What's new

PAKISTAN WIN WORLD CUP 2009!!

IPL teams hope to field Pakistan players again.

Pakistan's title win in the ICC World Twenty20 has sparked a buzz among the IPL franchises who are now hoping that players from the victorious team will be available to play in the league next year. It may happen sooner rather than later: Sohail Tanvir could play for his IPL franchise next month, when Rajasthan Royals, the 2008 champions, play Middlesex at Lord's in a one-off game.

Manoj Badale, the Royals co-owner, told Cricinfo that Tanvir, who was part of Rajasthan's IPL-winning team last year, will play the game on July 6, "subject to availability". The match between Rajasthan and Middlesex Panthers, last year's English Twenty20 champions, will take place two days before the first Ashes Test and is being organised by the British Asian Trust. However, Pakistan are scheduled to start their Test series against Sri Lanka in Galle on July 4. Tanvir does not figure in the 15-member squad for the series while Akmal, Rajasthan's other Pakistan player, has been chosen to represent the country.

The IPL, meanwhile, is yet to decide on allowing Pakistani players to play the next IPL in India and franchise officials said that they hoped for some clarity to emerge on the issue after political tensions between India and Pakistan prevented those players from participating in this year's competition.

Joy Bhattacharya, team director of Kolkata Knight Riders, said all the IPL teams would "definitely welcome them back" if Pakistan players were made available next year. Amrit Mathur, chief operating officer of Delhi Daredevils, said they would "look at recruiting more players" from the World Twenty20-winning team, if such an opportunity arose. Ray Jennings, coach of Royal Bangalore Challengers, said that the return of Pakistan players would be a "very good thing" that will strengthen the system.

Eleven Pakistani players, including Shahid Afridi and Umar Gul, the stars of Pakistan's World Twenty20 campaign, were recruited by the Kolkata, Rajasthan, Delhi, Hyderabad and Bangalore franchises before the inaugural IPL. However, the franchises opted to retain the contracts of only four of them - Akmal and Tanvir (Rajasthan), Misbah-ul-Haq (Bangalore) and Gul (Kolkata) - after it became clear that they would not be able to play in the second season of the league.

Even these four contracts are on a suspended status after the terror attacks in Mumbai last year led to a chill in political ties between India and Pakistan. In fact, no Pakistani team has been invited for this October's Champions League, the multi-nation, inter-club competition jointly organised by the boards of India, South Africa and Australia. The BCCI has made it clear that the availability of Pakistan players to play in India - where the first tournament will be held - depends on clearance from both governments.

"We have always wanted the Pakistani players," Bhattacharya said. "Gul, especially, is a valuable player for Kolkata. Why only Kolkata? I am sure every IPL team would welcome them back. But it depends entirely on the IPL. We are aware that there are extraneous factors that will influence any decision on this issue."

Kolkata also had Shoaib Akhtar and Salman Butt in their squad in 2008 but chose to terminate the two contracts. "Pakistan has some of the best Twenty20 players and the title win in England only proved that," Bhattacharya said. "To a large extent, the format suits players from Pakistan. Fast swing bowling and natural, uncomplicated batting is what Twenty20 demand and Pakistan have those."

Mathur said that Delhi hoped for clarity to emerge on the issue soon said that the franchises would discuss the issue with the IPL. "We had two Pakistan players in the first year and if they are made available next year, we will look at signing more players from the Pakistan team," he said.

Delhi had signed Shoaib Malik, the former Pakistan captain, and fast bowler Mohammad Asif in 2008 but terminated both contracts. Asif's contract was terminated after the player was banned for a year following an adverse dope result during the inaugural IPL edition.

Deccan Chargers, the IPL champions this year, had signed Shahid Afridi for US$675,000 in 2008 but chose to terminate his contract this year when they were informed that he would not be allowed to play. "There is no point looking back," PK Iyer, the managing director of Chargers' parent company, Deccan Holdings, said. "The South Africans were the flavour of the season this year, and it could be the Pakistanis next time. But it depends on the IPL."

Jennings, who coached Bangalore to the IPL final this year, said that Misbah is a "key player" for his team. "It would be a very good thing if they are made available," Jennings said. "The more players that are available, the better it is for the system. But having said that, it is for the IPL to decide on this issue."

Rajasthan had terminated the contract of Younis Khan, and the Pakistan captain announced on Sunday that he was won't play the Twenty20 format any longer.

Rung Badalta hai Aasman Kesay Kesay!!!!:pakistan::pakistan:

It felt like eid.........massive procession of cars with pakistan flags being waved everywhere.

Well done pakistan.......well done younis khan:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

This win was not just a cricket win but really a major morale boost for the whole nation after the sadness of world cup being stopped from being held in pak and people refusing to play in our country what a better way to get back at them and slap them in the face by becoming world champions !!! after all the crap the country's been through lately it was awesome to see pakistanis so happy and celebrating all over pakistan and all over the world .The win could not have come at a better time.This is I swear victory never tasted so sweet this was not just a world cup win in cricket but also win for pakistan as a country.

2ecd2e3ea628daf23ac57de136f5face.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fad34f340fc242b601257498cc3c41f5.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
badd7a3e52c7d18306e65fc615b6fcc6.gif

Awesome performance!!!

Yippie!!! :yahoo::victory:

Anyone remembers "Let's see who rules the world"? It's been playing in my head since last night... Here's a reminder.

"The world is coming down, the flags are up,
Who's going to be number one,
Who's going to take out the cup,
Who'll be, who'll be the king,
It's a once in a life-time chance,
To rule the world,
Let's see who rules the world" :bounce:

Way to go Pakistan cricket team! :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to congratulate all members of Defence.pk, my team, my nation and all cricket loving people around the world with this great 'n sweet victory.

Wow...what a day...what a match...what a spirit! :pakistan:

I dedicate this victory to all friends of Pakistan with this great song: We are the Champions.

I've paid my dues
Time after time
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime
And bad mistakes
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face
But I've come through

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end
We are the champions
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions - of the world
:pakistan:

I've taken my bows
And my curtain calls
You brought me fame and fortuen and everything that goes with it
I thank you all

But it's been no bed of roses
No pleasure cruise
I consider it a challenge before the whole human race -
And I ain't gonna lose

We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting - till the end
We are the champions -
We are the champions
No time for losers
'Cause we are the champions - of the world
:pakistan:

Last edited by a moderator:
Im going in a few weeks, will be looking forward to 14th august.

great great. same here. im off to pakistan in the first week of august. this is the longest i have stayed away. 13 months. meanin i missed my last 14th august.

^^AliFarooq & ajpirzada: Me too missing dhools and bhangras.

u r most welcome to join this two men nostalgic club. :cheers:
any plan to go back for a visit or something coz we two will be there for this comin 14th august??

Thanks alot for that one Neo, how could I have missed that one. Perfect song.
Alifarooq is right, after watching that video of all Pakistanis watching the match in cinema and celebrating all together, I miss my country so much!
I have a hard time controlling myself..........!!! :cry::cry:

c01e9e47f1feb92943c5cdd1be1569f5.jpg

7c0dd50c908bec1e14a3a28d336f75fb.jpg

I was in Le Bourget mate visiting Paris Air Show 2009.
Wish I was there to celebrate with you guys. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom