What's new

Pakistan Seeks Thales Damocles Targeting Pod For JF-17 Aircraft

Would this apply to the other subsystems the Turks are developing for their F-16s? They have a photo-reconnaissance pod, SAR pod, EW pod, and even AESA radar under development.

The systems you mention don't fit in with JF17. AESA is complicated, as it requires a matching EW system, which the Turks got from BAE systems and cannot supply. Hence, AESA will remain for a supplier that can provide complete suite.

can we put these types of pods on UAVs like burraaq

Burraq already uses an indigenous E/O director and does not require a targeting pod.

If Turks can, so can we BUT our focus seems to be more on acquisitions rather than self reliance. Great accomplishment by TURKS.

That is a real tragedy. While we bought Sniper, Turks gave money to their industry to reverse engineer Lightning pod. As a result the product they developed is equivalent to most products on the market, and is nearing qualification. There is a big difference and approach and is benefiting the Turkish industry many folds. If JF17 purchases ASELPOD, this will be a big win for their avionics industry, and give them a big international boost.

AM Arain is DCAS Admin, his extension not yet announced but he might be the future VCAS. The news source is one of the bigger bluffs in recent times.

Are you sure the program is indigenous?

Reverse Engineering.

Anything that is flying on F16, the current command will be willing to consider. JF17 would likely get Aselpod if PAF gets a good deal from the Turks.
I don't think getting a good deal will be a big issue. Turkey is just at the threshold to indigenously produce high tech weapons. As time passes more systems and more deals will show up InshaAllah..

The systems you mention don't fit in with JF17. AESA is complicated, as it requires a matching EW system, which the Turks got from BAE systems and cannot supply. Hence, AESA will remain for a supplier that can provide complete suite.

Burraq already uses an indigenous E/O director and does not require a targeting pod.

That is a real tragedy. While we bought Sniper, Turks gave money to their industry to reverse engineer Lightning pod. As a result the product they developed is equivalent to most products on the market, and is nearing qualification. There is a big difference and approach and is benefiting the Turkish industry many folds. If JF17 purchases ASELPOD, this will be a big win for their avionics industry, and give them a big international boost.
Agreed, i think if turkish ASELPOD is close to Damocles then better to equip JF 17 and even other aircrafts if necessary with it.

Now PAF played a dwell helped France to final the deal of worth 9 billion dollar with India . Now Russia is waiting for us its time to acquire SU 35 and build a advance Surface to air missile weapon system ^^ . J 20 and J 31 would be a nice addition to Pakistan defense along with hypersonic drones :D
Same view here....

Dont worry we have a lot of options like 24 Su 35 with 12 su 34 heavy bomber deadly combination in 3 to 4 billion dollar we can offset Rafale fleet along with HQ 9 coming up ^^

Turkish pod is listed as 1.8 / 2 Millon dollars somewhere on their site vs other 5 to 10 million like sniper not sure about wmd pod. The difference would be I guess what is MTBF and life perhaps

Same think Rd 93 1800 to 2400 hours life vs latest f100 4000 hours and cost/price 2/3 million vs 8/ 10 million

France is never been reliable source they play with u and ur opponent remember what they did with Saddam arming him with nukes research facility and selling it's coordinates to Israel this is who IAF did operation orchid

France will always betray be aware of them they canceled our deal for jf 17 for MMRCA now no deal

Turkish pod is listed as 1.8 / 2 Millon dollars somewhere on their site vs other 5 to 10 million like sniper not sure about wmd pod. The difference would be I guess what is MTBF and life perhaps

Same think Rd 93 1800 to 2400 hours life vs latest f100 4000 hours and cost/price 2/3 million vs 8/ 10 million
A quick question. How many of these pods are needed by PAF. DO YOU need each and every JFT to have one or a few to mount as necessary are enough. If we can roughly determine our need then the rest of the questions will be easier to answer. If I purport a number of 100 for our fleet of JFT is that enough?
A

A quick question. How many of these pods are needed by PAF. DO YOU need each and every JFT to have one or a few to mount as necessary are enough. If we can roughly determine our need then the rest of the questions will be easier to answer. If I purport a number of 100 for our fleet of JFT is that enough?
A

50 pods for a fleet of 150 JFT would be my guess. One in three aircraft that is. Export customer can choose their own ratio. 50 pods are sufficient for our requirements I guess. Block-II and Block-III will number 100 I think and they are the ones more likely to receive this upgrade. If a pod costs $2 million and integration costs $1 million per aircraft, we are looking at $200 million right here. Add another $100-$150 million (plain guesstimate from me) for training,establishing repair and maintenance facilities+ spares to keep them working. That's $300-400 million right there for this upgrade. I think it's worth it.

I don't think getting a good deal will be a big issue. Turkey is just at the threshold to indigenously produce high tech weapons. As time passes more systems and more deals will show up InshaAllah..

My dear, I know Turkish industry in and out. Turkey is mostly taking transfer of technologies from the west and Israel. It is using principal integrator approach as by the west. Beneath of cloak of Turkish systems is a pedigree of a mature western or Israeli product. That said, this is still a great achievement and great development of the Turkish Arms industry, mainly as they are supported by their government for local development, and for export, centralised at SSM.

50 pods for a fleet of 150 JFT would be my guess. One in three aircraft that is. Export customer can choose their own ratio. 50 pods are sufficient for our requirements I guess. Block-II and Block-III will number 100 I think and they are the ones more likely to receive this upgrade. If a pod costs $2 million and integration costs $1 million per aircraft, we are looking at $200 million right here. Add another $100-$150 million (plain guesstimate from me) for training,establishing repair and maintenance facilities+ spares to keep them working. That's $300-400 million right there for this upgrade. I think it's worth it.

Are there 30 pods for 70 F16s? No. Pods are payloads and bought for specific missions. I doubt PAF requirement is 50 pods. 10-15 would be maximum bought for Pakistan.

My dear, I know Turkish industry in and out. Turkey is mostly taking transfer of technologies from the west and Israel. It is using principal integrator approach as by the west. Beneath of cloak of Turkish systems is a pedigree of a mature western or Israeli product. That said, this is still a great achievement and great development of the Turkish Arms industry, mainly as they are supported by their government for local development, and for export, centralised at SSM.

Are there 30 pods for 70 F16s? No. Pods are payloads and bought for specific missions. I doubt PAF requirement is 50 pods. 10-15 would be maximum bought for Pakistan.
PAF has 22 Sniper ATPs with another 15 on order.

http://www.lockheedmartin.ca/us/new...rtin-sniper-advanced-targeting-pod-fleet.html

Back
Top Bottom