What's new

Please build more expressways in China

@Bussard Ramjet We have a lot of expressways, highways and city rapid roads(far from enough) but are still suffering from traffic jams and lack of rapid transportation. Once built, once full. What's your coping mechanism? I am really curious about how Indians travel from one place to another except for Indian railway.

Do you seriously think India having only 1200 km of expressways? Less than Pakistan?
1200 km is less than the distance between Chennai and Delhi.

The reality is that we have a different categorization.

In India's case, Expressways are only those roads that are access restricted. That means that they are direct point to point without access to traffic in between. This allows the traffic to remain smooth and fast, since you don't have any disturbance in between. These kind of roads are only built for very nearby cities (less than 100km).
For example, there are two cities Mumbai and Pune, and an expressway connecting them. It is around 100km, but has no connectivity between to any village, other city etc. That is ensured by wiring and fencings, as well as elevations.

Expressways
Main article: National Expressway (India)

440px-Mumbai_Pune_ExpresswayDec2007.jpg

Mumbai Pune Expressway
Expressways make up approximately 1,208 km (751 mi) of India's road network, as of 2013.[29][30] These high-speed roads are four-lane or six-lane, predominantly access controlled. The expressways in use are:

• Greater Noida – Agra Yamuna Expressway (165 kilometres)
  • Ahmedabad Vadodara Expressway (95 kilometres)
  • Mumbai-Pune Expressway (93 kilometres)
  • Jaipur-Kishangarh Expressway (90 kilometres)
  • Allahabad Bypass Expressway (86 kilometres)
  • Durgapur Expressway (65 kilometres)
  • Ambala Chandigarh Expressway (35 kilometres)
  • Chennai Bypass Expressway (32 kilometres)
  • Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway (28 kilometres)
  • NOIDA-Greater NOIDA Expressway (24 kilometres)
  • Delhi-NOIDA Flyway (23 kilometres)
  • Mumbai Nashik Expressway (150 kilometers)
  • PVNR Hyderabad Airport Expressway (12 kilometres)
  • Hyderabad ORR Expressway (150 kilometres)
  • Guntur-Vijayawada Outer ring road Expressway (46 Kilometeres) Outer Ring Road, Guntur & Vijayawada
  • Coimbatore Bypass expressway(28 kilometres)

Most of our mainstream roads, 4 or 6 laned, are called National Highways. These are not control restricted. These are the main roads which connect the country, all the cities etc.

The main highways running through the length and breadth of the country connecting major ports, state capitals, large industrial and tourist centres, etc. National Highways in India are designated as NH followed by the highway number. Indian national highways are further classified based on the width of carriageway of the highway.

As of March 2012, India had completed and placed in use the following newly built highways:[5]

• 5,846 kilometers of its 4-lane Golden Quadrilateral highway,
  • 6,310 kilometres of its 4-lane North–South and East–West Corridor highway,
  • 353 kilometres of 4-lane port connectivity highways,
  • 4,553 kilometres of 4-lane inter-capital highways,
  • 961 kilometres of 4-lane bypass and other national highways.
The above 17,700 kilometres of highways connect most of the major manufacturing centres, commercial and cultural cities of India.[33]

The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) is the authority responsible for the development, maintenance and management of National Highways entrusted to it. The NHAI is undertaking the developmental activities under National Highways Development Project (NHDP) in 5 phases. The NHAI is also responsible for implementing other projects on National Highways, primarily road connectivity to major ports in India.

As of June 2012, under Phase I, II, III and V of India's national effort has already finished and put in use about 18,000 kilometres of 4/6 lane highways. The country is in process of building an additional 33,441 kilometres of 4 to 6 lanes, international quality highways throughout India. Of this target, about 13,700 kilometres of modern highways were under implementation in June 2012, and about 18,000 kilometres of highways have been identified for contract award.[6] India road building rate has accelerated in recent years and averaged about 11 kilometers per day in second half of 2011. The country targets to build 600 kilometers of modern roads every month through 2014.

National Highway classification[6][34]
Lanes Length (km) Percentage
Single Lane / Intermediate lane 18,350 26%
Double lane 36031 51%
Four Lane/Six lane/Eight Lane 16,553 23%

Total 70,934 100%

Then we also have state highways, that are built by state governments some of which are pretty good.

Total Roads: (List of countries by road network size - Wikiwand

This is a list of countries by total road network size of both paved and unpaved.

road.jpg

I am now stuck on G3 national expressway, in a coach from Buddhist Jiuhua Mountain to the provincial capital of Anhui Province in Central China. Hungry, thirsty, tired after climbing mountains for two days, I may have to spend several hours here, fifty kilometers from my destination.

Building infrastructure is not merely for today's need. And now this 2000-km main artery(Beijing to Fuzhou) cannot even handle today's Friday travel rush, how to cope with ten years later?
View attachment 215526

View attachment 215527

View attachment 215528

View attachment 215530

Haha funny buddy :D

Do you seriously think India having only 1200 km of expressways? Less than Pakistan?

In India's case, Expressways are only those roads that are access restricted. That means that they are direct point to point without access to traffic in between. This allows the traffic to remain smooth and fast, since you don't have any disturbance in between. These kind of roads are only built for very nearby cities (less than 100km).
For example, there are two cities Mumbai and Pune, and an expressway connecting them. It is around 100km, but has no connectivity between to any village, other city etc. That is ensured by wiring and fencings, as well as elevations.

Expressways

Mumbai Pune Expressway
Expressways make up approximately 1,208 km (751 mi) of India's road network, as of 2013.[29][30] These high-speed roads are four-lane or six-lane, predominantly access controlled. The expressways in use are:

• Guntur-Vijayawada Outer ring road Expressway (46 Kilometeres) Outer Ring Road, Guntur & Vijayawada

Most of our mainstream roads, 4 or 6 laned, are called National Highways. These are not control restricted. These are the main roads which connect the country, all the cities etc.

The main highways running through the length and breadth of the country connecting major ports, state capitals, large industrial and tourist centres, etc. National Highways in India are designated as NH followed by the highway number. Indian national highways are further classified based on the width of carriageway of the highway.

As of March 2012, India had completed and placed in use the following newly built highways:[5]

The above 17,700 kilometres of highways connect most of the major manufacturing centres, commercial and cultural cities of India.[33]

The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) is the authority responsible for the development, maintenance and management of National Highways entrusted to it. The NHAI is undertaking the developmental activities under National Highways Development Project (NHDP) in 5 phases. The NHAI is also responsible for implementing other projects on National Highways, primarily road connectivity to major ports in India.

As of June 2012, under Phase I, II, III and V of India's national effort has already finished and put in use about 18,000 kilometres of 4/6 lane highways. The country is in process of building an additional 33,441 kilometres of 4 to 6 lanes, international quality highways throughout India. Of this target, about 13,700 kilometres of modern highways were under implementation in June 2012, and about 18,000 kilometres of highways have been identified for contract award.[6] India road building rate has accelerated in recent years and averaged about 11 kilometers per day in second half of 2011. The country targets to build 600 kilometers of modern roads every month through 2014.

Double lane 36031 51%

Total 70,934 100%

Then we also have state highways, that are built by state governments some of which are pretty good.

This is a list of countries by total road network size of both paved and unpaved.

View attachment 215601

Oh pls. I have visited China and I know how their roads, expressways, city roads, highways are like. They are much better than us. And moreover, their infrastructure is way too ahead of us . It shall take 20 ears for us to match the kind of infrastructure China has now.

And Distance between Chennai and Delhi is more than 2000 km

Haha funny buddy :D

Oh pls. I have visited China and I know how their roads, expressways, city roads, highways are like. They are much better than us. And moreover, their infrastructure is way too ahead of us . It shall take 20 ears for us to match the kind of infrastructure China has now.

And Distance between Chennai and Delhi is more than 2000 km

I am not saying their infrastructure is not better. Just saying that our lengths of major roads are for sure far greater than 1300 km, simply because expressway is a very narrow category of roads. If you include all motorable 4 lane roads the length would come to be about 25000 km.

So this is my estimate for major roads. China- 111000 km and India 25000 km.

I am not saying their infrastructure is not better. Just saying that our lengths of major roads are for sure far greater than 1300 km, simply because expressway is a very narrow category of roads. If you include all motorable 4 lane roads the length would come to be about 25000 km.

So this is my estimate for major roads. China- 111000 km and India 25000 km.

I am not sure about the lengths though. But the major chinese cities are connected by 8 lane roads and bypass small towns and cities through fly overs and bridges. Once nearnig a city that 8 lane becomes 10 lane, and still traffic is more.

I have never seen 10 lane expressways in India.

Expressways

Mumbai Pune Expressway

Double lane 36031 51%

Total 70,934 100%

View attachment 215601
The definition of road and expressway in China is different. We in most cases take at least 2-lane paved road(cement or asphalt) into account, including national/provincial expressway, national/provincial highway(similar to national highway in India), county highway, village roads, all denominated with a number. If we use the similar calculation method in India, China has at least twofold of our recognized roads.

Provincial highway in Central China, connecting counties and important towns to cities.
屏幕快照 2015-04-18 09.51.43.png

County road in Central China, connecting villages to the county town.
屏幕快照 2015-04-18 09.36.20.png

Village road in Central China, connecting different groups of a village(A village is comprised of several groups)
屏幕快照 2015-04-18 09.36.08.png

This won't be calculated, since it is within a village, not from one village to another
屏幕快照 2015-04-18 09.39.39.png

p.s. The above photos were all taken this week.

Last edited:
The definition of road and expressway in China is different. We in most cases take at least 2-lane PAVED road(cement or asphalt) into account, including national/provincial expressway, national/provincial highway(similar to national highway in India), county highway, village roads, all denominated with a number. If we use the similar calculation method in India, China has approximately 9000000 km.

Provincial highway in Central China, connecting counties and important towns to cities.
View attachment 215668

County road in Central China, connecting villages to the county town.
View attachment 215665

Village road in Central China, connecting different groups of a village(A village is comprised of several groups)
View attachment 215664

This won't be calculated, since it is within a village, not from one village to another
View attachment 215666
p.s. The above photos were all taken this week.
How we classify roads, freeway are based on international standards. Not sure if indian standards of roads match world standards?

I am not sure about the lengths though. But the major chinese cities are connected by 8 lane roads and bypass small towns and cities through fly overs and bridges. Once nearnig a city that 8 lane becomes 10 lane, and still traffic is more.

I have never seen 10 lane expressways in India.
No matter how many roads are built, always full especially in peak hours. But metro construction is too slow, especially in Central China. My city has 10 million habitants, but from 2003-2014 only 3 lines were finished. My suggestion for India is to build build build when everything is affordable. Now, building expressway and metro are super expensive in China, at least half of the investments are for compensation of people who lose their lands or houses. (My department will be demolished next year for metro and CBD, and I will receive a department worth of 2.5 million yuan and extra money). The lesson is you think you have done a lot but the reality is no one is satisfied.

How we classify roads, freeway are based on international standards. Not sure if indian standards of roads match world standards?
This photo was taken when I took a coach to Shexian County in Anhui Province
The red is not a road but a lane. The blue one is a village road.
屏幕快照 2015-04-18 10.07.16.png

No matter how many roads are built, always full especially in peak hours. But metro construction is too slow, especially in Central China. My city has 10 million habitants, but from 2003-2014 only 3 lines were finished. My suggestion for India is to build build build when everything is affordable. Now, building expressway and metro are super expensive in China, at least half of the investments are for compensation of people who lose their lands or houses. (My department will be demolished next year for metro and CBD, and I will receive a department worth of 2.5 million yuan and extra money). The lesson is you think you have done a lot but the reality is no one is satisfied.
I worry about the craft in this frenetical construction that Indian work force could provides

Yes, I think india would have considered that a road as well as other countless dirt roads as expressway
In Chinese, 路&公路 is different. We only calculate 公路. Number is not for showing off, it's about need.

I worry about the craft in this frenetical construction that Indian work force could provides
They need expertise from abroad. My province Hubei has one of the best teams in building best expressways in geologically complicated regions.
6e52c9a7g952bc299f0a2&690.jpeg

560 metres from the valley, the highest suspension bridge in the world(Hubei section of G42 Shanghai-Chengdu national expressway)
55f7ff23xce6dce4be121&690.jpeg
W020100419498008156795.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom