What's new

Pakistan Seeks Thales Damocles Targeting Pod For JF-17 Aircraft

jf-17+thunder-2.jpg
China has displayed WMD-7 day/night targeting pod being marketed to the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) for its JF-17 Thunder /FC-1 Xiaolong Fighter Jet.
http://chinesemilitaryreview.blogspot.nl/2012/11/chinese-wmd-7-daynight-targeting-pod.html
http://greenstylo.blogspot.nl/2014/03/overseas-market-is-target-of-chinas-wmd.html

This has some nice pics of Damocles and Russian alternative
http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Fullback.html

jf-17+thunder-2.jpg
China has displayed WMD-7 day/night targeting pod being marketed to the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) for its JF-17 Thunder /FC-1 Xiaolong Fighter Jet.
http://chinesemilitaryreview.blogspot.nl/2012/11/chinese-wmd-7-daynight-targeting-pod.html
http://greenstylo.blogspot.nl/2014/03/overseas-market-is-target-of-chinas-wmd.html

This has some nice pics of Damocles and Russian alternative
http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Fullback.html
Hi,
Excuse me for my limited insight on this topic.

But how does the pod look at sideways, like left or right ? It seems as if though it can only upward and downward

Hi,

But how does the pod look at sideways, like left or right ? It seems as if though it can only upward and downward
I believe at the height at which its being used at, it can cover a huge area in it's field of vision. So it doesn't need to look side ways.

Hi,

WMD-7+daynight+targeting+pod+is+an+integrative+EO+detection+system,+incorporating+IR,+TV+laser+sensors,+which+can+search,+identify,+track+designatetarget+on+land+or+at+sea+by+day+&+nighPeople%27s+Liberation+Army+Air+Force+%28PLAA+%282%29.jpg

damocles3.jpg

litening3.jpg

1-damocles-targeting-pod.jpg

Ok, so the ELOP 'ball' at the forward end can go in one dimension (up and down, so to speak). But the whole forward quarter to third section can rotate in another dimension (if you looked from the front at the pod, it would rotate clockwise and counterclockwise). That should give you a 2-axis stabilized eye in the sky.

See here in this promo at 2:50

Compare these (the forward section has rotated counter clockwise from lookin up from under the right wing to looking forward left)

1065.jpg

bacg_exop_2012_61.JPG

Last edited:
I think @Bilal Khan 777 has a valid point.

Remember, at this stage the F-16s are taking on the vast majority (if not entirety) of the PAF's COIN CAS work. These targeting pods are great for close-range strikes, but most of the PAF's strike work (via JF-17) will be devoted towards long-range attacks using glide-bombs and cruise missiles. For such engagements we don't need targeting pods, rather, we'll use BeiDou-assisted INS.

I also doubt the PAF will play a major role in CAS on the Eastern front, that'll be delegated to Army Aviation (hence its pursuit for more attack helicopters). When you look at it that way, the PAF may not need more than 20 targeting pods for JF-17.

The actual sale potential of ASELPOD would be through the JF17 program. This may go up to be a huge number. First, countries will see that it has qualified to be considered by an export customer, and anyone who buys JF17 would want the pod. What may help Pakistan is to integrate a 19-21 tube 2.75" pod which can fire APKWS, LGR, or DAGR, enabling JF17 more suitable for some potential customer countries. The current qualified/ordered weapons payload does not require a ATP as they are all active seeker weapons.

For JF17 numbers, the whole idea of the POD is that only the mission aircraft takes the payload, and it does not have to hang on every aircraft adding drag. Same logic is applied to ASPJs. The payloads are purchased for operational scenarios, and then rotables/hot spares/growth.

Hi,

It would be for the reason the F16 Mafia rules the roost in pakistan airforce.

Imagine how easy it is to buy a J10, but how hard it is to maintain it. For the F16, the infrastructure is there, spares are there, expertise is there, confidence is there, so F16 wins each time.

The actual sale potential of ASELPOD would be through the JF17 program. This may go up to be a huge number. First, countries will see that it has qualified to be considered by an export customer, and anyone who buys JF17 would want the pod. What may help Pakistan is to integrate a 19-21 tube 2.75" pod which can fire APKWS, LGR, or DAGR, enabling JF17 more suitable for some potential customer countries. The current qualified/ordered weapons payload does not require a ATP as they are all active seeker weapons.

For JF17 numbers, the whole idea of the POD is that only the mission aircraft takes the payload, and it does not have to hang on every aircraft adding drag. Same logic is applied to ASPJs. The payloads are purchased for operational scenarios, and then rotables/hot spares/growth.

Imagine how easy it is to buy a J10, but how hard it is to maintain it. For the F16, the infrastructure is there, spares are there, expertise is there, confidence is there, so F16 wins each time.

The confidence is one click away from being shattered.

Hi,

You are an OLD MAN like me and still cannot use your brains. F 16 can have sanctions any time at the discretion of the U S senators and congressmen---.

I swear to you and to everyone---if I ever get a chance to be on a T V show in pakistan---I will share with the pakistani public the treason that the paf has committed against the state and once I get the opportunity---I WILL HOUND THEM---till they kill me---or I get someone hanged.

That is my promise to you----I will rake you PAF guys thru burning coals----once I get the break thru.

MK i dont disagree with you. I haven't greyed my hair at flight lines and in air all my life to be blind. In the short term J10 is a bad decision (through it will end up here in the future anyway). However, nobody takes the plunge anymore in PAF or disturbs the status quo. the greats of rafiqui, alam, and nosey are finished. Nobody holds the legacy. The status quo is F16, and nobody suggests otherwise. It takes balls like Mushaf, determination like Tanveer, and resolve like Shahid Latif to challenge the status quote and make decisions. Otherwise, you will keep seeing more F16s from old stock or factory floor ending up in Pakistan. The nation is addicted to the bloody thing. As long as they keep JF17 alive and progressing i guess we are not fully vulnerable to sanctions. Those boys leading PMO are doing a great job.

MK i dont disagree with you. I haven't greyed my hair at flight lines and in air all my life to be blind. In the short term J10 is a bad decision (through it will end up here in the future anyway). However, nobody takes the plunge anymore in PAF or disturbs the status quo. the greats of rafiqui, alam, and nosey are finished. Nobody holds the legacy. The status quo is F16, and nobody suggests otherwise. It takes balls like Mushaf, determination like Tanveer, and resolve like Shahid Latif to challenge the status quote and make decisions. Otherwise, you will keep seeing more F16s from old stock or factory floor ending up in Pakistan. The nation is addicted to the bloody thing. As long as they keep JF17 alive and progressing i guess we are not fully vulnerable to sanctions. Those boys leading PMO are doing a great job.
I am surprised we haven't seen any DSCA notices from Pakistan about used F-16s from the U.S. via EDA program. If they just want planes for flight and spare parts, shouldn't they be able to pick up those birds for a low cost? Or is there a reluctance on cacha Sam's part (like OHP frigates)?

I am surprised we haven't seen any DSCA notices from Pakistan about used F-16s from the U.S. via EDA program. If they just want planes for flight and spare parts, shouldn't they be able to pick up those birds for a low cost? Or is there a reluctance on cacha Sam's part (like OHP frigates)?

All F16s spares are available currently. The EDA aircraft from AMARC were already picked up some time and have joined.

Back
Top Bottom