What's new

Pakistan will launch a two-seater version of JF-17 - Induction of JF-17B in 2017

Russian media: Pakistan will launch a two-seater version of the JF B or with French engine
Source: World Wide Web Editor: Lin 2015-03-02 View count: 3
20150302154735kkmn.jpg

Two-seater version of the JF-17 computer users drawn renderings
俄媒:中巴将推出双座版枭龙B 或配法国发动机
俄媒:中巴将推出双座版枭龙B 或配法国发动机-中新网
According to the Russian military industrial complex March 2 News reported that China and Pakistan will jointly launch a two-seat version of the light supersonic fighter aircraft JF-17B / FC-1B at this year's International Aviation and Aerospace Exhibition in Paris, France, this type of aircraft may be equipped France M88-2 engine modifications.

It is reported that, as early as three years ago in the joint development of Pakistan reported that the "Fierce Dragon" fighter of the two-seater version. The French version of the aircraft may be equipped appropriately reduced weight (900 kg) of the M88-2 engine modifications, the prototype M88 twin engine combination is the French "Rafale" fighter standard powerplant.

The new variant M88-2 engine without afterburner thrust 4970 kg, 7650 kg afterburning thrust, the main effect is technical maintenance. But some experts worry that the next, without investing heavily modified aircraft structures, and has a second case of cabin crew, M88-2 engine can integrate into the "Fierce Dragon -B" fighter dubious.

Unofficial sources, the two-seater version of "Fierce Dragon -B" range of 800 km (1200 km range single-seat version), you also need to approximately 1000 km. Another reported that, FC-1B will be equipped with air refueling probe

Pakistani-Chinese consortium will present at the 50th International Aerospace Exhibition in Paris (France) Double light supersonic fighter version of the JF-17B / FC-1B, reports aereo.jor.br 27th of February.
Двухместный вариант JF-17 может быть оснащен французским ТРДДФ М88-2 - ВПК.name
Reports on the development coupe version of the aircraft appeared three years ago. This option can be equipped with a lightweight weight (900 kg), a modification of the French M88-2 turbofans (bottom photo). The original version of the M88 in the package is a Double Motor powerplant fighter Rafale.

M88-2.jpg

M88-2 turbofans (France)

Thrust without afterburner M88-2 4970 kg, 7650 kg on the afterburner, the main effect of the setting of this engine is to simplify maintenance.However, there are doubts that M88-2 can be integrated into the JF-17 without costly modifications of the aircraft structure, besides having a second cabin for the crew.

Unofficial sources claim that the range of two-seater will be 800 km (Single - 1200 km), it is necessary to achieve the parameter of about 1000 km. It is reported that FC-1B will be equipped with a barbell to refuel in the air.

7uoemcH.jpg
So rumours are correct abt foreign sales. Who else other than Argies????

Russian media: Pakistan will launch a two-seater version of the JF B or with French engine
Source: World Wide Web Editor: Lin 2015-03-02 View count: 3
20150302154735kkmn.jpg

Two-seater version of the JF-17 computer users drawn renderings
俄媒:中巴将推出双座版枭龙B 或配法国发动机
俄媒:中巴将推出双座版枭龙B 或配法国发动机-中新网
According to the Russian military industrial complex March 2 News reported that China and Pakistan will jointly launch a two-seat version of the light supersonic fighter aircraft JF-17B / FC-1B at this year's International Aviation and Aerospace Exhibition in Paris, France, this type of aircraft may be equipped France M88-2 engine modifications.

It is reported that, as early as three years ago in the joint development of Pakistan reported that the "Fierce Dragon" fighter of the two-seater version. The French version of the aircraft may be equipped appropriately reduced weight (900 kg) of the M88-2 engine modifications, the prototype M88 twin engine combination is the French "Rafale" fighter standard powerplant.

The new variant M88-2 engine without afterburner thrust 4970 kg, 7650 kg afterburning thrust, the main effect is technical maintenance. But some experts worry that the next, without investing heavily modified aircraft structures, and has a second case of cabin crew, M88-2 engine can integrate into the "Fierce Dragon -B" fighter dubious.

Unofficial sources, the two-seater version of "Fierce Dragon -B" range of 800 km (1200 km range single-seat version), you also need to approximately 1000 km. Another reported that, FC-1B will be equipped with air refueling probe

Pakistani-Chinese consortium will present at the 50th International Aerospace Exhibition in Paris (France) Double light supersonic fighter version of the JF-17B / FC-1B, reports aereo.jor.br 27th of February.
Двухместный вариант JF-17 может быть оснащен французским ТРДДФ М88-2 - ВПК.name
Reports on the development coupe version of the aircraft appeared three years ago. This option can be equipped with a lightweight weight (900 kg), a modification of the French M88-2 turbofans (bottom photo). The original version of the M88 in the package is a Double Motor powerplant fighter Rafale.

M88-2.jpg

M88-2 turbofans (France)

Thrust without afterburner M88-2 4970 kg, 7650 kg on the afterburner, the main effect of the setting of this engine is to simplify maintenance.However, there are doubts that M88-2 can be integrated into the JF-17 without costly modifications of the aircraft structure, besides having a second cabin for the crew.

Unofficial sources claim that the range of two-seater will be 800 km (Single - 1200 km), it is necessary to achieve the parameter of about 1000 km. It is reported that FC-1B will be equipped with a barbell to refuel in the air.

7uoemcH.jpg

Economy is shrinking day by day. How can we pay for French systems if we are not able to pay for Chinese ones :) I think French deal might not be materialized.

p1523580.jpg

AVIC showed off a twin-seat model of an FC-1/JF-17 at Paris. (IHS/Patrick Allen)

Aviation Industries of China (AVIC) revealed a twin-seat model of its Chengdu Aircraft Corporation FC-1 export fighter at the Paris Air Show 2013.

The single-seat version is co-developed and co-produced by Pakistan, which calls it the JF-17 Thunder. A two seat FC-1 has been contemplated since at least 2004, although AVIC officials would not say when a prototype would appear.

Officials refused to comment directly on the two-seat variant's potential performance other than to say that would be only "slightly less" capable in most parameters. They said that the twin-seat FC-1 compensated for the loss of fuel space - and related range - that second seat created by using an elevated and enlarged spine that also conferred more stability and allowed for a smaller vertical stabiliser.

Paris Air Show 2013: Twin-seat FC-1/JF-17 breaks cover - IHS Jane's 360

px7Xb6N.jpg
mCAGoDq.jpg
NqWhplQ.jpg

This was the previous year's speculative data for a dual seater with non french engine

correct me if I'm wrong

I think its too late for French systems now. The Chinese systems have matured at almost same level, makes more sense to evaluate Russian sub systems. Unless they need to seriously shed weight as French systems might likely be more compact/lighter.

For an engine replacement I would support the EJ200 because of Saudi stake plus Turkey has made a MOU to locally produce a thrust vectoring version of the EJ200 for its TFX 5th Generation Air Superiority Fighter program.

RD-33/93
  • Length: 4,229 mm (166.50 in)
  • Diameter: 1,040 mm (40.94 in)
  • Dry weight: 1,055 kg (2,326 lb)
Snecma M-88
  • Length: 3538 mm (139.3 in)
  • Diameter: 696 mm (27.5 in) inlet
  • Dry weight: 897 kg (1,977 lb)
EJ200
  • Length: 157 inches (4.0 m)
  • Diameter: 29 inches (0.74 m)
  • Dry weight: 2,180 lb (989 kg)

However according to this official brochure the RD-93 has a higher thrust than both the M-88 and EJ200. I've read its at an expense of reduced engine life of 2200 hrs compared to 4000hrs of latest RD-33 variant. Even with afterburner off the thrust is pretty impressive at 75-79kn
n3vu4x.jpg

Newer Block-2s might likely have the up rated spec engines.

Last edited:
I have said it a few times during the last month in many posts, that the French are done with the Indian influence and so are the Russians. Both know China and Pakistan have a few projects on the cards where they can easily make a few billion a year. Plus they would gain indirect customers who may be China or Pakistan focused. Result is both, the Russians and the French selling their military equipment to Pakistan (and indirectly to China and others).

Both Russia and France want a piece of the trade route and iron, gold, shale oil and gas extraction in the near future in Pakistan. Which by itself is another few billions a year easy for many years to come. So this entire situation has taken Pakistan in a different direction that a year ago. 3-5 years from now, outside of the US and Germany due to their strict control and policies, no one else will be saying no to selling weapons to Pakistan. If enough cash is provided, even the US will sell advanced weapons to Pakistan. Cash talks, bullsheet walks!!

All this actually depends if Pakistan can eradicate terrorism. It will give Pakistan much more influence in international diplomacy.

I can't believe this, it may have been possible 6-7 years back to develop something like the mirage-4000, but now seeing the future with J-31, it seems too late for this kind of project. Unless the plan is to restrict current JF-17's in fewer numbers but we are in urgent need of replacements, and this two-seater french armed JF-17 project could take 4-5 years atleast before the start of production. Around about when J-31 would be on table, doesn't make sense to me.

Pakistan always maintained that it doesn't require a twin seat JF-17 since pilots can easily transition to the type.
If the news is true then it must be to cater for other customers.......Argentina for example has no experience of operating Chinese equipments.

I remember reading somehwere that a stronger engine may not necessarily be a good thing, especially as the jet's G Force ceiling is at 7 G. Let's hope they are not just wasting money.

We should rather stick with the RD-93 Series and instead opt for higher thrust variants of RD-93.infact somethinc close or in excess of 100KN

We should rather stick with the RD-93 Series and instead opt for higher thrust variants of RD-93.infact somethinc close or in excess of 100KN
yes i totally agree , wrt avionics it is good to have french ones but for engine we should stick to Russian RD 93 and its variants because of maintenance and common spare parts advantage unless we get any sizeable advantage out of french engines.

All this actually depends if Pakistan can eradicate terrorism. It will give Pakistan much more influence in international diplomacy.

I agree. Internal stability and an end to terrorism are prerequisite for Pakistan's future growth.

I can't believe this, it may have been possible 6-7 years back to develop something like the mirage-4000, but now seeing the future with J-31, it seems too late for this kind of project. Unless the plan is to restrict current JF-17's in fewer numbers but we are in urgent need of replacements, and this two-seater french armed JF-17 project could take 4-5 years atleast before the start of production. Around about when J-31 would be on table, doesn't make sense to me.

It makes perfect sense if you want to export this plane to ME countries. Remember, they don't buy planes from China. Pakistan has more influence on them than China in some regards. So if they give business to Pakistan, because at the end of the day, they still get French-Pakistan-Chinese product that has French engines, avionics and missiles ( which they are used to). All three involved (French, Pakistan, China) will make money and gain more customers. Very good marketing technique as the Europeans avionics and engines are preferred in the ME specially.

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom