reliance on e.g. LPI (low probability of intercept) radars and on passive sensors.

Obviously, with Azmat, it is clear that there is in the design the use of superstructure smoothing/angling. There also appear to be passive sensors/channel to back up of substitute for active (i.e. radar) sensors as far as firecontrol is concerned. I don't see underwater exhaust venting or use of waterjets. All remainding things, we can't really tell from photo's. So, there you have it.

My impression is that with Skjold and Visby much effort has gone into increasing stealthiness in all respects, while with Azmat it is limited to some aspects.

E.g. Skjold: build of fiberglass/carbon compisite rather than steel, use of anechoic coatings of radar absorbent materials (RAM) in the load-bearing structures over large areas of the ship. Ship profile has a faceted appearance without right angle structures and few orientations of reflective panels. Doors and hatches are mounted flush with the surfaces, windows dito without visible coaming (edge of window aperture) and fitted with radar reflective screens.
E.g. Visby: hull built a sandwich design consisting of a PVC core with a carbon fibre and vinyl laminate. Good conductivity and surface flatness means a low radar signature, while good heat insulation lowers the infrared signature and increases survivability in case of fire. The composite sandwich used is also non-magnetic, which lowers the magnetic signature (against mines, torpedoes). Angular design reduces its radar signature / radar cross section. Gun barrel can be folded into the turret to reduce its radar cross section.
Thanks; it means PNS Azmat is somewhat radar stealthy, but does not appear to be completely stealthy.

Certainly more stealthy than the ships it is intended to replace (e.g. Shanghai, Hainan and Osa classes)

I am hopeful that PN would be looking to add additional 5 of these to our PN fleet and all these 5 would be constructed at KE&SWs. INSHA ALLAH and Ameen.
369112-PNSAzmatphotopr-1335214273-544-640x480.jpg

RMplz.jpg

PNS+Azmat+Fast+Attack+Missile+Craft+%2528FAMC%2529  +Pakistan+Navy+Chinese+People%25E2%2580%2599s+Libe  ration+Army+%2528PLA%2529+chief+of+staff+of+a+mari  time++East+China+Sea+Fleet+PLA+Navy+antiship+missi  le+8+c802a+803+Ahmed+%25283%2529.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its PNS dasht not dahsat can some body confirm with navy guys dahshat does not make any sense

it looks like an air def system in last video at 1:25

it looks like an air def system in last video at 1:25

So do you believe that PN/KE&SWs should look towards producing another 5 of these type??? As we need such FACs and about 15 of them at least should be in fleet till 2022. I can't understand why PN haven't gone for 7 of these like building 6 in Pakistan.

Thanks; it means PNS Azmat is somewhat radar stealthy, but does not appear to be completely stealthy.
Well, since there are still some things we are unable to assess.... I'ld be cautious in passing judgement about stealthiness of this vessel, both in conservative and progressive p.o.v.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom