What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

I doubt PN have a strong air-strike force to face IN fleet while the Pakistani fleet was blocked at the port by IN fleet in 2019.Had PN ever tried to organize an air-fleet with more than 30 aircraft of various types to launch a saturation strike?
The exact opposite had happened in 2019, Feb. One PN sub had Port of Gujrat closed for four days. Insurance companies out of Singapore were even notified of the closure.

I doubt PN have a strong air-strike force to face IN fleet while the Pakistani fleet was blocked at the port by IN fleet in 2019.Had PN ever tried to organize an air-fleet with more than 30 aircraft of various types to launch a saturation strike?

Please remind me what happened in 2019as my memory is failing me, the PN fleet was blocked by IN in 2019?

BTW I was talking talking about MPAs, which have dual surveillance and strike roles. As you are such an expert, how MPAs does PN have and what types?

PN relies on PAF for air cover. There is a reason why the jf17 and mirage V are equipped with c802akg and cm400akg.

Also IN did not block anything during 2019. Rather the IN was blocked, but whatever floats your boat. Or should i say surface your submarine)))))))))))))))

The time for "filling numbers quickly" is now. 5 years from now we will have Babur in inventory while we will be ready to roll out Jinah a year after that. But currently we need more ships. If not 4 more Type 054, we should have atleast went for 2 more. After fulfillment of our 4 Type 054A order, the Chinese will close the production line. These are the last one to be produced if we don't order more. 2 years post closure of production line you won't be able to order more type 054A to "fill the number". But than I know we will have less money to spend on Babur and Jinah. It's a risky diploma.
Dont worry Chinese will follow up next version of type 54A with type 54B or some other advance type .. in same weight class

Dont worry Chinese will follow up next version of type 54A with type 54B or some other advance type .. in same weight class

There was a ship by the name 054B in news but we haven't heard anything about it since almost 4 years.

6CAD2FB6-D448-4863-8159-F699CEDE2A3C.jpeg

Coming with 1130 and not 730 like f-22p

There was a previous discussion on this thread regarding number of SAMs that can be actively guided by type54a is just two:
“The Type 344 (Mineral-ME Band Stand) radar above the bridge provides ship-ship missile control, over-the-horizon radar acquisition and target designation of surface vessels, while four Type 345 (Nato reporting name: MR-90 Front Dome) F-band radars provide two channels to guide two air defence missiles simultaneously.

Does it mean each FCR can guide 2 missiles or the combination of 4 provide the capability to guide only two simultaneously? This seems strange.
The Hq16 land version on the other hand has the capability to guide upto 8 missiles simultaneously
“ The radar guidance vehicle is equipped with an L band PESA that controls the missile launching and target illumination after the missile is fired. The radar has a range of 85 km and can detect up to 6 targets, track 4 simultaneously and provide fire control for 8 missiles.[2]

@Rashid Mahmood
@Bilal Khan (Quwa)
Would like your opinion on this as well.
@SQ8 @kursed
@Tipu7
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Because it doesn't exist. China is not investing in frigates anymore. Only destroyers. 055 is destroyer. 052D is heavy frigate.
There was a ship by the name 054B in news but we haven't heard anything about it since almost 4 years.
Can't rule it out either, there are opposite "news" on this, but none credible enough to make a conclusion.

Different from 054AP's role in PN, 054A plays ASW role in PLAN and so it's believed 054B/057 if exists also falls into this category. Though some believe ASW duties can be absorbed into a fast expanding fleet of 052D hence no more dedicated ASW warships needed.

Though in my own opinion, segregation of duties/assets is preferred. Theater AD and ASW are warfares in different domains, having dedicated warships for each increase flexibility in task fleet formation, risks are also scattered, not to mention completely different techs & tactics are employed. Hunting down enemy SSBN before they launch SLBM/CM, hunting down enemy SSN to protect our under-water second strike force, are both strategic priorities of PLAN, fancy AESA radars or orbital recon or HQ-9 or HQ-26 ASAT/ABM and such are all useless in this domain, I don't think PLAN treats this matter lightly. That's why I tend to believe next generation dedicated ASW warship is in the pipeline, with more stealthy propulsion tech (and IHEP), low "observability" hulls, more advanced towed array sonar tech, more UAV and USV (unmanned submersive vehicle) techs, advanced weaponry techs, etc.

Last edited:
Because it doesn't exist. China is not investing in frigates anymore. Only destroyers. 055 is destroyer. 052D is heavy frigate.
China is investing in Frigates. Type 54 A is coming and China gets all 50 Type 54 Submarines then it would go for Type 54 B or a new type of Frigate but that could be called a heavy Frigate or a light Destroyer. It would have similar firepower as French FREMM class.

China is investing in Frigates. Type 54 A is coming and China gets all 50 Type 54 Submarines then it would go for Type 54 B or a new type of Frigate but that could be called a heavy Frigate or a light Destroyer. It would have similar firepower as French FREMM class.
China will not be slowing down instead they will increase speed of induction in there Navy untill they think they can match American one to one, si alot of new and advance variants will seen in future to come

China will not be slowing down instead they will increase speed of induction in there Navy untill they think they can match American one to one, si alot of new and advance variants will seen in future to come
Ships China already matches. What China needs to work on is few things. First VLS systems for its Navy which can can cruise missiles and develop cruise missiles with range of 1600 to 2400 KM which can target ships on sea with same accuracy as they can hit targets on land. Plus Air Craft carriers and finally nuclear submarines both which carry cruise missiles and also those which carry ballistic missiles.

Ships China already matches. What China needs to work on is few things. First VLS systems for its Navy which can can cruise missiles and develop cruise missiles with range of 1600 to 2400 KM which can target ships on sea with same accuracy as they can hit targets on land. Plus Air Craft carriers and finally nuclear submarines both which carry cruise missiles and also those which carry ballistic missiles.
They are already working on multiple areas secretly, we know good in keeping secrets then surprise then world suddenly,

So looks like pn addressed all short coming of 054 by replacing radar and adding secondary volume search radar at the back

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom