What's new

Pakistani patients facing heavy odds in India

What are you talking about? Govt should never step in. If there is money to make more and more hospitals would come up pushing the prices down. We had enough of government intervention until 1991. We weren't advancing as fast as we do now because most prices were set artificially down driving down the competition. All Govt needs to do is make sure they are not colluding among themselves.

If you have stayed long enough in the US, you would quickly realize that it is not the case. There are a ton of hospitals around all providing equally professional healthcare equal to the best in the world, but have you ever had a look at the costs?

The issue is that if these private hospitals are left unregulated, they start pushing the prices up, and since already the cost of healthcare is already high most people would end up buying insurances and once the private hospitals have enough "clientele" who have health insurance, they will keep on pushing the health care costs since the insurance companies wouldn't be haggling with each and every rupee on the bill.

What needs to be done is to prepare different categories of hospitals and have them certified by the govt, once they are certified, the govt can prescribe a fair value cost range for medical treatment at such places. Already the insurance companies are doing so in India and deciding on pre negotiated rates, but without much regulation from the govt it is going to go the US healthcare way.

Come on..They are not running Hospitals for charity, are they? India is not a social welfare society like US. Govt doesn't pay them anything for helping the poor. Its okay if they do it from good of their heart but making it mandatory is absurd.

The private hospitals get several tax concessions and cheap land costs in prime central locations from the govt, so they are socially obligated to share a part of their facilities to the masses.

The private hospitals get several tax concessions and cheap land costs in prime central locations from the govt, so they are socially obligated to share a part of their facilities to the masses.

To Indian masses, not Pakistani or any other masses.

Sad to hear about the deaths. I think with India advanced surgeons in the world and good medical care they have got going prehaps they should teach us Pakistanis we can benefit from it and it would help stable our relationships. However i don't like India's hospital running system where they outcast the poor people. It happens in Pakistan even but in India it's a really problem.

Sad to hear about the deaths. I think with India advanced surgeons in the world and good medical care they have got going prehaps they should teach us Pakistanis we can benefit from it and it would help stable our relationships. However i don't like India's hospital running system where they outcast the poor people. It happens in Pakistan even but in India it's a really problem.

If we teach you, how will we make money?

we have government hospitals which are supposed to be only for poor..private hospitals are too costly for poors...so they wont even care to go there unless they are supported by some NGO....but problem with government hospitals is that there are too many people to be treated with too much less staff and time.

To Indian masses, not Pakistani or any other masses.

Of course, it is for the Indian masses I am talking about, any other person from outside would have to pay the full costs. Again some cases need to be looked at from humanitarian angle as well, not just for our neighbors but from other poorer countries as well... it should depend on the hospital management.

Of course, it is for the Indian masses I am talking about, any other person from outside would have to pay the full costs. Again some cases need to be looked at from humanitarian angle as well, not just for our neighbors but from other poorer countries as well... it should depend on the hospital management.

That depends on affirmative action and not legislative action.

And you can't force anyone when it comes to affirmative action.

Sad to hear about the deaths. I think with India advanced surgeons in the world and good medical care they have got going prehaps they should teach us Pakistanis we can benefit from it and it would help stable our relationships. However i don't like India's hospital running system where theyoutcast the poor people. It happens in Pakistan even but in India it's a really problem.

Hmm thats a problem really......In our country only those people come to govt hospitals who can not go any where else (comprising of most complicated cases and hence best doctors are produced and practice here)....or those whos have some jaan-pehchan somewhere in the medical system otherwise many govt. hopitals are not for ordinary folks.....

But yeah though overstretched to limits doctors do try to do the best possibe under given circumstances.....

If we teach you, how will we make money?

the best solution is pakistaini govt should subsidize the cost of medical expenses, as the report says there are around 100 patients around the year, the pak govt should subsidise at least 75% medical rates.

The Indian Govt. should grant the visa to the patients within 2 days for 2 people (patient and guardian)

the pakistani patients should widen their approach for the govt hospitals in India

I dont think our govt hospitals are any less than any big pvt hospitals in the country....infact I can bet that we have some of the best govt hopsitals in asia...earlier I remmeber the Govt hospitals used to be dirty with less facilities , but in last decade or so, would say,govt hospitals have shown remarkable progress in those areas.

PM orders liver transplant centre opening by June
Our correspondent
Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Islamabad: Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani has set a May-end deadline for operationalisation of the country s 1st Liver Diseases and Transplant Centre at Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS), Islamabad.

During a meeting at the Prime Minister s House, Gilani directed the Health Ministry that the facility should begin operations in June and that its services should be of world standards. He also issued directions for the hiring of best medical professionals for the centre.

He said poor and needy patients should be offered free treatment at the centre and to identify such people, a board made of eminent individuals from various fields should be formed.

The prime minister had inaugurated work on the transplant centre on November 4 last year. The Prime Minister s Programme for Prevention and Control of Hepatitis is supervising the project for which Gilani had announced a Rs200 million one-time grant last year.

Man! 32 Lakhs? If someday I need my liver to get transplanted, I would have to sell both my kidneys first. Damn! #2 Lakhs is some amount. On top of that, taxes on medications and diagnosis have increased.

na na... 32 lack is not true.. it costs 9lacks in my college. the cost can be reduced further. the main problem is availability of suitable liver which your body accepts. and liver transplant is not a joke so that few doc. flew to pak and teach them how to do it. it requires 2years of training and years of practice plus proper instruments and facilities.

Liver transplant & bone marrow are two very complex things. Al though i am not a medical professional i had worked in a hospital in india which specializes in kidney, liver & bone marrow transplant. 32 lakhs i don't think it costs that much may be that's article quoted PAK rupee terms. Liver transplant is risky because both donor & patient have to be taken care. First is finding ideal donor, then operating. After both have to be given suppressants, liver is the main organ that process our digestion. So properly monitored food & care is to be taken regularly under doctors watch. it requires dieticians etc. even more complex one is bone marrow, success rate is very low and in india only cmc, vellore is famous for it.

I had this lasik surgery, when i was in gulf i had gone to one german centre there, they have done tests and told it would cost 6000 SAR, but they are not sure that it will be 100% success, i came to india and gone to one doctor in hyderabad, you know what it costed me Rs. 1 lakh, first day they counducted test found suitable, asked me to come next day, i paid amnt, surgery finished in 30 mins, next 1 hr i was home.India has good doctors & medical facilities... to get them we have to spend also a lot. Medical equipment are expensive too. We have to also keep in mind, the risk they have, when some thing goes negative, they will pay heavily....

Back
Top Bottom