What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

By 2030, 10 years from now, the PN's 'large' warfighting fleet composition will be as follows:
- 12 frigates (4x Type 054A/P, 4x Ada/Jinnah-class, 4x Zulfiqar-class)
- 2 corvettes (2x Yarmook-class)
- 11 fleet submarines (8x Hangor-class, 3x Khalid-class)

This does not take into account the smaller vessels (FACs, missile boats, mini-subs and auxiliaries) that are currently in service or on order.

The PN is poised to achieve near parity with India atleast in the subsurface domain. We have to remember that for a small duration conflict, the PN's primary adversary will be the Western Fleet of the IN and it will be more or less equally matched.
There is a pressing need for achieving complete network centricity in naval operations and investing heavily in EW, ECM and ESM. Special mission aircraft dedicated for naval use are also needed. With this setup in place, the PN will be able to employ it's new assets in a more efficient and lethal manner than the IN.
And it will be that efficiency and lethality that will make a difference.

No one is assuming anything here. This is a potential and thats what Pentagon will wow india with...

Same as Pakistan evaluating J-15 flying sharks which reminds me the F-14, TomCats from TopGun film and nothing less than Su-35 to have an air superiority over indian Ocean....
images (20).jpeg

Type 056A vs Type 054A/P
View attachment 663267
Sir your comments requested regarding HQ16 what version it shall existing one with 40KM+ range or improved one with 70 KM+ range. Further shall it be in full active mode or semi active.

On other hand there are rumors that Pakistan shall use own ASHM on these ships. Your comments requested.

Weapon specification is depending on PN's requirement. However, it is only sensible that PN should go for latest 70km range LY-80N (export variant of HQ16B),

Also, it is very likely that PN will choose domestic Pakistan made anti-ship missile as it has longer range (Harbah/Babur with 450 to 700 km range).

Chinese export missiles are restricted to maximum 280 km as China is following the rules of of MTCR (Missile Technology Control Regime), under which missiles with range of more than 300km are not allowed to be exported.

(China is not a member of MTCR, but it is following the rules nevertheless)

Last edited:
By 2030, 10 years from now, the PN's 'large' warfighting fleet composition will be as follows:
- 12 frigates (4x Type 054A/P, 4x Ada/Jinnah-class, 4x Zulfiqar-class)
- 2 corvettes (2x Yarmook-class)
- 11 fleet submarines (8x Hangor-class, 3x Khalid-class)

This does not take into account the smaller vessels (FACs, missile boats, mini-subs and auxiliaries) that are currently in service or on order.

The PN is poised to achieve near parity with India atleast in the subsurface domain. We have to remember that for a small duration conflict, the PN's primary adversary will be the Western Fleet of the IN and it will be more or less equally matched.
There is a pressing need for achieving complete network centricity in naval operations and investing heavily in EW, ECM and ESM. Special mission aircraft dedicated for naval use are also needed. With this setup in place, the PN will be able to employ it's new assets in a more efficient and lethal manner than the IN.
And it will be that efficiency and lethality that will make a difference.
The PN is working on a next-gen LRMPA with partners.

However, for a maritime fighter, the best course would be to work with the PAF on defining the requirements of AZM. Based on current info, AZM should meet the baseline in terms of payload and range (twin-engine, room for laser weapons, etc).

Basically, the PN can add a factor -- e.g., a marinized sub-variant with salt-erosion proofing, reinforced hardpoints for AShM, etc. Once AZM takes shape, AvRID can spin-off another development group to handle a PN variant, and then produce it a lower production-rate separate of the PAF force.

@Chak Bamu

The Indians are getting enveloped by the Pakistani and Chinese navies on both flanks of the Indian Ocean. Their naval expansion dreams have been completely dashed. In the next ten years, the Pakistani military service that is going to expand the most rapidly is that of the navy. Mark my words.

The Submarine base in Southern Bangladesh is well on its way with construction apace....Contractor is from China....

This is from hyperventilating Indian media,

@Ronin bhai - did you have an article or images on this sometime ago?

Weapon specification is depending on PN's requirement. However, it is only sensible that PN should go for latest 70km range LY-80N (export variant of HQ16B),

Also, it is very likely that PN will choose domestic Pakistan made anti-ship missile as it has longer range (Harbah/Babur with 450 to 700 km range).

Chinese export missiles are restricted to maximum 280 km as China is following the rules of of MTCR (Missile Technology Control Regime), under which missiles with range of 300km are not allowed to be exported.

How did got SCALP

PN doesn't have the corresponding system to support a shipboard antiship missile with a range of that long. Just like if China sells DF21 To Pakistan right now, Pakistan still won't be able to operate it. Surveillance, early warning, target tracking, information gathering, assessment after the attack. PN's system simply can't support such antiship missile of 700km.

Plus CM302 Is supersonic.

Chinese export missiles are restricted to maximum 280 km as China is following the rules of of MTCR (Missile Technology Control Regime), under which missiles with range of more than 300km are not allowed to be exported.

The construction of four 054ap will be done by 2021. But being ready for battle will require more time for PN.
So we will have all four before 2021...?
Its make us happy to know that 4 turkish made ships plus 8 subs are coming.

Same as Pakistan evaluating J-15 flying sharks which reminds me the F-14, TomCats from TopGun film and nothing less than Su-35 to have an air superiority over indian Ocean....View attachment 665168
J-15s will not be exported due to its closeness to the Su-33 (even though it was based on a Ukranian T-10K prototype). Russia would understandably be quite upset if China exported this ... Pakistan's best shot is the new J-35 fighter that is going to be unveiled next year. It would be much more advanced than the J-15 is anyway.

J-15s will not be exported due to its closeness to the Su-33 (even though it was based on a Ukranian T-10K prototype). Russia would understandably be quite upset if China exported this ... Pakistan's best shot is the new J-35 fighter that is going to be unveiled next year. It would be much more advanced than the J-15 is anyway.
If Pakistan wants access to the J-35, then it'll probably need to buy into the FC-31 early.

I say this because I think the J-35 and FC-31 will emerge as different fighters.

They may each come from the J-31v2 stock, but one's going to have specific design elements for maritime and carrier ops (J-35), while the other will likely be simpler and lower cost (FC-31). The latter would work for the PAF in most situations, but the J-35 is still worth gunning for as it'd be Pakistan's first true maritime fighter (e.g., longer-ranged, salt erosion-proofing, etc). However, I suspect it'll be one of those jets the Chinese may keep to their chests. So, the PAF may need to try to buy in.

If Pakistan wants access to the J-35, then it'll probably need to buy into the FC-31 early.

I say this because I think the J-35 and FC-31 will emerge as different fighters.

They may each come from the J-31v2 stock, but one's going to have specific design elements for maritime and carrier ops (J-35), while the other will likely be simpler (and lower-cost).

However, the J-35 would be a great addition for the PAF/PN as a maritime fighter as -- in my opinion -- it'll probably have salt-erosion-proofing and other changes. I don't think the PAF ever had a true maritime jet either, so this could be an interesting addition.
From a reliable insider connected to SAC, the FC-31 (land based) is progressing very slowly, which would mean there is a general lack of interest for it. But the carrier version is progressing very fast, as shown by the AVIC statement that it will fly next year. To me this shows that the J-35 and FC-31 are two separate projects than one; this means SAC is putting all its efforts towards the former rather than the latter. I think there is a very high chance the future Pakistani 5th generation fighter, whether it be AZM, will be tied to the J-35 as opposed to the FC-31. The only question is to what extent does the J-35 differ from the FC-31 (or how much better is it). This answer we will know in a few months.

They may each come from the J-31v2 stock, but one's going to have specific design elements for maritime and carrier ops (J-35), while the other will likely be simpler and lower cost (FC-31). The latter would work for the PAF in most situations, but the J-35 is still worth gunning for as it'd be Pakistan's first true maritime fighter (e.g., longer-ranged, salt erosion-proofing, etc). However, I suspect it'll be one of those jets the Chinese may keep to their chests. So, the PAF may need to try to buy in.
Bases on the information available so far, seems PAF haven't started corabrations with foreigner partners yet.
And I still can't believe there is no involvement in project AZM for engineers from JF-17 project (whether Pakistani or Chinese engineers).
The invaluable experience/expertise gained from jf-17 is not used for project AZM's early phase research by PAF

Back
Top Bottom