What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

More closely, it can be Tughan Khan Tughril of the Delhi Sultanate?

Historically we have named our flagship Babur.
These original Turkic names represent strategies, skills, hard work, audacity, ambition etc. while portraying raw power and hell on the enemies without any qualms whatsoever….

I did see it, not really an accurate picture of the ship imo. He compares it to the Indian ships. Which while up on horsepower are down on firepower for their size. Either it’s because navies have different priorities or because they just packaged their ships badly because 054A has about the same power as most in its class, as you mentioned.
I saw that @Akh1112 replied to him as well, maybe he can share his thoughts on it here too, he can put it better than I.

I was thinking the same thing i.e. their ships lack firepower compared to other ships of such sizes. The Type 54AP moves at 28 knots so I'm not sure what his basis for the "Achilles heel" is.
I didn't see @Akh1112 12 reply to him. We've tagged him here anyway.

1634937543333.png

The commissioning ceremony of the lead-ship of the Tughril-Class of Guided Missile Frigates of the Pakistan Navy, PNS TUGHRIL, will take place in November 2021. This is the third Pakistan Navy warship to hold the name PNS Tughril after an O-Class Destroyer (1951) and a Gearing-Class Destroyer (1980).

The name "Babur" is used a lot in Pakistan
  • Babur Missile (Series I , II , III )
  • Babur Frigate (PNS Babur)
Interesting choice of name Opting for name Tughril a certain change from Norm

Some people have imagined Tipu to be name reserved for something special down the road

Surprisingly we do not use the Names of Companions of Prophet

Ababeel Missile name was very creative 100%

Caliph Names would be welcomed
  • Abu Baker
  • Umer
  • Ali
  • Usman
Other prominent figures
  • Hassan
  • Hussain
  • Abu Talib

Prominent General

Many Nishan-e Haider Recipient's names

Prominent Islamic Cities name
  • Mekkah
  • Medina
  • Istambul
  • Baghdad
  • Al Quds
  • Palestine (Country)

Hopefully when it comes time to name the Submarines , perhaps some considerations are made

Last edited:
The name "Babur" is used a lot in Pakistan
  • Babur Missile (Series I , II , III )
  • Babur Frigate (PNS Babur)
Interesting choice of name Opting for name Tughril a certain change from Norm

Some people have imagined Tipu to be name reserved for something special down the road

Surprisingly we do not use the Names of Companions of Prophet

Ababeel Missile name was very creative 100%
Not really, we have had two ships named Tughril

I did see it, not really an accurate picture of the ship imo. He compares it to the Indian ships. Which while up on horsepower are down on firepower for their size. Either it’s because navies have different priorities or because they just packaged their ships badly because 054A has about the same power as most in its class, as you mentioned.
I saw that @Akh1112 replied to him as well, maybe he can share his thoughts on it here too, he can put it better than I.
@waz

my thoughts remain the same really as what i said, these are ASW ships with the capability to defend themselves, unfortunately, i cant speak about the power generation and kinematic performance of the ship since its not something im clued up on, however, from what i can tell its not exactly much slower than comparable vessels, so there's that.

With regards to sensors and whatnot, my views are pretty much something like this;

theyre not bad ships, but the thing is, its not ideal for this day and age, if these were being bought 15-20 years ago, I'd be pretty excited, however, they're not something that will keep the enemy up at night.

Though, im not going to discount the fact that these were sold at a rate below what the PLAN pays, alongside this, they are produced fast and bring a new capability.

TBH, id actually be pretty content if the PN decided to buy more of these, however, not new build, rather, used PLAN hulls at a discounted rate, like the BN with their 053H3's, i think its a great way to build up a backbone for the PN, since while, officially they are ASW ships, they are very much multi-role and can take on whatever is thrown at them to an extent lol.

The downfall of these Indian defence geniuses is that they're like, PN smol haha we win!

They seem to forget quite quickly that their force has to be spread between the PN and then the worlds second-largest navy, which then should really make them realise that their perceived advantage may not be as great as they want. They also seem to forget that the PN is a defensive force by nature, 50 missile-equipped surface ships, with a 16+ submarine fleet, supported by land-based batteries of missiles, radars and SAM's could put a spanner in the works for them, especially since the PN will continue to develop their systems on a qualitative basis, since they cant match on a quantitative one, idiots forget we have 1/8th of the coastline to defend lol

BTW, i dont come here too often anymore, if you need me to reply faster, you can @ me on twitter, i always check it, @isipuppet. Eventually ill get on to posting more technical stuff again, im a bit tired lately

Last edited:
Rest of world's navy discuss about the specifications, Radar, aranments and other technology in a system, meanwhile in Pakistan, our people fight over names :hitwall:

You are wrong , in pak everyone is experts of air, sea and land warefare, strategy , tactic …. And the list goes on
Politics , religion ,.,..

And especially preach and practice How to do …
😂

PN only need to sink 1/3 of IN fleet the remaining 2/3 would be sunk by incompetent IN itself.

Trust me,PN can't defeat India's fleet by ship independently,what ever how many weapons you put on your ship.When at war with India,what PN actually needs are planes and submarines.

Rest of world's navy discuss about the specifications, Radar, aranments and other technology in a system, meanwhile in Pakistan, our people fight over names :hitwall:

Most people on PDF don’t seem to care what the official name ends up, we will still call it the Type 054A/P regardless of what they decide. Same with the F-22P Frigates. The Type 21s had a name but we always called them the type 21s.

All this is to say, those actually the discussing the ships, with some knowledge of them, such aa here on PDF, will ask what weapons the ships carry and what is the performance of the radars.

btw, speaking of weapons, I hope they have provisions to fire 533mm torpedo out the stern. Seems to be the way western navies plan to launch the larger Torpedos without having the bulky tubes taking up deck space. A few long range Torpedos could be decisive in an ASW scenario.

The first contract for 30 type 054A was completed. China navy has signed a second contract for another 20 improved type 054A.

First 2 ships of the second contract have been launched this year and are under out-fitting. They will probably launch another 2 ships before end of 2021. The rest of the ships are expected to be launched within 4 to 5 years time.

What improvement this batch will have over previous ships?

That must be way back in the 70's / 80's, I remember the old destroyers my father served on in the 70's Taimoore, Babur, Badar

Abu Talib Muhammad Tughril ibn Mika'il (Persian: ابوطالب محمد تغریل بن میکائیل‎), better known as Tughril (طغریل; also spelled Toghril), was a Turkoman chieftain, who founded the Seljuk Empire, ruling from 1037 to 1063.

I once served on the Gearing Class Destroyer PNS Tughril (D-167).
People discuss what they are capable of discussing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom