What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

From a reliable insider connected to SAC, the FC-31 (land based) is progressing very slowly, which would mean there is a general lack of interest for it. But the carrier version is progressing very fast, as shown by the AVIC statement that it will fly next year. To me this shows that the J-35 and FC-31 are two separate projects than one; this means SAC is putting all its efforts towards the former rather than the latter. I think there is a very high chance the future Pakistani 5th generation fighter, whether it be AZM, will be tied to the J-35 as opposed to the FC-31. The only question is to what extent does the J-35 differ from the FC-31 (or how much better is it). This answer we will know in a few months.
But could it be that the work is slow because, ultimately, the FC-31 is meant primarily for export? So, if the PAF buys into the FC-31, the work might pick-up. OTOH, working on one project (J-35) might make a lot more sense.

But could it be that the work is slow because, ultimately, the FC-31 is meant primarily for export? So, if the PAF buys into the FC-31, the work might pick-up. OTOH, working on one project (J-35) might make a lot more sense.
In its current condition (i.e. as of late 2016/early 2017), the FC-31s export viability is not too great. Just because it is primarily for export does not mean its work should progress slowly. More likely than not, all effort has gone into the J-35, which eventually will probably have an export variant for Pakistan. The FC-31, as far as I can tell, is dead in the water. The PAF would thus much more likely choose the J-35 rather than the FC-31.

J-15s will not be exported due to its closeness to the Su-33 (even though it was based on a Ukranian T-10K prototype). Russia would understandably be quite upset if China exported this ... Pakistan's best shot is the new J-35 fighter that is going to be unveiled next year. It would be much more advanced than the J-15 is anyway.
From the magic of Money i guess.

From the magic of Money i guess.
There is no amount of money that Pakistan can reasonable offer for China to sell something that will obviously endanger military relations with Russia. We have to be reasonable here. Plus, since the J-35 will come out next year, why would Pakistan want a fourth generation carrier based fighter?

biggest bottle neck for Chinese fifth gen projects is higly efficient and high thrust engine
although Chinese are mass producing the previous gen engines(ws-10) it is yet to progress on new gen
engines

if AZM is truely an indigenous effort and clean sheet design then it wont be ready by 2035-40.. this means that PAF would need something in the interm..be it j31,j35 or j10c

biggest bottle neck for Chinese fifth gen projects is higly efficient and high thrust engine
although Chinese are mass producing the previous gen engines(ws-10) it is yet to progress on new gen
engines

if AZM is truely an indigenous effort and clean sheet design then it wont be ready by 2035-40.. this means that PAF would need something in the interm..be it j31,j35 or j10c
IMO we won't 'learn' from any off-the-shelf program, even if we manufacture it in Pakistan.

For the PAF, the main issue here isn't so much the technology or indigenous development, but economics. We simply don't have enough hard/foreign-currency to bankroll a next-gen purchase, unless we're able to source it from home.

If we sign onto the J-35, we'll aim to balance the hard currency cost through investment, counter-trade, and local sourcing.

This could be a situation where AVIC opens shop in Pakistan to build and supply J-35s to the PAF and other export buyers (it may sub-contract to PAC and other Pakistani entities, but we don't own it).

Pakistan can manufacture every bit of this fighter if the plants are owned by AVIC (i.e., the Chinese retain ownership of the IP).

This is basically CPEC, but in our defence industry.

It's a stretch of a theory, but this New York Times article actually laid it out.

According to the undisclosed proposal drawn up by the Pakistani Air Force and Chinese officials at the start of the year, a special economic zone under CPEC would be created in Pakistan to produce a new generation of fighter jets. For the first time, navigation systems, radar systems and onboard weapons would be built jointly by the countries at factories in Pakistan.
I think the above could happen if we opt for the J-35. In this case, I really don't think we'd even customize the J-35 (besides some essential stuff like Ra'ad and H2/H4-integration), just buy it as-is.

The key is what we do in parallel, and that would be Project AZM. If we want to learn fighter development, we're going to need to drive this program on our own. There's no other way. Even if we want to reach Saab's level (which is mostly engineering and integration work, not a lot of Swedish industrial inputs), we're going to need to do it alone.

To me, I see two routes: expediency (express route) and capacity-building (long-route). Instead of trying to merge the two routes (which is what we've been trying and failing at), we should keep them separate.

engines

WS-15 and WS-19 are the double "ten" engines ... meaning both of them are in the thrust to weight ratio 10 class. We will see the WS-15 soon because it is already in flight tests ... the WS-19 we may have to wait a few more years. As per the head of the Chinese Gas Turbine Institute, the WS-15 will achieve design certification between 2021 to 2023, meaning XAC will be able to produce them on batch by then.

There is no amount of money that Pakistan can reasonable offer for China to sell something that will obviously endanger military relations with Russia. We have to be reasonable here. Plus, since the J-35 will come out next year, why would Pakistan want a fourth generation carrier based fighter?
There is no USSR any more, the current Russia is not the Soviet one....China will obviously sell all the things we want cz he does not want a Ford class aircraft carrier strike group in indian ocean with F-35 steath and F/A-18 hornets not forget to mention the nuclear submarines along with it....US only needs a little bit help of Pakistan just like in cold war....And world knows how we CIA and ISI destroyed the Soviets....With already India on its side....Think again.
images (22).jpeg

There is no USSR any more, the current Russia is not Soviet one....China will obviously sell all the things we want cz he does not want a Ford class aircraft carrier strike group in indian ocean with F-35 steath and F/A-18 hornets not forget to mention the nuclear submarines....US only needs a little bit help of Pakistan just like in cold war....And world knows how we CIA and ISI destroyed the Soviets....Think again.View attachment 666543
Why does Pakistan need a carrier based fighter when it does not even operate a carrier? After all, this is the same reason why the J-15 is in service with only the Chinese navy as opposed to the air force.

Why does Pakistan need a carrier based fighter when it does not even operate a carrier? After all, this is the same reason why the J-15 is in service with only the Chinese navy as opposed to the air force.
Just to fly on defence day parade. 😁
Actually we are building our own stealth Plane in project AZM which is gonna be a twin engine fighter we need research in that scenario and the best option available for us is J-15 4.5 gen plane.... The experienced gained through it can be incorporated into over own stealth plane just like that of F-16 experience incorporated in JF-17....
here, is what we want....the trasfer of tech.

su-33 --->J-15--->Project Azm

Any questions?

Just to fly on defence day parade. 😁
Actually we are building our own stealth Plane in project AZM which is gonna be a twin engine fighter we need research in that scenario and the best option available for us is J-15 4.5 gen plane.... The experienced gained through it can be incorporated into over own stealth plane just like that of F-16 experience incorporated in JF-17....
here, is what we want....the trasfer of tech.

su-33 --->J-15--->Project Azm

Any questions?
I am sorry but fact of the matter is any Chinese flanker variant (J-11, J-16, J-15) are strictly off limits in export due to a informal agreement with Russia. After all China still wants to maintain friendly relations with its northern neighbors as both countries have had a military partnership for a very long time now. The only Chinese option available currently is the J-10CE ... maybe after next year Pakistan can explore the J-35, but anything like the J-15 is a no-no for sure.

I am sorry but fact of the matter is any Chinese flanker variant (J-11, J-16, J-15) are strictly off limits in export due to a informal agreement with Russia. After all China still wants to maintain friendly relations with its northern neighbors as both countries have had a military partnership for a very long time now. The only Chinese option available currently is the J-10CE ... maybe after next year Pakistan can explore the J-35, but anything like the J-15 is a no-no for sure.
Actually we want that specific J-15 one with
1 shorter landing and takeoff
2 high range.
3 Used as tactical bomber
As a Pakistani I suggest we should again for heaven's sake form good relationship with US and request them to share some tech of F-22 RAPTOR and after that the enemy will not see that one coming....
J-20 J-31 are not par with F-22 and F-35.All the world best aviation engineer made them these US planes.
Just like 1980 F-16s still able to fight with
Su-30 mki....

Back
Top Bottom