What's new

Featured Pakistan Navy Type 054AP Frigates - Update, News & Discussion

You sir are a jedi. I dont think anyone else had the name in their minds. Its a goodnand strong name...(cue all the people complaining whynare we taking names from others' history)...

Frankly i think it will be a cool name. Second ship and be PNS Ertugrul, 3rd can be PNS Turgut, 4th can be PNS Bamsi! Lolz :p::p:

I suspect however that with the Albatross NG air defense system and Genesis Advent CMS that PNS Babur (of the Babur class) will remain the ship which carries the honor of being the PN flagship.

Is that the MILGEM Corvette or the expanded Jinnah class destroyer

Is that the MILGEM Corvette or the expanded Jinnah class destroyer
The Babur class is the name being given to the modified Ada's/MILGEMs being delivered to PN and are currently under construction. The Jinnah's apparently will be the development of Babur which PN is doing next.

Frankly im not too worried about thae closure of the line. The PLAN has something like 32 of these ships. Original plan was for 50 so im not sure if that was curtailed or not, but even if the line shuts, China will likely not stop producing frigates, so as they produce more Frigates, PN will likely be able to procure those or used 054A.
The first contract for 30 type 054A was completed. China navy has signed a second contract for another 20 improved type 054A.

First 2 ships of the second contract have been launched this year and are under out-fitting. They will probably launch another 2 ships before end of 2021. The rest of the ships are expected to be launched within 4 to 5 years time.

The first contract for 30 type 054A was completed. China navy has signed a second contract for another 20 improved type 054A.

First 2 ships of the second contract have been launched this year and are under out-fitting. They will probably launch another 2 ships before end of 2021. The rest of the ships are expected to be launched within 4 to 5 years time.
Yeah the 054A+ as it is referred to. As i said, i suspect they arent done with 054A (its a solid design which theoretically could be upgraded with better systems as the tech becomes available). But even if they are it doesnt close the option of chinese frigates. After all F-22P and C28A were based on the defunct 053 which the PLAN wasnt building any longer. They still built them for Pn and Algeria. Plus PN could likely source used 054A in a pinch if necessary.

Type 054AP is a rather poor and dated design, 4200 ton ship but has less space for weaponry than the Babur class. Even the model of the Jinnah is better.

Plus, given how the Babur class went, the final product of the Jinnah won’t be the same as the model anyways. We still don’t know the Baburs actual configuration even after seeing a dozen models and posters for it.
Trust me,PN can't defeat India's fleet by ship independently,what ever how many weapons you put on your ship.When at war with India,what PN actually needs are planes and submarines.

Trust me,PN can't defeat India's fleet by ship independently,what ever how many weapons you put on your ship.When at war with India,what PN actually needs are planes and submarines.
Eh. I could change that message to “Trust me, PN can’t defeat Indians fleet by submarine/jets independently. Whatever how many weapons you put on your submarine/jet, when at war with India, what PN actually needs are large surface combatants” and the message would still mean the same thing.

A submarine isn’t more important than a surface ship or Vice versa, similarly neither are more important than planes and Vice versa. Modern warfare is combined arms warfare, each and every part of the force is as important as the other when working correctly to support the other. That’s why PN is buying all of them. If we just buy submarines and planes and forgo ships, who will do the AD? Who will carry the AShMs?
they’re all equally important.

Eh. I could change that message to “Trust me, PN can’t defeat Indians fleet by submarine/jets independently. Whatever how many weapons you put on your submarine/jet, when at war with India, what PN actually needs are large surface combatants” and the message would still mean the same thing.

A submarine isn’t more important than a surface ship or Vice versa, similarly neither are more important than planes and Vice versa. Modern warfare is combined arms warfare, each and every part of the force is as important as the other when working correctly to support the other. That’s why PN is buying all of them. If we just buy submarines and planes and forgo ships, who will do the AD? Who will carry the AShMs?
they’re all equally important.

The planes have much higher efficiency at anti-ship mission,you can launch 100+ ASM to attack your enemy's fleet that are 1000KM away at one time with around 30 strike-jet,and even more you can launch similar attacks two or three times per day.That why a fleet with carrier can massacre a fleet without carrier easily.

The planes have much higher efficiency at anti-ship mission,you can launch 100+ ASM to attack your enemy's fleet that are 1000KM away at one time with around 30 strike-jet.That why a fleet with carrier can massacre a fleet without carrier easily.
That’s a very general statement. Planes can do one thing at a time. Ships can do several, while also being at sea for months, unlike planes. Also, a carrier is a ship.…

And just because you have a carrier doesn’t mean you’re going to win “easily”
It depends on how much you’re able to even do with that carrier. Or how much the enemy allows you to do with it. Interestingly enough while the best way to deal with a carrier is aircraft, the best way to deal with a carriers strike group is again, with a ships SAMs. So where does that come back to? All elements of a navy are just as important.

That’s a very general statement. Planes can do one thing at a time. Ships can do several, while also being at sea for months, unlike planes. Also, a carrier is a ship.…

And just because you have a carrier doesn’t mean you’re going to win “easily”
It depends on how much you’re able to even do with that carrier. Or how much the enemy allows you to do with it. Interestingly enough while the best way to deal with a carrier is aircraft, the best way to deal with a carriers strike group is again, with a ships SAMs. So where does that come back to? All elements of a navy are just as important.

I means you don't have to focus at the firepower of a ship when your flagship is a FFG or even a DDG,their firepower can never be a threat to a fleet with carrier.Save your money and spend it on the planes,you will reap more.PN actaully need a ship with good seaworthiness,good anti-sub capability and a proper anti-air,anti-ship capability to protect Pakistan's maritime interests and expel the invading submarines at the peace time.at the time of war, please hand it over to the air force to solve the enemy fleet.remenber one words:if you can not control the sky,you can never control the sea.

Last edited:
Why can’t we name ships after Pakistani naval heros? The crews of PNS Ghazi and PNS Hangoor should provide a long enough list.

What does it mean?

Tughril ka matlab kia hai?

Abu Talib Muhammad Tughril ibn Mika'il (Persian: ابوطالب محمد تغریل بن میکائیل‎), better known as Tughril (طغریل; also spelled Toghril), was a Turkoman chieftain, who founded the Seljuk Empire, ruling from 1037 to 1063.

I once served on the Gearing Class Destroyer PNS Tughril (D-167).

Here's something;

He claims the 054AP will be underpowered, even though it is comparable to most other ships of its size. 4x Shaanxi Diesel engines 4 x 7 600hp for 30 400hp ship total.

He then contradicts himself and says the Type 382 radar, then writes later about the advantages of the SR2410C RD radar

Last edited:
Here's something;

He claims the 054AP will be underpowered, even though it is comparable to most other ships of its size. 4x Shaanxi Diesel engines 4 x 7 600hp for 30 400hp ship total.

He then contradicts himself and says the Type 382 radar, then writes later about the advantages the SR2410C RD radar.
I did see it, not really an accurate picture of the ship imo. He compares it to the Indian ships. Which while up on horsepower are down on firepower for their size. Either it’s because navies have different priorities or because they just packaged their ships badly because 054A has about the same power as most in its class, as you mentioned.
I saw that @Akh1112 replied to him as well, maybe he can share his thoughts on it here too, he can put it better than I.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom